Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

DCA - Is There a TSA Security Directive Not to Issue Gate PassesSun Jan 11, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA - Is There a TSA Security Directive Not to Issue Gate PassesSun Jan 11, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire

I was at DCA on Sun Jan 11, and an airline agent & supervisor refused to issue a gate pass under circumstances where a gate pass would normally be issued and allowed.

The agent and supervisor were otherwise not helpful, so my guess is they just did not issue the gate pass out of some mean streak.

However, in due dilligence, I must ask if there is some kind of TSA security directive not to issue gate passes at DCA? I know in the past security levels would change, and for example, curbside checkin of bags would not be allowed.

I know also in some circumstances the airline agent is prohibitted by TSA rules from providing information to a passenger. For example, if you are selected for extra screening with the SSS on your boarding pass, even though it is obvious, my understanding of the TSA rules is that the agent cannot advise you or confirm to you that you have been selected for the additional security screening?

So I can certainly imagine there may be some directive where TSA may prohibit gate passes at a particular airport in a particular point of time, but I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about DCA for the point of time of Sun Jan 11?

I am following up with the air carrier as well, but I want to chase down as many leads and posibilities as I can to understand this and FT is a great resource for that!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: US Chairman
Without knowing the reasons you are requesting a gate pass, it's kind of hard to specifically say why you would be denied a pass (although it does say to contact the airline well in advance). Anyways, straight from their website (http://www.metwashairports.com/reagan/reagan.htm):

How to Meet a Passenger at the Gate
While only ticketed passengers are allowed beyond security, airlines may issue gate passes to non-ticketed visitors in special circumstances, such as when the ticketed traveler is a minor or has special needs. Please contact your airline directly well in advance of travel to determine if this option is available. All same-day gate pass requests are handled at the ticket counter at the discretion of the airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.