Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Connecting in IAD Domestic to Int'l (and visa versa)

Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

So I'm trying to plan our travels this winter, and I'm a bit concerned about connecting both ways at IAD

For our outbound leg:
We depart JFK on a JetBlue flight landing at 7:10
Need to connect to an Etihad flight to AUH departing at 9:30 PM

We will need to collect our bags, switch terminals, and check our bags for our international flight. That seems like it should be doable (albeit quite stressful/rushed) in the time we have, but I'd love some advice/opinions on how tight it will be.

For our return leg:
Arrive at IAD from DXB on an Etihad flight landing at 5:40 PM
Need to connect to a Jetblue flight to JFK departing at 7:44 PM

We will have to collect our bags, clear customs (we have global entry), change terminals, and check our bags in for the domestic leg.

Any thoughts on potential snags in our plans? Am I just risking too much with these connections (it wouldn't be a big deal at all to me if I didn't have to check bags, but that part scares me)

Thanks in advance - JP
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Also, I wanted to confirm the requirements for timing of checked bags prior to departure.

For the Int'l flights, I believe it should be 60 minutes (which gives us 80 minutes to deplane, collect our bags, transfer terminals, and check in).

For the domestic leg, I believe I should be fine as long as we check out bag 30 minutes prior to departure. That would give us 90 minutes to deplane, clear customs/immigration, collect our bags, transfer terminals, then check in to our final flight.

Seems like a lot, but my other options involve an additional 4/5 hours of travel time
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
outbound: I think this is risky in any case, but will be very dependent on day of the week; I'd have much less confidence in that connection working well on a Thu or Fri, since in my experience at JFK (all domestic DL in the last 6+ years) those evenings have consistently been more prone to long delays ... yes schedules are padded, but that padding doesn't account for 10 minutes in the alley leaving Terminal 2 and another 75 minutes in the conga line to Runway 22R

return: I think this is a crapshoot ... that said, in the past couple weeks I can only recall seeing a handful of other international carriers' flights (Brussels, Qatar, Air France) arriving around this hour, so I'm pretty sure it's a fairly low-demand time for customs and immigration
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Outbound should give you enough time to catch your flight. But return flight is very risky. You are cutting it very close.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
outbound: I think this is risky in any case, but will be very dependent on day of the week; I'd have much less confidence in that connection working well on a Thu or Fri, since in my experience at JFK (all domestic DL in the last 6+ years) those evenings have consistently been more prone to long delays ... yes schedules are padded, but that padding doesn't account for 10 minutes in the alley leaving Terminal 2 and another 75 minutes in the conga line to Runway 22R

return: I think this is a crapshoot ... that said, in the past couple weeks I can only recall seeing a handful of other international carriers' flights (Brussels, Qatar, Air France) arriving around this hour, so I'm pretty sure it's a fairly low-demand time for customs and immigration
I guess I could have given a little extra info on my dates.

For the outbound, we are traveling Tuesday December 23rd. Obviously that's a busy time for the airports.

For the return, we are traveling on Sunday January 4th. Again, another VERY busy time for traveling.

The things going in our favor are that we're traveling from IAD>AUH in F, and for IAD>JFK, we arrive in J. We also have global entry.

Additionally, we live in NYC and if I get the sense that there are major flight delays on the 23rd, I'd just jump on an Amtrak train down to DC, or even rent a car and drive.

Not sure if I'm just trying to convince myself here or what, but figured that extra info might help
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
B6 interlines with EK. Presuming that you are one ticket, your bags will be checked through from JFK to AUH and you will walk airside between your B6 and EK gates. If there is lousy weather and you choose to Amtrak to WAS, make sure that B6 cancels the xJFK segment or your entire ticket will be cancelled.

On the return, you will briefly reclaim your bags at Customs, drop them, head back through security and off to your B6 gate.

If you are on separate tickets, this is a problem. Particularly on the outbound where you are pretty much out of options if your B6 flight is late and you no show for your EK flight.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
B6 interlines with EK. Presuming that you are one ticket, your bags will be checked through from JFK to AUH and you will walk airside between your B6 and EK gates.

On the return, you will briefly reclaim your bags at Customs, drop them, head back through security and off to your B6 gate.

If you are on separate tickets, this is a problem. Particularly on the outbound where you are pretty much out of options if your B6 flight is late and you no show for your EK flight.
Not on the same ticket, so it might be a problem. As I mentioned before, if there are major delays, I would just jump on an Accela earlier that day
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread as I move it to the Washington, D.C. Forum.
Thanks....
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are on separate tickets, this really is risky. Acela to IAD is a bit of a PITA because you still have to schlep from WAS to IAD and that can take a while during rush hour.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Even if on separate tickets, you might be able to get your bags checked through - I'm not an expert on that so check with the airlines.

But I am an expert on Dulles. Etihad passengers pre-clear US CBP before getting on the plane (like most flights from Canada to the US) - so the Etihad arrival at IAD is treated as a domestic arrival. (I believe they now have Global Entry at that pre-clearance facility.) At Dulles, Etihad uses gate A14 and jetBlue uses gates around B66 - those gates are at opposite ends of the same physical building - perhaps a 12 minute stroll between gates.

If the bags are checked through, you should have no problem at all with these connections. If you have to claim checked bags and re-check them at Dulles, you might have a problem - especially on the return. Etihad checked bags arrive on domestic arrivals carousel 11 and it is a huge scrum there with not enough room for all the people, greeters, and bags.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input thus far. I figured I should provide an update (with our current thought process/planning):

I booked Jetblue flight 1407 from JFK > IAD on 12/23. The flight is scheduled to land at 7:07 PM.

We are connecting to Etihad flight 103 from JFK > AUH scheduled to depart at 9:50 PM (My initial post stated 9:30 PM which was wrong).

This (in theory) gives us 2 hours and 43 minutes to get our bags and check into our Etihad flight.

Should there be any potential for flight delays, my wife and I booked an "insurance policy" with Amtrak for $98, so we could jump on a train from Penn Station NYC arriving at Union Station at 6:25 PM (3.5 hrs before our flight). I understand there will be traffic getting to IAD, but it's hard to imagine that a 3.5 hr buffer wouldn't give us enough time to make it for check in.

The only real way we can get screwed is if we decide to take the Jetblue flight, everything looks good the day of leading up to it, then our flight somehow gets delayed once we're actually at JFK. If that happens, not sure what we would do, but that's the [calculated] risk we're taking

On the way back, our flight (EY 131) is scheduled to arrive at 5:40 PM. We booked a $150 pp Accela to Penn Station NYC (which is a 10 minute cab ride from our apt) at 8:00 PM. I think the timing should be fine for that as well, and we actually get home at a similar time compared to the Jetblue flight departing at 7:44 PM that I suggested initially.

Took a bit of work, but I think I'm more comfortable now with our flights/transportation.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by jpripcord
I booked Jetblue flight 1407 from JFK > IAD on 12/23. The flight is scheduled to land at 7:07 PM.

We are connecting to Etihad flight 103 from JFK > AUH scheduled to depart at 9:50 PM (My initial post stated 9:30 PM which was wrong).
I'm very confused here. Shouldn't your second paragraph quoted above read EY 130 (not 103) from IAD > AUH (not from JFK). Am I missing something in your explanation?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annandaler
I'm very confused here. Shouldn't your second paragraph quoted above read EY 130 (not 103) from IAD > AUH (not from JFK). Am I missing something in your explanation?
Yes, it's 130, not 103
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Your return back-up makes no sense. If you want to catch a train at 8 pm then you better be in the cab by 7 pm and you will be dashing to get on the train. In a best case scenario stepping off the plane no later than 6:30 pm. More like 6:15 pm.

On the other hand, it has been established that your bags interline so with pre-clearance they will go straight to Jetblue. If your Ethiad flight is delayed then you will be able to catch Jetblue as long as you get off the plane by 7:15 pm. Then your bags might not make it, but you will be able to catch the flight. It's actually an ideal connection......

I don't know anything Amtrak but if the train tickets are non-refundable then it's certainly a waste.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Annandaler
Even if on separate tickets, you might be able to get your bags checked through - I'm not an expert on that so check with the airlines.

But I am an expert on Dulles. Etihad passengers pre-clear US CBP before getting on the plane (like most flights from Canada to the US) - so the Etihad arrival at IAD is treated as a domestic arrival. (I believe they now have Global Entry at that pre-clearance facility.) At Dulles, Etihad uses gate A14 and jetBlue uses gates around B66 - those gates are at opposite ends of the same physical building - perhaps a 12 minute stroll between gates.

If the bags are checked through, you should have no problem at all with these connections. If you have to claim checked bags and re-check them at Dulles, you might have a problem - especially on the return. Etihad checked bags arrive on domestic arrivals carousel 11 and it is a huge scrum there with not enough room for all the people, greeters, and bags.

Hope this helps.
Are you sure about DXB pre-clearance? I thought that was just AUH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.