Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Indian food around D.C

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Good Indian food around D.C

Any suggestion on good Indian restaurants in around D.C area.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by modia39
Any suggestion on good Indian restaurants in around D.C area.
Indian in DC itself ranges from very good (and expensive) to average (and over-priced). I can't speak to places in the suburbs, as I don't frequent them.
Probably the best place in DC itself is Rasika. It has two locations: 633 D St NW and the West End one at 1190 New Hampshire Ave NW.
If either of those are too rich for your budget, then I'd suggest Indique, which is right at the Cleveland Park metro stop on the Red Line.
If you like your curries served in a somewhat old school Raj-esque atmosphere, I'd suggest The Bombay Club, down by the White House.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA GS
I would second Rasika at 6th and D. Also, https://tylercowensethnicdiningguide.com is a great resource for restaurants in DC, but they are a bit weak on Indian, as is all of DC in my opinion, although it would love to be proven wrong.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
You have to come out to suburbia for good Indian food. Woodlands in Fairfax has an excellent vegetarian buffet, for example. And there are now 3 branches of Curry Mantra in northern Virginia.

Delhi Darbar in Clarendon is also pretty decent.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Rasika, as mentioned above, is excellent but pricey.

I don't know what area you'll be in, but there's a place in downtown Silver Spring called Ghar-E-Kebab, which is Indian/Nepali. They're also quite good and much more moderately priced.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Masala Art on Wisconsin Avenue in Tenleytown is also very good, and more reasonably priced than Rasika, which appropriately deserves lots of recommendations.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I like Aroma on Eye street for DC eating and Jaipur in Fairfax for weekends.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
I'll second the recommendation for Jaipur. This was a popular spot for group lunches when I worked in Fairfax.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:24 pm

Been to Indique. It's more Indian-style than true Indian, and the emphasis seems to be more style than food. It reminded me of how Disneyworld might do Indian.

Agree that Indian in the district, like all too many restaurants, is over-priced, especially for what you get. makes sense, since very few immigrants (other than latino) live in the district. They all seem to settle in various suburbs - Chinese in Rockville/Gaithersburg, Korean in Annandale, Vietnamese near Eden Plaza, Indian out toward Dulles, Phillipine s. PG county. Agree on Tyler Cohen's blog - great resource.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I'm still waiting for Del Ray's Bombay Curry House to reopen (the renovation work is taking forever), but I recently enjoyed a meal at the Sri Lankan restaurant Shakthi in the Arlandria area of Alexandria, across the street from RT's and a minute's walk from the Birchmere. It's in the building that used to house the Po Siam Restaurant and they serve Sri Lankan, Indian and a handful of Thai dishes. The Saturday night service was a little slow, but the food was well worth the wait.

https://tylercowensethnicdiningguide.com/?p=2795

Last edited by Rampo; Mar 2, 2014 at 10:09 am
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Heh. You mean Bombay Curry Company.

Their vindaloo was a "no kidding" experience in terms of heat. Wow!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:03 pm

Had the lunch buffet today at Curry Mantra in Fairfax. Butter chicken was excellent, goat curry was also good. Unfortunately no biryani at the buffet, I'll have to do that outside of lunch hours. Not totally relevant to out of town guests, but they deliver! They said the radius was 5-6 miles.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Heh. You mean Bombay Curry Company
You are quite correct. With any luck I'll be able to enjoy their lamb vindaloo at SOME point in 2014.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Heritage India near World bank

Recently had lunch at Heritage, 1901 Pennsylvania near World bank. Looks like there are several DC locations run by the same group, but can only speak about this one. Had the buffet on recommendation of a colleague and must say the quality was well above usual Indian buffet fare. Plan to go back and order from the menu in the near future. The entrance is on 19th Street, around the corner from CVS and down a flight of stairs from the street but signage is pretty good.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I ate at Bombay Club a couple years ago and was very impressed. The waiter asked me if I had been there before and I said no. Then he asked if I had much experience with Indian food. I told him yes, on a few visits to India and many to London. He then said if you want they had a dish not on the menu that was a fish dish with a very interesting curry I might like to try. I went for that and it was really first rate. I really liked the place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.