IAD international to domestic transfer question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD international to domestic transfer question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
When you arrive on KL651 you will be processed in the IAB facility. After Passport Control (Global Entry for you?), you retrieve checked bags and head for the exit. Note that there is no longer a checkpoint at the exit (where CBP previously collected receipts. Go through a double door at the exit into the baggage re-check area where there are "usually" United agents at the desk there. If there aren't any United agents there, you will need to head for the United ticket counter - on the upper level, at the far end of the Terminal building from IAB.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bear in mind that because you are on separate tickets, that you will actually be required to wait to check the bag rather than simply drop it off with UA. If there is any kind of a line, simply head upstairs with your bag, walk down to the UA area and check the bag there or if you are really crafty, with a Skycap.

Allow a lot of time for this transfer because it is not a connection.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Annandaler
When you arrive on KL651 you will be processed in the IAB facility. After Passport Control (Global Entry for you?), you retrieve checked bags and head for the exit. Note that there is no longer a checkpoint at the exit (where CBP previously collected receipts. Go through a double door at the exit into the baggage re-check area where there are "usually" United agents at the desk there. If there aren't any United agents there, you will need to head for the United ticket counter - on the upper level, at the far end of the Terminal building from IAB.
Slightly OT: Does the new exit arrangement change the experience when using Global Entry? Is there now an officer stationed near the kiosks to review/collect the GE receipts?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
Hi all! I'll be arriving at IAD on a United flight from Frankfurt. I have a domestic flight, also on United, two hours later. This is a separate ticket. I have some questions about this connection.

1) If I have my luggage tagged and checked-through, and my domestic boarding pass issued, at the point of origin, do I follow the Transfer signs to Mid-field Concourse C just like a passenger on a single ticket?

2) Will a United Express flight (operated by Mesa) usually depart from Concourse C/D? What will happen if it departs from other concourses?

I have a Star Alliance Gold card. The international flight is on business class while the separate domestic flight is in economy. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by marcelduchamp; Jul 22, 2018 at 4:58 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by marcelduchamp
Hi all! I'll be arriving at IAD on a United flight from Frankfurt. I have a domestic flight, also on United, two hours later. This is a separate ticket. I have some questions about this connection.

1) If I have my luggage tagged and checked-through, and my domestic boarding pass issued, at the point of origin, do I follow the Transfer signs to Mid-field Concourse C just like a passenger on a single ticket?

2) Will a United Express flight (operated by Mesa) usually depart from Concourse C/D? What will happen if it departs from other concourses?

I have a Star Alliance Gold card. The international flight is on business class while the separate domestic flight is in economy. Thanks in advance!
You are NOT connecting. You have two separate itineraries.
Both are on UA. That provides some level of comfort, but it also means you are not protected in the event of the your inbound flight being delayed.
1. You will have to show both itineraries to the check-in agent in FRA and ask that your bags be sent to final destination. Yes on following "Transfer" signs.
2. It would help if you provided your destination ... no way of knowing at the moment. Could depart from A gates.
marcelduchamp likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
Thank you for your reply. I'll get to the airport early and hope the agent can help me.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:28 am

I am flying into IAD on NH, got them to tag my bag to SFO (have another flight on AS, separate ticket). Can I just drop it off at the belt when I get through customs?
AS office will not be open at that time. I am planning just doing online checkin for AS flight
Old May 10, 2019, 8:22 am

Emirates to Delta at IAD

I will be arriving from DXB into IAD and transferring to a Delta Airlines flight to Atlanta (separate ticket). As Emirates and Delta do not have an interline baggage agreement I understand I will need to clear customs, pick up my bags and recheck my bags with Delta under the separate ticket. I am unfamiliar with the IAD airport and wonder if anyone can give insight on how difficult this will be. I did the same thing last year at JFK and the Delta baggage recheck outside customs would not accept the bags and I had to carry them to the Delta terminal (walking outside) to check the bags at the counter. I am trying to avoid this fiasco at IAD. I assume Emirates and Delta operate out of different terminals at IAD, how does one get from one terminal to the other? My other option is to use the Emirates car service included in my ticket and have Emirates take me to DCA, though that seems like a lot work to avoid having to carry bags from one terminal to another to recheck. Any comments on the process at IAD will be greatly appreciated.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The flow at IAD is relatively easy. Post CBP, simply take your bag up the closest escalator and the DL counter will be to your left as you face the roadway. There is also an elevator if you have your bag on a cart. Should take an extra 3-4 minutes to get to the DL line. You will then check the bag at DL, head out though a checkpoint and to the gate.

No reason to head to DCA unless you find better timings which make it worth the hassle of a drive.

Last edited by Often1; May 10, 2019 at 9:18 am
Old May 14, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Often1
The flow at IAD is relatively easy. Post CBP, simply take your bag up the closest escalator and the DL counter will be to your left as you face the roadway. There is also an elevator if you have your bag on a cart. Should take an extra 3-4 minutes to get to the DL line. You will then check the bag at DL, head out though a checkpoint and to the gate.

No reason to head to DCA unless you find better timings which make it worth the hassle of a drive.
this is very accurate.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Pre-check from International to Domestic at IAD?

Is there pre-check at midfield connection security at IAD when you arrive from an international flight with checked bags and connect to a domestic one (all UA if that matters)? I believe there was not in the past and do not know if they set that up there.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Is there pre-check at midfield connection security at IAD when you arrive from an international flight with checked bags and connect to a domestic one (all UA if that matters)? I believe there was not in the past and do not know if they set that up there.
I went through this past weekend. There were separate security lines for US/Pre-Check and non-US citizens. From what I could tell, they were giving all US citizens the PreCheck treatment (no laptops out of bag, etc).
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:40 am

Question - if I book a "connection" on UA but the arriving international flight is into Dulles and the departing connecting flight is later that evening from DCA, is it safe to assume that the system will be smart enough to route my luggage to the IAB rather than the concourse C facility, since I have to pick it up to transport it to DCA? Has anyone actually done this successfully?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:26 pm

I am coming from Hong Kong-LAX-IAD at 602am on American Airlines and transferring to Buffalo on a 830am United Airlines flight on a separate ticket.

With no interline agreement, will 2.5 hours be enough for me to claim my baggage and recheck for the IAD-Buffalo flight at 830am?

And in a second scenario that I do not have any checked bags, what’s the procedure for airside transit? Since LAX will be my first port of entry, I assume there isn’t a need to go through customs at IAD.

I am a non citizen with no Global Entry/TSA precheck. Thanks.

Last edited by mapleaves; Jul 16, 2019 at 1:04 pm
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by mapleaves
I am coming from Hong Kong-LAX-IAD at 602am on American Airlines and transferring to Buffalo on a 830am United Airlines flight on a separate ticket.

With no interline agreement, will 2.5 hours be enough for me to claim my baggage and recheck for the IAD-Buffalo flight at 830am?

And in a second scenario that I do not have any checked bags, what’s the procedure for airside transit? Since LAX will be my first port of entry, I assume there isn’t a need to go through customs at IAD.

I am a non citizen with no Global Entry/TSA precheck. Thanks.
If everything runs on time, there shouldn't be a problem for scenario 1. In scenario 2, you can make the transfer airside. You'll either be going to terminal B (AA) to A (United Express) or to C/D. B to A is an easy walk. B to C/D is two train rides. Figure no more than 30 minutes gate to gate in either case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.