DC hotel. Downtown or airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta: Gold; UA: Silver; AS: MVP; Southwest: A list; Marriott: Platinum Premier

Hi, this is my first thread at FlyerTalk.

My girlfriend and I are planning to trip to DC during the Cherry Blossom Festival the first week of April. We will arrive at DCA Friday night (actually 12:40AM Saturday morning!) and leave from DCA Sunday night. We have two plans

1. rent a car at DCA for the whole weekend, which costs about $60, at find a hotel around airport with free parking, drive to downtown everyday to see national mall, white house, etc. Hotels around airport are very affordable. $100-$120 for hotels like Hilton, Westin, etc.

2. use public transportation and live in downtown. Hotels are much more expensive, but it's very convenient and don't need to worry about parking.

Could you folks give us some advice? Is it wise to rent a car and drive in DC? Traffic and parking are my biggest concern.

Thanks a lot!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i don't stay in hotels in dc, but those hotel prices sound a bit low for dca. maybe the hilton at iad. you should be able to park over near nationals stadium, or rfk, if the season has not begun(guessing $30-40). the walk is about 2 miles. you will not be able to drive in dc, let alone park at cherry blossom time. you may not be able to get a hotel in dc, either. you should be able to get a hotel someplace out in the boonies and be able to take the metro in. not a bad choice for economy. about half the highschool seniors come to dc for the cherry blossoms. do not make the mistake of going to the wrong area for hotel. i live in a wrong area.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Depending upon your price point, in the District is a no brainier. Even near DCA you won't need a car, foolish there, use the Metro to go everywhere you need in DC.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Verify your airport. I'm surprised that there is a scheduled 12:40am arrival at DCA -- my gut says IAD, which is a very different proposition -- it is far away from D.C. proper.

To do tourist stuff like cherry blossoms, White House, etc., you do not want a car. Just a big hassle. Driving around the cherry blossom area (tidal basin) is a traffic nightmare. Even walking around there is congested at peak times.

Also, this belongs in the DC forum.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Verify your airport. I'm surprised that there is a scheduled 12:40am arrival at DCA -- my gut says IAD, which is a very different proposition -- it is far away from D.C. proper.

To do tourist stuff like cherry blossoms, White House, etc., you do not want a car. Just a big hassle. Driving around the cherry blossom area (tidal basin) is a traffic nightmare. Even walking around there is congested at peak times.

Also, this belongs in the DC forum.
there are two planes that land at about that time. one from MIA and one from DFW. they blow over my house at about 1230. at least one comes in heavy flaps, heavy throttle.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by ysquared2
Hi, this is my first thread at FlyerTalk.

My girlfriend and I are planning to trip to DC during the Cherry Blossom Festival the first week of April. We will arrive at DCA Friday night (actually 12:40AM Saturday morning!) and leave from DCA Sunday night. We have two plans

1. rent a car at DCA for the whole weekend, which costs about $60, at find a hotel around airport with free parking, drive to downtown everyday to see national mall, white house, etc. Hotels around airport are very affordable. $100-$120 for hotels like Hilton, Westin, etc.

2. use public transportation and live in downtown. Hotels are much more expensive, but it's very convenient and don't need to worry about parking.

Could you folks give us some advice? Is it wise to rent a car and drive in DC? Traffic and parking are my biggest concern.

Thanks a lot!
Regardless as to which airport you're arriving, driving in DC is horrible and parking is worse (and expensive). Metro and walking will get you everywhere. If you're coming into Dullest, your best bet would be to either cab it into the city (Roughly $60) or brave the mediocre public transport options from there (IAD is 25 miles from DC in the far off wilds of NoVA.). Flying into DCA, there's a Metro stop.

There are a zillion threads concerning the best places to stay, but the Crystal City area comes up often, as there are decent hotels at reasonable weekend rates, plus it's on the Metro.

Originally Posted by slawecki
there are two planes that land at about that time. one from MIA and one from DFW. they blow over my house at about 1230. at least one comes in heavy flaps, heavy throttle.
Agreed. When winds are from the south, they come directly over my house at roughly 500-700' and rattle the windows.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta: Gold; UA: Silver; AS: MVP; Southwest: A list; Marriott: Platinum Premier
Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by slawecki
mine is AA 532 ORD-DCA, arrival is 12:50AM. Sorry mine plane will probably blow over your house

Originally Posted by brendog
Regardless as to which airport you're arriving, driving in DC is horrible and parking is worse (and expensive). Metro and walking will get you everywhere. If you're coming into Dullest, your best bet would be to either cab it into the city (Roughly $60) or brave the mediocre public transport options from there (IAD is 25 miles from DC in the far off wilds of NoVA.). Flying into DCA, there's a Metro stop.

There are a zillion threads concerning the best places to stay, but the Crystal City area comes up often, as there are decent hotels at reasonable weekend rates, plus it's on the Metro.

Agreed. When winds are from the south, they come directly over my house at roughly 500-700' and rattle the windows.
I think I will just find a hotel around crystal city area and take metro into the city. The best thing of not driving is that I can enjoy a few drinks with friends.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: US Chairman
I would definitely not rent a car, most of the most of the hotels in the Crystal City area charge around $15 a night to park. If you do not care about picking a specific hotel brand, I would say try out Hotwire. We live in CC and my wife's parents get a hotel when they come to visit and the rates are very reasonable, usually under $80 (the last time they stayed they got the Renaissance which is the newest hotel in the area).

Also, get a SmartTrip card for the metro. If you use a paper farecard there is a $1 dollar surcharge so the card will pay for itself pretty quickly.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RIC Hokie
I would definitely not rent a car, most of the most of the hotels in the Crystal City area charge around $15 a night to park. If you do not care about picking a specific hotel brand, I would say try out Hotwire. We live in CC and my wife's parents get a hotel when they come to visit and the rates are very reasonable, usually under $80 (the last time they stayed they got the Renaissance which is the newest hotel in the area).

Also, get a SmartTrip card for the metro. If you use a paper farecard there is a $1 dollar surcharge so the card will pay for itself pretty quickly.
Thanks for the advice!
Just booked hotel near capital hill. It is actually called "Capital Hill Hotel". $130/night, queen bed suite, including free breakfast and free internet. I think the price is OK for the location and it's during Cherry Blossom festival.

I will buy the smarttrip card. Since when they started charging $1 for paper card? I came to DC a few years ago and they did not have such surcharge back then.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Thanks for the advice!

mine is AA 532 ORD-DCA, arrival is 12:50AM. Sorry mine plane will probably blow over your house

I think I will just find a hotel around crystal city area and take metro into the city. The best thing of not driving is that I can enjoy a few drinks with friends.
No car is needed. given late arricalUse an airport hotel. they have airport shuttle and easy access to metro.

There is nothing you need a car for.

Cheery blossoms are fickle....its all dependent on the spring weather. Its possible they already bloomed and gone before you get there.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Thanks for the advice!
Just booked hotel near capital hill. It is actually called "Capital Hill Hotel". $130/night, queen bed suite, including free breakfast and free internet. I think the price is OK for the location and it's during Cherry Blossom festival.

I will buy the smarttrip card. Since when they started charging $1 for paper card? I came to DC a few years ago and they did not have such surcharge back then.
Capitol hill hotel is a BAD choice.

I am not up to date on when metro shuts down for the weekend. i know it doesnt run 24 hrs. Its possible you cant take metro.

Just stay at an airport hotel. Off the plane you easily go to them and sleep and then go and explore your days...then Sunday night its easy to go back and get your luggage from the hotel INSTEAD of having to lug it around the city/metro.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by djp98374
Capitol hill hotel is a BAD choice.

I am not up to date on when metro shuts down for the weekend. i know it doesnt run 24 hrs. Its possible you cant take metro.

Just stay at an airport hotel. Off the plane you easily go to them and sleep and then go and explore your days...then Sunday night its easy to go back and get your luggage from the hotel INSTEAD of having to lug it around the city/metro.
I would disagree.. the Metro is open until 3am, there are plenty of restaurants/bars near capital hill, and it will be a quick/cheap cab rides to many areas in DC.

Taking luggage 2x on the metro really isn't that big of a deal, particularly for a weekend trip.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Let me pile on with a similar question. I'm heading to Baltimore for the Orioles/Tigers game on Saturday June 1st. I'm staying by the stadiums Saturday night, and am planning on renting a car Sunday to hit Pimlico and probably head over to Atlantic City for the night Sunday. I was planning on hitting DC Monday and Tuesday before flying out of BWI Wednesday morning.

The Candlewood @ BWI is available as a point breaker hotel for only 5000 points a night, so I'm thinking about that as a base for Monday and Tuesday nights. (I'm cheap and not picky). Is this a crazy location to use for free?

I figure I will keep the car since I do want to visit the Smithsonian near IAD. I figure I will find a remote Metro station to park at to get to the National Mall to play tourist.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tev9999
Let me pile on with a similar question. I'm heading to Baltimore for the Orioles/Tigers game on Saturday June 1st. I'm staying by the stadiums Saturday night, and am planning on renting a car Sunday to hit Pimlico and probably head over to Atlantic City for the night Sunday. I was planning on hitting DC Monday and Tuesday before flying out of BWI Wednesday morning.

The Candlewood @ BWI is available as a point breaker hotel for only 5000 points a night, so I'm thinking about that as a base for Monday and Tuesday nights. (I'm cheap and not picky). Is this a crazy location to use for free?

I figure I will keep the car since I do want to visit the Smithsonian near IAD. I figure I will find a remote Metro station to park at to get to the National Mall to play tourist.
First ff.....I honestly think Atlantic city s not worth your trip. The drive will take 2.5 hrs there and longer coming back n Sunday due to traffic.

If you want to do the beach...look at DE beach towns or ocean city Maryland. But I would flip you travel to get away from weekend traffic and high hotel rates.

Personally I'd just focus on DC.

Saturday and Sunday in Baltimore and Monday and Tuesday in DC.

If you want to do Dulles air museum look at hotels in fairfax and merrifield whch are near metro stations that the hotels offer free shuttle servce so you don't have to deal with parking. From there Dulles is about a 20 min drive.

Parking at metro stations is a PITA on Monday and Tuesday because of commuters.

Use the candlewood for Tuesday night.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:38 pm

If you insist on staying near BWI...you could take a shuttle to the airport then take a bus to MARC ...then take it into DC and union station. Then skip doing the Dulles part of the smithsonian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.