FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic-453/)
-   -   iad tsa lines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic/1415294-iad-tsa-lines.html)

slawecki Dec 8, 2012 8:23 am

iad tsa lines

our flight is 5pm mon. we have biz class seats on UA to fra. we have enough luggage to set up housekeeping until the next millinum. i presume the ua ticket counter is still in the same NE corner. is there still a "diamond" check in on the ground floor next to the domestic baggage dump. does not show on map. last time we went through with biz class tickets, we were ushered through so fast, i could not get a sense of direction. is 3-4 pm on a weekday a slow tsa time? in prior years, everything leaving iad to europe left in the 4-5pm window, and the place was a zoo.

Alpha Golf Dec 8, 2012 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 19818454)
our flight is 5pm mon. we have biz class seats on UA to muc. we have enough luggage to set up housekeeping until the next millinum. i presume the ua ticket counter is still in the same NE corner. is there still a "diamond" check in on the ground floor next to the domestic baggage dump. does not show on map. last time we went through with biz class tickets, we were ushered through so fast, i could not get a sense of direction. is 3-4 pm on a weekday a slow tsa time? in prior years, everything leaving iad to europe left in the 4-5pm window, and the place was a zoo.

No, Diamond checkpoint is gone. There is now a precheck on the main level. If you don't get that, yes, it's a total zoo -- including United checkin, even premium. Leave lots of time.

UAPremExecflyer Dec 8, 2012 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf (Post 19819593)
No, Diamond checkpoint is gone. There is now a precheck on the main level. If you don't get that, yes, it's a total zoo -- including United checkin, even premium. Leave lots of time.

Couldn't agree more on 'leave lots of time'. That time of the day is a nightmare at IAD: crush of early evening international departures, including now lots of inexperienced travelers coming up to the holidays. Definitely be checked in with your bags by 1515. That allows for (potentially, worst case) an hour of faffing around in the security line and not arriving at the gate anxiety-riven.

slawecki Dec 9, 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf (Post 19819593)
There is now a precheck on the main level. If

whazzat? precheck?? how i do that. last two flights left in mid day. i checked and saw not many flights, airport was not busy. i know everyone has a 5 o clock to europe.

by the way, we have no status.

brendog Dec 9, 2012 10:19 am

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 19823381)
whazzat? precheck?? how i do that. last two flights left in mid day. i checked and saw not many flights, airport was not busy. i know everyone has a 5 o clock to europe.

by the way, we have no status.

Precheck is only for domestic itineraries, so it wouldn't help you in this case. Get there early with a few drinks in you to take the edge off of the inefficient security theatre. I do find the northern security checkpoint does tend to be a little faster.

slawecki Dec 9, 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by brendog (Post 19823778)
Precheck is only for domestic itineraries, so it wouldn't help you in this case. Get there early with a few drinks in you to take the edge off of the inefficient security theatre. I do find the northern security checkpoint does tend to be a little faster.

that's the united end, right???

gvdIAD Dec 9, 2012 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 19824891)
that's the united end, right???

Yes, but I find it's a crap shoot as to which end will be worse.

Annandaler Dec 10, 2012 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by brendog (Post 19823778)
I do find the northern security checkpoint does tend to be a little faster.

The security checkpoint closest to United is the EASTERN one. The other checkpoint (closest to American and Delta) is the WESTERN one.

See: http://mwaa.com/dulles/4793.htm

brendog Dec 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Annandaler (Post 19831909)
The security checkpoint closest to United is the EASTERN one. The other checkpoint (closest to American and Delta) is the WESTERN one.

See: http://mwaa.com/dulles/4793.htm

Mmm-k... By northern, I meant western. Either way, both are fairly horrendous and terribly inefficent, just like everything else at Dullest, but the one away from United is generally less sucky, IME.

slawecki Dec 15, 2012 8:03 am

we hit the airport at 1400 loaded at 1630. very full plane.then, woopsii. the state dept mission to abu dhabi was cancelled. 11 people got off the plane. an announcement that their luggage had to be pulled. finally, 1900 launch. we missed 1000 connecting flight to lys. the 1200 fra-lys was delayed 2 1/2 hrs. arrived at 1500. over 8 hrs late. can i get a comp of anything for that? all UA flight #'s.