Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Transportation from VERY CLOSE?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

IAD Transportation from VERY CLOSE?

So I live in Dulles Station, very close to several airport hotels (Hyatt Dulles, Sheraton, etc), and about a mile as the crow flies from the terminal.

What's my best option for getting there? It's all but impossible to walk, and my suitcase won't fit on a bicycle. I'd go with a cab but I feel kind of sheepish paying the minimum fare to a cabby who has been waiting for hours for a fare. Driving there and paying a week of parking seems a bit asinine, and there's nobody close by to give me a ride.

Any suggestions? Can I pass the folks at Sheraton a few bucks to forget that I didn't stay there and give me a ride in their shuttle?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
If you live within walking distance from one of the hotels I would go and talk to the manager about seeing if you can pay to use their shuttle. It may be some benefit to have some status with that hotel chain. Other option is if you know when you will be traveling you could just talk to the regular driver and pay him/her for the ride.

The other option are taxi, airport shuttle, neighbor.

As for the cab ride home talk to someone else waiting for a cab and offer them to split the cab ride home by giving them $10 for your part.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by StatusJon
I'd go with a cab but I feel kind of sheepish paying the minimum fare to a cabby who has been waiting for hours for a fare.
I don't know the exact parameters, but when a cabby from IAD gets a very short-haul fare he doesn't go to the back of the line for his next fare - he's bumped towards the front of the line when he returns to the airport.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Lots of options:

1. Hop on a shuttle and give the driver a nice tip. For liability reasons and licensing reasons, it's unlikely that the property can actually authorize you to ride their shuttle as a non-guest. But, the driver likely won't know and won't object to a $15 tip.

2. Take a cab and simply pay a decent amount above whatever the meter says. Consider it a giant holiday tip. I'm not sure that IAD does what some airports such as LGA do for their super short taxi runs (provide a card which moves the driver back to the head of the line).

3. Book an Uber on arrival. They are always floating around IAD, don't wait in taxi lines and are simply out of service for the period of the quick run. A bit more expensive than cabs, but hardly over a short distance.

4. Pay the neighbor's kid to pick you up.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:53 pm

If you want to get TO the airport, why not just call a cab? Your cab will have not been waiting in line to do a pick-up from your house.

And yes, I'd do the shuttle thing. I used to live around the corner from a hotel with an airport shuttle and would just call the concierge and book a trip. I'd tell them I was a local, not a guest, and they would arrange some fee (I forget how much) but it was not a problem for them.

Also, is there not a Loudon county bus service?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Annandaler
I don't know the exact parameters, but when a cabby from IAD gets a very short-haul fare he doesn't go to the back of the line for his next fare - he's bumped towards the front of the line when he returns to the airport.
I recall there was some system for the cabbies if they got a short haul that they wouldnt be stuck in the queue again. to reward them for taking a short haul they would get into a secondary line and jump to the front.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djp98374
I recall there was some system for the cabbies if they got a short haul that they wouldnt be stuck in the queue again. to reward them for taking a short haul they would get into a secondary line and jump to the front.
that is my understanding, also. so just call a cab from the airport,
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by djp98374
Another way is to try to work that into conversation and ask. A point blank question may not get an honest answer if they think you will tip a lot.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Timely thread for me. For Xmas, we're leaving out of DCA on a 5:45 am flight. If we were to leave from home, we'd have to leave at 4:00 am.

We've considered staying at the Hilton Crystal City, but the Shuttle doesnt start until 5:00 am. Any idea how to get over there from the hotel?
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Well, one of these years you'll just take the Silver Line one stop. In the meantime, the only local bus that goes to IAD is the "Udvar-Hazy shuttle," which also stops at Dulles Town Center.

Even if you could arrange your suitcase on a bike (I've gone to DCA and BWI by bike), the only legal way to ride in is via 606/Old Ox Rd north of the airport. That makes it a 7.5 mile trip, rather than a one-mile trip.

To get from Crystal City to DCA, cabs have no problem with the trip -- or you can walk it like the flight crews.

Last edited by paytonc; Dec 11, 2012 at 1:14 pm
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc
In the meantime, the only local bus that goes to IAD is the "Udvar-Hazy shuttle," which also stops at Dulles Town Center.
Then you haven't heard about the Fairfax Connector bus #981...
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/routes/981.htm

This is an "express" bus that runs between Tysons/Westpark and Dulles, with stops at Reston Town Center and Herndon/Monroe Park/Ride. It runs from early morning to late at night. Every 25 minutes on weekdays; every 50 minutes on weekends.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
No, I hadn't! (Neither does MWAA's web site.) That would explain why the 5A no longer stops at Tysons West*Park.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by ITRADE
Timely thread for me. For Xmas, we're leaving out of DCA on a 5:45 am flight. If we were to leave from home, we'd have to leave at 4:00 am.

We've considered staying at the Hilton Crystal City, but the Shuttle doesnt start until 5:00 am. Any idea how to get over there from the hotel?
It's a pretty pain-free walk (about 20 minutes) from the Hilton to the Terminal if you're two able bodied adults. You may also be able to hitch a ride on the rental car shuttle from nearby. Occasionally, hotels have even offered to cover the cab fare for similar cases when the shuttle timing just doesn't work.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by paytonc
No, I hadn't! (Neither does MWAA's web site.) That would explain why the 5A no longer stops at Tysons West*Park.
MWAA Dulles website has direct links to the Fairfax Connector service. At www.mwaa.com/dulles click on the Ground Transportation link, which takes you to http://mwaa.com/dulles/793.htm and then click on the Fairfax Connector icon.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by BuckleandBoots
It's a pretty pain-free walk (about 20 minutes) from the Hilton to the Terminal if you're two able bodied adults. You may also be able to hitch a ride on the rental car shuttle from nearby. Occasionally, hotels have even offered to cover the cab fare for similar cases when the shuttle timing just doesn't work.
Meh....not with two kids in tow too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.