Search

Nice Baltimore Hotel near Light Rail

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold
Nice Baltimore Hotel near Light Rail

Hi all,

District-of-Columbian here. Partner & I are planning a trip to a train show (http://www.gsmts.com/ - horrible website, I warned you) at the Maryland State Fairgrounds, Timmonium, MD. We'd like to make a weekend trip out of it and stay at a nice hotel in Baltimore that is easy enough to get to via Baltimore Penn and/or light rail. We'd then take the light rail up to Timmonium to see the show.

High tech hotels woo us as does good service and nearby shops and things to do.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:23 pm

The Marriott in Hunt Valley is decent, and is a quick walk to the light rail at the Hunt Valley stop (End of the line, and only a couple of stops from the fairgrounds). Otherwise, stay towards the Inner Harbor, where there are a bunch of good hotels. I like the Marriott (Some rooms have 2 walls of windows overlooking the harbour) and the Four Seasons.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like the luxury brand Four Seasons or maybe a Renaissance are much better than the Marriott in Hunt Valley, right? I guess I'll stay there. Was hoping there might be something decently nice closer to the grounds or maybe a hidden boutique hotel that isn't coming up in my preliminary search results

Thanks again
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

The Marriott in Hunt Valley is no longer a Marriott....

Hotel Monaco is Kimpton hotel downtown Baltimore. It's a good option boutique hotel.. good restaurant.... University Center-Baltimore Street is I think the closest light rail stop but I also think Convention center is close by as well as Centre street.. lots of options...

Harbor east (Four Seasons) is not close to any light rail. Metro yes.

FDW
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:23 pm

I have not stayed here but it interested me when I first looked at it and might give it a shot one of these days.

Inn at the Black Olive.

Bobette
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
The Marriott in Hunt Valley is no longer a Marriott....

Hotel Monaco is Kimpton hotel downtown Baltimore. It's a good option boutique hotel.. good restaurant.... University Center-Baltimore Street is I think the closest light rail stop but I also think Convention center is close by as well as Centre street.. lots of options...

Harbor east (Four Seasons) is not close to any light rail. Metro yes.

FDW
I have stayed at other Kimptons...not that one...but ones in SF.

http://www.kimptonhotels.com/boutiqu...aco-baltimore/

When i had to travel to Baltimore for a week for a training class I happened to stay right next to it at the Radisson. The Radison I stayed in was also fine. I opted for the Radisson because of cheaper rates. My training was at JH Hospital campus so it was a short subway trip.

It is right at the subway stop. and you are a couple blocks from the inner harbor and a little farther for the little italy section which is on the east side of inner harbor.

That weekend there is not a football game which will make things easier.

previously i lived within an hrs drive of baltimore for 8 yrs so i knew my way around when I was there.

ONE THING---in case you didnt know...if you are looking to take MARC trains unless something has changed that i havent heard they dont operate on Sunday...thus you have to take a regular Amtrak back or you get over to BWI and take the BWI bus that runs from BWI to the metro stations. If you wait to Monday morning you can return via MARC which would be cheaper than AMTRAK.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Stay at the Monaco - about a four block walk to the Baltimore Street light rail station - direct to Timmoniun.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Inn @ Black Olive looks nice and is the #1 hotel for Baltimore on TripAdvisor.

Taking Amtrak both ways, thankfully

Mark
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by marksskram
Thanks everyone!

Mark
If you end up staying there report back.

Bobette
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:19 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by marksskram
Thanks everyone!

Mark
Bear in mind that the Inn at Black Olive is in Fell's Point; which will not be convenient at all for public transport to either Penn Station or the fairgrounds. But, it is a fun part of town to be in.

FDW
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
In that immediate area with the Timonium Fair Grounds, there is a Holiday Inn Timonium right next to I-83 which is nice. Going north a bit you will find a new Marriott Residence Inn Hunt Valley which is pretty brand spanking new.

There is a Crowne Plaza almost next to the Fair Grounds but avoid it. It is a converted Holiday Inn which has been there forever and a lot of my clients that I put up there have given me nothing but complaints.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Ended up staying at the Royal Sonesta Baltimore at the inner harbor. As reviews of the hotel mentioned, it's an older hotel with an older style but sometimes that's nice. We found it quaint. Large rooms, fine service, great location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.