Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Philadelphia for a conference

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Will be staying at the Sheraton Downtown hotel (N 17th and Vine), conference is at the Pennsylvania convention center. Looks like I can walk down 17th to Arch Street then seven blocks East to the conference center.

Are these safe streets in the morning, 7:00 am and early evening, 7:00 pm, or would a taxi be better?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: Alas, not enough to earn miles
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Will be staying at the Sheraton Downtown hotel (N 17th and Vine), conference is at the Pennsylvania convention center. Looks like I can walk down 17th to Arch Street then seven blocks East to the conference center.

Are these safe streets in the morning, 7:00 am and early evening, 7:00 pm, or would a taxi be better?
The area of the convention center is very safe at the times you're talking about. You'll be near a hospital and a campus of Drexel University, so there will be plenty of other people walking and going to work, etc., so you won't be the only person out there. Be careful when crossing 16th Street - it's a big intersection where the Ben Franklin Parkway begins with multiple lanes of traffic. Other than that, it's a pretty easy walk.

Welcome to Philly!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guercifgal
The area of the convention center is very safe at the times you're talking about. You'll be near a hospital and a campus of Drexel University, so there will be plenty of other people walking and going to work, etc., so you won't be the only person out there. Be careful when crossing 16th Street - it's a big intersection where the Ben Franklin Parkway begins with multiple lanes of traffic. Other than that, it's a pretty easy walk.

Welcome to Philly!
Thanks, that is great information. Does that also hold for walking the other way? I was thinking about hoofing it down to the Mutter museum one day.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: BA GfL
Thanks, that is great information. Does that also hold for walking the other way? I was thinking about hoofing it down to the Mutter museum one day.
If anything that direction will be even less scary. You're walking through a very highly populated section of town with lots of retail, residential, and office buildings. People are all around until late evening.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:29 am

Unlike some big cities, Center City (Philly-speak for downtown) does not roll up the sidewalks after 5:00 p.m. Center City is both residential and commercial, and everyone walks.

Be warned that the Mutter Museum is extremely creepy, but cool! There's no place like it anywhere.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guercifgal
Be warned that the Mutter Museum is extremely creepy, but cool! There's no place like it anywhere.
I'm looking forward to it. The only other medical museums I've been to are the Hunterian in London and the exhibits at the Science Museum in London. I really enjoyed both.

Looks like there is a highly rated wine bar, Tria, near my hotel also. Definitely going to spend some quality time there.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!

Looks like there is a highly rated wine bar, Tria, near my hotel also. Definitely going to spend some quality time there.
Tria does have a good wine selection and is popular, but I've always found it a bit over priced, with skimpy pours. It is located in one of the most vibrant restaurant areas in the city, so be sure to check out some of the other options in the neighborhood!

Also don't be put off by the neighborhood adjacent to your hotel. It can be quiet at night, but just a walk of a few blocks south will put you in the midst of plenty of people any evening of the week.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

find out what hall the convention is using -if in the new addition then you only walk three blocks to broad street entrance. definitely go to Reading Terminal across from Conv Center for food (the Amish are there Thurs-Sat)
Tria is nice in the Rittenhouse area (lots of restaurants/bars) but I like rooftop at Continental Mid-town, Davios and Parc for drinks/food and desserts.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
find out what hall the convention is using -if in the new addition then you only walk three blocks to broad street entrance. definitely go to Reading Terminal across from Conv Center for food (the Amish are there Thurs-Sat)
Tria is nice in the Rittenhouse area (lots of restaurants/bars) but I like rooftop at Continental Mid-town, Davios and Parc for drinks/food and desserts.
I just re-read the conference brochure and it doesn't mention a specific hall. Guess I'll find out when I get there.

Thanks for the recommendations
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

by all means get a philly cheese steak sandwich from a truck. i got one from a truck by drexel, and it was really delicious. there was no calorie count posted.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
DiNics in Reading Terminal was just awarded (Travel Channel) best sandwich in the country - roast pork, provolone and either broccoli rabe or roast peppers. Yum.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:28 am

+1 on Reading Terminal Market. Bassett's ice cream and Termini bakery if you have a sweet tooth. All kinds of ethnic food from Middle Eastern to Italian to Greek, Chinese, seafood. Now I'm hungry and want a cannoli from Termini, but don't have enough of a lunch break to get down there today (plus I'm too lazy to walk 10 blocks).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by phillychuck
DiNics in Reading Terminal was just awarded (Travel Channel) best sandwich in the country - roast pork, provolone and either broccoli rabe or roast peppers. Yum.
It's one of my favorites, to be sure. Particularly if you get it au jus...I tried it at an Italian deli by the old Italian neighborhood, no comparison.

The convention center by the Reading Terminal Market is also by Philly's Chinatown, in case you're interested in cookie-cutter Chinese/Malaysian/Burmese (ok, that last one is less common) cuisine. The neighborhood is fine.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

You will be more likely to get mugged AT that hotel than on the walk. While the area can be dark at night it is still fairly safe. I am a small woman and have had no problem walking around there - although I typically prefer to have someone walk with me if we are returning from the bars when they close. You will find that there are few "randoms" and there are police and hospital employees walking around the area at all times around that hotel.

One thing to be aware of in the mornings - especially if you are there with a bunch of conference goers- is that the elevators can be painfully slow. I would not reccomend a top floor room at the property and do allow extra time to get down in the morning.

Have fun in Philly if you have not visited already!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Consultette

You will be more likely to get mugged AT that hotel than on the walk. While the area can be dark at night it is still fairly safe. I am a small woman and have had no problem walking around there - although I typically prefer to have someone walk with me if we are returning from the bars when they close. You will find that there are few "randoms" and there are police and hospital employees walking around the area at all times around that hotel.

One thing to be aware of in the mornings - especially if you are there with a bunch of conference goers- is that the elevators can be painfully slow. I would not reccomend a top floor room at the property and do allow extra time to get down in the morning.

Have fun in Philly if you have not visited already!
Thanks! I'm already here, settled and good. Beautiful weather

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.