Washington DC metro..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington DC metro..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Sorry - my statement wasn't referring to RFID (which I obviously have never utilize).

It is simply difficult to easily follow origin to destination for a tourist/visitor and what options are available with the cryptic brown box machines/POS. Touch screen is preferred over using +/- to add/remove fare and figure out peak vs. non-peak is more like a railroad vs. a subway system.

I fully comprehend the locals are use to it or purchase weekly passes but not a friendly interface vs. most/many other subways.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by slawecki
this complaint, like most of your posts, is completely unfounded. picky as i am, i find the metro to be quite decent, and a great asset to the city. there is no reason to pick it apart, and no reason to sespond, other than to ask the readers to check your other posts.
+1 - After looking at OP's other posts, looks as though this is someone who travels around the country looking for problems. And, of course, if one looks hard enough, one finds them.

Metro is neither Acela First nor EuroStar, but it's a generally functional, relatively clean and relatively cheap (yes, prices have gone up, but not even close to commuter gas costs) travel method.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
As someone who uses metro daily (with a transfer to a bus these days, sigh), I see some issues.

I've never seen peeling paint or torn seats. I do see dirty carpets and a lot of people ignoring the no eating or drinking rules and leaving partially empty food packages behind on seats. Unlike some cities, we have relatively few obnoxious drunks on metro most of the time.

I hate the dim lighting as it makes it hard to read while waiting 15+ minutes for a train at very off peak times.

But I will still take it over driving in the District. And, as far as cost goes, daily parking in the City runs about $30.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Best metro ever
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Originally Posted by choster
I ride all five lines regularly, and there are some patterns. I cannot say I have seen a torn seat in 3 or 4 years. The carpets do get dirty on wet days, although I do not think it is noticeable worse compared to 10 years ago. What I do notice is that by 10am many cars are papered over with discarded issues
The newspaper situation seems to be gradually improving as people move over to e-readers. I also have never noticed on a torn seat even though I use the system several times a week -- vandalism on the system is nothing compared to Chicago.

The carpets are gone on a few of the very newest rail cars, although I've only seen the new floors once or twice.

Some stations have had lighting upgrades in recent years, and it makes a huge difference. Many escalators are due for replacement, and are being replaced; luckily for me, I don't often use the deeper stations so it's not an issue.

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
[*]Customer service at stations is somewhat deplorable[*]In my limited experience quite a few slow downs/delays for no real reason. I understand it isn't a major subway system but reliability is a big deal when deciding between subway/cab.[/LIST]
I agree that the customer service is not very service-oriented. However, you have high standards if the second busiest subway in the USA isn't "major."
Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by paytonc
\

I agree that the customer service is not very service-oriented. However, you have high standards if the second busiest subway in the USA isn't "major."

Wow; I live in DC (and walk to work most days so only ride the Metro occasionally) but would have bet that Chicago (where I have lived years ago) was a much busier system. That said, Metro is not especially friendly to visitors with weird station names, bad signage, terrible escalators, and odd track repair schedules that seem excessive. But the quality of the cars, including seats and carpets, is not one of the top issues for me.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by ckendall
but would have bet that Chicago (where I have lived years ago) was a much busier system. .
In reality DC is a busier system (by passenger count) vs. Chicago. Chicago is significantly bigger system and 24 hrs but covers a lot of dead zone and doesn't have as busy a suburb and daily commute ridership which feeds into the system at DCA or Union Station on a daily basis.

No bashing of DC Metro just too frequent of derailments/safety issues, poor customer service and horrible fare interface for such a popular tourist destination in the US.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I'm in Washington frequently and, having tried driving there once, have taken the metro (and the occasional bus) ever since. Weekend track work is certainly an issue (as it is in NYC and London), and in general I find weekend service on some lines and/or at some hours too infrequent, but for me the real problem is the escalator malfunctioning, which is scandalous.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Some observations from a long-time, daily Metro rider:

The system held up remarkably well for about 30 years with almost no maintenance, but then things started to come apart pretty quickly.

There is a suspicious element to much of the current maintenance work. It invariably takes 3-4 months to rebuild an escalator, during which time there is rarely any work being done (this is painfully obvious as we trudge up and down the adjacent "staircase"). Why can't they get it done faster and why are so many escalators simultaneously in need of rebuilds? This is a huge problem because the system relies on its escalators. Elevator rebuilds are even slower.

In June 2009 they discovered that the automatic system to prevent collisions doesn't work and nine people died. They haven't fixed it and have begun to blame the manual operation that has been in place since then for the increase in rail problems. Heads should have rolled over this.

Cleanliness is not much of an issue. The stations are designed to need minimal upkeep and the trains are pretty good for their age. I certainly see less eating and garbage dropping here than in NY or Chicago.

The fare system has become too complicated, partly because of the "peak of the peak" surcharge. I think that's supposed to go away.

The SmarTrip cards are pretty good and I think they're supposed to get (or maybe have gotten) better with automatic adjustment for special deals like daily unlimited options (a la Oyster) or even other uses (Passmo).

Station service depends on the Station Manager. Mine (Cleveland Park) is wonderful.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
I've never heard anyone call the Metro dirty - especially anyone who has used subways in other major cities. The normal knock on the Metro is that it doesn't go anywhere you want to go.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
My only gripe about the Metro is the fact that it probably will never reach IAD in my lifetime (due to overdevelopment and the millions of tolls it requires to get there by car )
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:17 pm

http://unsuckdcmetro.blogspot.com/

+1
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
My only gripe about the Metro is the fact that it probably will never reach IAD in my lifetime (due to overdevelopment and the millions of tolls it requires to get there by car )
Millions of tolls? Where do you live where there is even one toll to get out to Dulles? I live in DC and can ride the Dulles Access Road without a single toll at all.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:13 pm

Thumbs down

I am 0 for 4 in attempts to use Metro. All leisure trips, not a commuter. Track work or unexpected breakdowns have screwed up what was to be a pleasant outing for the last time. I drive into DC.

I would prefer to take Metro. DC fuzz can give you a night in durance vile just for sniffing the wine cork at dinner. Never mind having legal blood alcohol. But it's a 45-minute drive vs a 2-hour plus marathon for off-peak hours. So I risk jail to support the arts in DC.

At least until they bag me. Then my season tickets to the Shakespeare theater and to the Cathedral Choral Society plus my substantial donations will drop in favor of arts venues in Virginia.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Total embarrassment at the fares they charge. And the interval between trains on weekends and evenings is pure annoyance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.