Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Former Baltimore Airspace Lounge reopened as The Club BWI May 2017

Former Baltimore Airspace Lounge reopened as The Club BWI May 2017

Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:47 pm

Stopped in last Saturday.

Lots of signs in the hallways pointing to the lounge.

One person there attending the room (reception and serving) -- perhaps because it was a slow Saturday afternoon.

Had a soft drink, about 6 or 7 people in lounge.

TV's had a bad feed, bball games were in slow motion. Rather odd.

Ordered a (free) roast beef sandwich. Inedible. Obviously had been sitting there for a while, the meat had soaked into the bread. Had to lift the bread to see if there were any toppings. Miniscule piece of lettuce made a $0.99 burger's topping at Wendy's look gargantuan. One bite and I was done. Yech.

OK spot to stop if you get in free, but the "premium" food was not good.

jb
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by cwilson830
I thought it was only free for Plat/Cent members...
We've gotten into Am Ex Centurion clubs overseas (Brazil) with Gold Cards. With the Platinum card my wife just got we got into the American Airlines Admirals Club at DFW and the US Airways Club at CLT; nicer than the Centurion Clubs we've been into (the CCs were great for when we were transiting to a domestic flight and were in an airport where the airline clubs were only n the international departures section).
Old May 27, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
I just recently flew in/out of BWI (Johns Hopkins commencement) and it was fairly easy for that purpose.

I planned to have lunch at the Airspace Lounge and timed my ride accordingly.

Imagine my disappointment when I found that I had to go OUT of the secure area (I came in on AA) and back IN to the secure area for the OTHER concourse that houses the Lounge.

BUUUUT since I timed my ride ....... back thru security

I have Amex Plat and it was complimentary entry and voucher given for alcoholic drink or food item. They did scan the card. For attendance I suppose lol.

Here are some pics of the lounge:

The amenity kit wasn't offered but I asked because someone here had mentioned it.

Complimentary alcoholic drink OR food item. Definitely the food item

Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL platinum, AS MVP gold
Checked this lounge out in April during a three hour layover.
Friendly service, good food!
Absolutely the most uncomfortable furniture I have ever experienced in a "premium" lounge.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flightmedic72
Checked this lounge out in April during a three hour layover.
Friendly service, good food!
Absolutely the most uncomfortable furniture I have ever experienced in a "premium" lounge.
I had exactly the same reaction as flightmedic72 did to the food, service, and furniture.

Since my usual airline goes out of that terminal and I have the required Amex card, I consider a great convenience. I might even patronize it if it were to charge per visit, especially if I were hungry, since the food is as good or better than anything else I have had in that terminal.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 9:51 pm

I spent some time there my last trip- my included drink was fine. But,they were out of ammenity kits, so I don't know what they contain.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Here's my mini-review of the lounge with pictures: http://weekendblitz.com/airspace-lou...ional-airport/

--------------------

BWI Baltimore-Washington International Airport
Terminal D (Note: Also accessible to other concourses by presenting a same-day BWI boarding pass to Concourse D security)
Between D10 and D12, the Delta/United terminal
4:30am 8:00pm

As Ive said before (The Club at ATL Atlantas Newest (and best?) Lounge and JFK Terminal 4 Lounges/The Oasis Lounge), which lounge I go to is often a function of which one will let me in. However, at BWI, the Airspace Lounge is the only (domestic) lounge, so that adage is a little less relevant. Here are your entry options:
  1. Complimentary Access for American Express Platinum Cardup to 2 guests
  2. Pay to enter typically $20

Airspace Lounge has a few unique offerings, uniformed military can save about 30% and they also offer an Arrivals Pass for those arriving on red-eye flights. Theyll give you an amenity kit and clothes pressing, but, be warned, the facility doesnt offer any showers:

Entry for all guests includes:
  • $7 credit for anything from the menu (yes, most items require payment)
  • Free soft drinks, coffee, small snacks, WiFi, use of business center

Reception desk and business center

One plus of this lounge is that 1 AMEX Platinum card holder can get 3 people ina $60 value that will yield $21 in vouchersIve even had an employee suggest that I always grab an extra person or 2 from the terminal when traveling solo, because, Why not? Its free.

I would rarely consider this lounge good value if paying out of pocket; in fact, even when free with AMEX, Ive skipped it a few times just because its sometimes easier to kill an hour at the gate and not deal with the hassle going into the lounge.

The area is far from huge, or even big. The seating is quite limited and I could imagine frequent capacity issues. All the more reason to check first and opt to skip if youre on the a la carte $20 entry plan.

The only free items: real Chex-mix, self serve soft drinks, coffee and tea. Everything else requires payment and ranges from $3 $6 for food and drinks from $4.50 $16.50.

Im 99% sure this is brand new Chex-Mix (and I know my Chex-Mix). Well done, Airspace!

Looking for a light snack, I tried the ANTIPASTO PLATTER ($6): Great kidney beans in rich, wonderful marinade. Salami and another Italian cured meat with a very good blue cheese. AndDogfish Head 90 Min at an airport lounge? Yes, please!

After the food and beverage, the concept was really starting to grow on mecharge less to enter (just $20) but have nicer, la carte items that are relatively affordable for an airport. Compare this to a Delta SkyClub that charges $50 and provides free cheap snacks and well spirits but tries to up-sell you $10-15 for top shelf and you can see how an Airspace Lounge model is appealing.

Not too many exciting plane spotting opportunities at BWI

BOTTOM LINE: Pretty good, yet small airport loungenot necessarily worth the $20 unless you have a long layover. But, for AMEX Platinum cardholders, its a no-brainer to go in and grab a free coffee and snack. Prior to sampling the food and drinks, I thought this lounge was a waste of time but, by the end, I was made into a fan and would definitely return.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: UA*G, 1MM
I think that some of the commentaries here are a bit unfair to the AirSpace Lounge. One thing to bear in mind is that the BWI lounge is their first effort and one they'll hopefully learn from as they move forward.

It's been quite some time since I've used the lounge, even though I'm in the D Pier regularly on UA. Ended up at the lounge not too long after they opened when I had a 5 hour flight delay. Decided that the $17.50 (at the time) was worth it for several hours wait.

From what I recall, the food and amenities were decent. UA charges $50 for a day pass to the United Club and that's completely pathetic when compared to lounge offerings by SAS, LH, VS, SQ, etc. I hate to use such a low standard as a comparison, but this is America - and we do crappy on our lounges. With that in mind, the AirSpace lounge is a deal.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm an AMEX plat flying out of BWI on US with my family next week. Since we'll be flying for about 7 hours, a free "meal" for everybody before we board would be nice (as would a place to relax). But it sounds like we'd have to go through security twice. Correct? Ugh. And I think the US gates are pretty far away. Right?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
The US gates on on the D Pier so you will not need to clear security twice if you visit the Airspace lounge.

To get to the Airspace lounge after you clear security, continue down until you reach the Y. Veer to your right and the lounge will be on your right just past Dunkin Donuts.

To go to the US gates, make a left outside of the lounge and head back to the Y. Veer to your right to go to your departure gate.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffS
The US gates on on the D Pier so you will not need to clear security twice if you visit the Airspace lounge.

To get to the Airspace lounge after you clear security, continue down until you reach the Y. Veer to your right and the lounge will be on your right just past Dunkin Donuts.

To go to the US gates, make a left outside of the lounge and head back to the Y. Veer to your right to go to your departure gate.
Oh, good! That would make a stop very worthwhile, I think. Sure better than a "regular" USA airline lounge.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iahphx
Oh, good! That would make a stop very worthwhile, I think. Sure better than a "regular" USA airline lounge.
I used it last year and was actually not that impressed. The Wifi was almost unusable and it was somewhat crowded. I also didn't like the seating options. Though the cheese plate I got was pretty good at least.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I used it last year and was actually not that impressed. The Wifi was almost unusable and it was somewhat crowded. I also didn't like the seating options. Though the cheese plate I got was pretty good at least.
Hey, my expectations are modest. Anytime I can get something edible to eat and enjoyable to drink in a USA airport lounge -- much less one I don't have to pay for -- I'm happy.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
We like the Thai wrap sandwich which is really good for taking on the airplane if it will be lunchtime during the flight. They will give you a mini-shopping bag to carry it.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Looks like US Air has move to Siberia in terminal C and there's no connector to D.

Bummed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.