Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest cuts strand US Airways employees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Were the US employees able to fly free on WN?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Were the US employees able to fly free on WN?
Yes, if there were seats available.

US Airways employees usually are able to fly free on the Southwest flights if seats are available as part of arrangements that airlines make with one another. However, at peak times, such as holidays, some workers have paid full fare to guarantee that they would have a way to work.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I fail to see the story here. Yes, I understand that moving may have not been practical for certain USAirways employees and/or the cost of living in PIT is much cheaper.

But to suggest that somehow we should feel that Southwest slighted these USAir employees?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:45 am

If Usair runs the route they can still get to work, no? This is not a southwest issue and shame on the journalist for tugging on our heartstrings unnecessarily. Was southwest even being compensated for the rideshare people or was it a writeoff against their employees who fly standby on other airlines? Either way, they don't have to provide this benefit. A lot of Pittsburgh to Philly flights were full at some point and so then these employees couldn't rely on the service to get them to work every time, anyway. I suspect that the flights have been less utilized after students were given the option to go point to point on megabus for $5 to $32 one way, which is almost as fast as flying and cheaper than a cab to/from each airport, let alone both airports AND the air fare.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'm pretty sure the number of available seats when WN and US were both flying the route would have been greater than now that only US flies it.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho-79
Wow. That must be such a hassle to have to rely on air travel in order to get to your job.
For these airline employees to rely on ANOTHER airline to get to their hub is odd. They took a risk and now they'll have to figure something out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.