Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

IS this cut far too tight?

IS this cut far too tight?

Old Mar 16, 11, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Smile IS this cut far too tight?

I recently booked some flights their, and the package it created for me looks very tight on closer insection, My main concern is my Flight from. IAD- Portland oregon

Lufthansa - Belfast City Airport (BHD) London - Heathrow Airport (LHR) 08:50 - 13 Apr 2011 10:10 - 13 Apr 2011

Lufthansa London - Heathrow Airport (LHR) Washington - Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) 13:05 - 13 Apr 2011 16:22 - 13 Apr 2011

Lufthansa Washington - Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) Portland - Portland International Airport (PDX) 17:40 - 13 Apr 2011 20:17 - 13 Apr 2011

As you can see i'm basically being left with, 1 hour 20 minutes, unless i'm missing something obvious from arriving at. IAD to departing from it. Now that seems Outragously close to me, I'm From Northern Ireland, and will have my ESTA but from what i gather i stil have to go past immirgration and it can be hecktick at the best of times, any advice? if i do miss the flight would i be put on the next one? hope it's the right section, Thanks. Also, i'm stayingfor 84 days, will this bother the immirgration officer resulting in more questions delaying me furthur?

Also will i have to go through the same process with immigration at Portland- Oregon, or once i do it at IAD am i then fine to travel to portland easy enough (arranging getting picked up at airport and wondering if at portland i will have to spend more time doing it again the process again.)

Last edited by supajensen; Mar 16, 11 at 9:07 pm
Old Mar 17, 11, 3:30 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
You are cutting it very close, but if the flights are ontime or a bit early you should make it. LHR-IAD and IAD-PDX are both UA flights. When you arrive at IAD, follow the TRANSFER signs to Customs & Immigration (C&I) on the lower level of the C Concourse - the same building where your plane parks. After C&I you go upstairs and find your connecting flight which can be anywhere in the connected C/D Concourse. So your arrival, C&I, and departing flight are all in the same physical building.

The bad news, is that you are coming at the peak of the afternoon rush hour at IAD. Depending on how many flights empty into C&I at about the same time, and the level of staffing of C&I, it can take an hour or more.

The IAD-PDX segment is purely a domestic flight - no further C&I at Portland.
Old Mar 17, 11, 3:58 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I never connect at IAD so my experience might not be comparable. However, as a terminating international pax at IAD, I have waited over one hour for my checked luggage. Thus, even though immigration (as a US citizen) took only 10 min and customs only 5 min, it has taken me 1.5 hours to get out of C&I on multiple occasions.

Note that IAD-PDX is a long flight -- highly doubt there is another non-stop if you miss your flight. At that hour, not so sure you can connect and get to Portland that evening -- you might have to stay overnight at some intermediate city, or in Washington. I advise you to check schedules in advance to know your options.
Old Mar 17, 11, 4:33 am

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
That arrival time is a peak arrival window for EU flights into IAD. Flights from LHR, FRA, MUC, and CDG are all arriving at that same time with LOADS of people on them. If you were a US citizen I might be a little more comfortable with a 1:20 window (but not much), but since this is IAD and since you're not a US citizen, I would put your chances of making that connection at less than 10%.

To make matters worse, and they may have changed procedures with C&I in the C concourse, you may be forced to exit the secure area (after customs/immigration) and then reclear TSA security for your IAD-PDX segment...IAD security lines are infamous between 3:00 and 6:00 because the lines are chock full of passengers passing security to reach the EU bound flights and west coast transcon flights. Your flight is on BD, so I am not sure where BD planes clear C

As to clearing immigration again, no. Once you're in country you are in country. But do bear in mind that immigration issues will be separate from TSA security issues which anyone faces when trying to access passenger terminal/gate areas

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Mar 17, 11 at 4:38 am
Old Mar 17, 11, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Right, well i contacted the airline to see what can be done as this seems like it's impossible,i would have thought they would have took this into concideration the average turn around times would make catching this flight So unlikely...Will UA, put me on the next avalable flight for free if it is missed due to, delays/immirgration?
Old Mar 17, 11, 10:08 am

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Will UA, put me on the next avalable flight for free if it is missed due to, delays/immirgration?

Yes, if you miss your connection to PDX then UA will rebook you on their next available flight with no fee. (They will also allow you to standby on flights that don't have any available seats, but that's your choice.) If you have to overnight at IAD, however, then you will be responsible for the cost of a hotel room unless the delay is caused by a mechanical problem. In that case, UA will pay for the room.
Old Mar 17, 11, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's too close and it's the last flight. I would have options written down in advance. When you misconnect, it's always far better to make a specific ask than to rely on the carrier to offer you the best. If it happened to me, I would take the later flight to ORD or DEN and overnight at that hub. ORD has a Hilton attached to the terminal (UA) by walkway.
Old Mar 18, 11, 5:26 am

If you miss the PDX flight by just a little, you might still squeak in the trip via a connection.

If you have to overnight someplace, my personal choice would be San Francisco. United has late flights from IAD to its hubs (SFO, LAX, DEN, ORD). So you could depart as late as 9pm-ish from IAD and arrive in SFO around midnight local time. Then you can take the subway (BART) and spend the next day in SF, taking an evening flight to Portland.
Old Mar 18, 11, 5:49 am
Original Poster

" If you miss the PDX flight by just a little, you might still squeak in the trip via a connection. " Sorry I'm not quite following what you mean? i thought their wasn't many flights from IAD-PDX, and surely i would be better staying in IAD rather then heading to san fransico? i assume that flight wouldn't be covered by the airline? if it was. how would that work with my getting a flightt to PDX? would they cover it from San Francisco rather then IAD? Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to have All my options planned long before i go because if/when i miss the flight, i want to know what i'm doing and what i'm going to say to the airline Appreicate peoples comments so far they are prooving to be very useful to me.
Old Mar 18, 11, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by ITRADE View Post
To make matters worse, and they may have changed procedures with C&I in the C concourse, you may be forced to exit the secure area (after customs/immigration) and then reclear TSA security for your IAD-PDX segment...IAD security lines are infamous between 3:00 and 6:00 because the lines are chock full of passengers passing security to reach the EU bound flights and west coast transcon flights. Your flight is on BD, so I am not sure where BD planes clear C
Their flights into and out of IAD are on UA metal, not BD.

The procedure in the TRANSFER C&I facility on the ground level of the C Concourse is a linear process: Primary Inspection (i.e. Passport Control); pickup checked bags off a carousel (pretty quick delivery here - bags are almost always waiting for you after Passport Control); Secondary Inspection - where you surrender your blue Customs Form; re-check your checked bags (takes no time at all); go through standard TSA security screening; go up the escalator/elevator/stairs into the gate area of the C Concourse across from gate C7; check the Departure Screens on your right; head for your departure gate.

As other posters have mentioned, if you miss the PDX non-stop there is no way you are getting to PDX that day with connections on UA.

I'm very familiar with IAD procedures. Don't hesitate to PM with any further questions.
Old Mar 18, 11, 8:16 pm

Your PDX flight departs at 5:40pm. If you arrive at IAD no more than an hour late, you could make, for instance:

flight 647, IAD-SFO, 6:52-9:47pm
flight 522, SFO-PDX, 10:39pm-12:30am

that's about the latest connecting flight you can make

---

if you arrive several hours late, you can probably make the last flight IAD-SFO, IAD-LAX, etc. and then SFO/LAX to PDX on the following day; rather than waiting at IAD and overnighting there and flying the whole thing on the next day.
Old Jul 8, 11, 11:30 am
Original Poster

I Made it! old post but i just scraped past immirgration in time, sprint to the line included!
Old Jul 8, 11, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by supajensen View Post
I Made it! old post but i just scraped past immigration in time, sprint to the line included!
Cheers - This is the first time I've read the thread, and was about to post that you should be fine, but it will be tight...and that there really aren't any great options for the flight up to PDX, but i'm glad it all worked out!

Did you use the Mid-Field Concourse (not 'residing in Washington') Customs and baggage claim? If so, I've had good luck and a very quick transit through Immigration and Customs there and in my one occasion, would have easily made a flight that left in 60 minutes after arrival.

-jeremy
Old Jul 8, 11, 11:45 am
Original Poster

The plane came in rougly 10 minutes late, i hooked it to the immirgration room which already had maybe 60-70 people infront of me, as a non american, i was concerned at how long it would take me, When i got thru the immirgration i was running out of time but my luggage was sitting there, i had to bring it from 1 belt to another, and make my way to gate,.. 4 something, i Ran, there, had 7 minutes to spare, Ran to 29 where there was a smoking area, and choked a cigg down and made it back just in time to board, but i needed that cigg... Hehe, on my way back i had a 12 hour layover in canada! which was a painfully boring expierence but had to be done Heh, was worth the hastle!
i don't remember any "not residing in washington" Signs.. so i must have missed that unfortunately, immirgration didn't take very long once i accually got to speak to someone.
Old Jul 8, 11, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by supajensen View Post
The plane came in rougly 10 minutes late, i hooked it to the immirgration room which already had maybe 60-70 people infront of me, as a non american, i was concerned at how long it would take me, When i got thru the immirgration i was running out of time but my luggage was sitting there, i had to bring it from 1 belt to another, and make my way to gate,.. 4 something, i Ran, there, had 7 minutes to spare, Ran to 29 where there was a smoking area, and choked a cigg down and made it back just in time to board, but i needed that cigg... Hehe, on my way back i had a 12 hour layover in canada! which was a painfully boring expierence but had to be done Heh, was worth the hastle!
i don't remember any "not residing in washington" Signs.. so i must have missed that unfortunately, immirgration didn't take very long once i accually got to speak to someone.
The sign doesn't say residing, it either directs those not terminating or those connecting passengers towards mid-field customs and immigration.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: