Wiki Posts
Search

Non-linked connection at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2010, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Cunard World Club Gold
Non-linked connection at IAD

I'm flying later this week ORF-IAD-LHR, UA the first leg and VS the second. I'm arriving on UA7272 11:25 AM, and leaving on VS22 6:40 PM.

What would be the procedure to connect between the flights? Do I essentially leave the secure zone of the airport, get my bags, and then come back in through security at IAD and recheck on VS, or are there any links that can be made between the reservations?

I have a feeling that this is going to be a fun time on the new metro system...
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Not sure what you mean by the "metro system"... Locally, Metro refers to the rail system in the city and suburbs. I suspect you are refering to Dulles airport's AeroTrain system that connects most of the building on the airport grounds.

Your flight from ORF can arrive in the A, C or D concourse. From A or C gates, you will take the Aerotrain to the Main Terminal (from D gates you still take a Mobile Lounge to the Main Terminal) where you will exit the secure area and claim your checked bags from UA on Baggage Carousel 1 (usually) or 5 (if 1 is broken). But you won't be able to re-check them with Virgin Atlantic for a few hours since their ticket counter (upstairs from Baggage Claim) doesn't open until about 3 hours before your departure. After re-checking bags you go back through TSA security and take the AeroTrain to the A Concourse where Virgin Atlantic uses gate A32.

A possible strategy to help fill the hours between flights at Dulles... Don't claim your checked bags from UA immediately on arrival - leave them unclaimed and pick them up a few hours later. In the meantime, take the 50 cents shuttle to the Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum. Spend 2-3 hours there before returning to Dulles; pick up your checked bags from the UA; and continue as above.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Annandaler
Not sure what you mean by the "metro system"... Locally, Metro refers to the rail system in the city and suburbs. I suspect you are refering to Dulles airport's AeroTrain system that connects most of the building on the airport grounds.

Your flight from ORF can arrive in the A, C or D concourse. From A or C gates, you will take the Aerotrain to the Main Terminal (from D gates you still take a Mobile Lounge to the Main Terminal) where you will exit the secure area and claim your checked bags from UA on Baggage Carousel 1 (usually) or 5 (if 1 is broken). But you won't be able to re-check them with Virgin Atlantic for a few hours since their ticket counter (upstairs from Baggage Claim) doesn't open until about 3 hours before your departure. After re-checking bags you go back through TSA security and take the AeroTrain to the A Concourse where Virgin Atlantic uses gate A32.

A possible strategy to help fill the hours between flights at Dulles... Don't claim your checked bags from UA immediately on arrival - leave them unclaimed and pick them up a few hours later. In the meantime, take the 50 cents shuttle to the Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum. Spend 2-3 hours there before returning to Dulles; pick up your checked bags from the UA; and continue as above.
According to Virgin's website, checkin is open at 2:45. So you have about 3 hours to kill.

I was thinking that perhaps you could check in with Virgin America, but they're apparently totally different carriers so no dice there.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
When you say "non-linked" do you mean the ORF-IAD and IAD-LHR portions are on different tickets?

Even if that is the case, I'm sure that UA and VS have a interlining agreement. Unless you need your luggage for some reason in Washington, when you check in at ORF, I'd ask the UA agent to tag your luggage all the way through onto LHR. I've never had any problem with UA doing it for me - the only problem I've had is the UA agent trying to figure out HOW to do it.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Cunard World Club Gold
Thanks for the help so far!

@Annandaler: Yes, by Metro I mean AeroTrain -- forgot that it had dual meaning in DC. I really like the Udvar-Hazy Center idea...went there years ago, but it's an awesome museum and I'd be happy to go back...especially because from what I understand, they'll be taking the Enterprise out of there when they get a "real" space shuttle next year.

Trying to remember how IAD is set up -- are C and D the ones that are connected? If so, would I have the option of, with much walking, taking either method to the main concourse? I actually want to take the Mobile Lounge -- it's a cool relic that won't be around too long.

@gtownguy -- yes, they're totally different tickets. I'm sailing back to the US on the Queen Elizabeth, so I was able to get a cheap one-way flight by combining a cheap VS transat ticket from my travel agent with a one-way UA domestic from Student Universe. Couldn't get either one to equal the combined rate.

I'm guessing UA and VS must have some kind of agreement, especially as I know that CO has arrangements with VS for codeshare and rewards. (Not sure about the UA setup, I'm mostly a CO guy.) I'm guessing I'd have to show my VS ticket or confirmation page to the UA agent at ORF, so that they knew what to connect it to? I'm assuming it would cross the Atlantic on my VS metal, not a UA flight. I won't need anything more than my hand luggage in DC, so I have no problem checking it through.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Yes, you will definitely have to show both your UA confirmation as well as your VS flight info in order to have your luggage checked all the way through to LHR.

And yes, your luggage will be checked onto the VS flight for which you are ticketed. They wouldn't send it on a UA flight to LHR that you aren't even on.

I'd also give myself a few extra minutes in ORF to take care of all this. Even when I've had baggage interlined at IAD, I usually get a ticket agent who doesn't know how to do it. Almost always he/she fumbles around for a few minutes before calling over a supervisor. Last time I did this (from UA to OS) it took almost 15 mins for the agent to tag my luggage correctly.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Originally Posted by EWRLiberty
Trying to remember how IAD is set up -- are C and D the ones that are connected? If so, would I have the option of, with much walking, taking either method to the main concourse? I actually want to take the Mobile Lounge -- it's a cool relic that won't be around too long.
Yes, C and D are essentially one long connected facility. If you arrive at a C gate and want to take a Mobile Lounge to the Terminal, just follow the overhead signs to the D gates and, once in the D Concourse, follow the overhead signs for BAGGAGE CLAIM.

As far as the Mobile Lounges not being around for too long... They will continue to service the D Concourse (to/from the Terminal, and to/from the A Concourse at busy times of the day) until a permanent C/D concourse is built - don't hold your breath on that happening anytime soon.

And the Mobile Lounges will continue to serve many international arrivals who cannot take the AeroTrain since they haven't entered the country yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.