Wiki Posts
Search

Dulles toll road to Tyson's Corner

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Dulles toll road to Tyson's Corner

Planning on driving from Dulles to somewhere around Tyson's Corner.
What I can't exactly figure out is whether there will be a toll charge (or charges) along this road (may only be going once along it, twice tops, so cash rather than EZPass)

i.e. Dulles toll road, turn onto Leesburg Pike = $1 ramp fee?

Last edited by xenole; Oct 16, 2014 at 5:01 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:19 am

the free airport road has a tysons exit.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Is the Dulles Access Road?

Seems strange having this road in the middle of another road....
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Route 267 consists of "Dulles Access Road" and "Dulles Toll Road" running in parallel. The former is for toll-free travel strictly to and from the airport. Yes, from the airport you can exit for free onto any of the four Tysons Corner exits including Route 7 (Leesburg Pike).
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
If you zoom in on Google Maps, you can clearly see all of the entrances and exits from the toll-free Dulles Access Road.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Route 267 consists of "Dulles Access Road" and "Dulles Toll Road" running in parallel. The former is for toll-free travel strictly to and from the airport. Yes, from the airport you can exit for free onto any of the four Tysons Corner exits including Route 7 (Leesburg Pike).
the access road is for travel to/fro iAd, and for airport business. i think buying gas at the dulles gas station qualifies as business. i used the free by quite a bit for biz with customs.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA 1MM
Just be careful to exit where you intend, e.g., Route 7, rather than merging on to the toll road. If you do get on the toll road, they will take cash at at least one of the lanes.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: UA *G MM
But if you get on further down in Vienna, for example, then don't you have to pay the on ramp toll of $1 and then merge from the toll road to the access road whenever you can do so? I know that at route 7 there is a sign showing "Dulles no toll". This is after the main toll plaza. But I don't think every on ramp to the toll road has a parallel ramp to the access road.

Also, the tolls are $2.50 at the main toll plaza and $1 on any on or off ramp. It used to be like 75 cents and 50 cents respectively.

The main plaza is between route 684 and route 7. Not shown on Google maps.

I am pretty sure that if you get on at 684 (Spring Hill Rd) then you cannot avoid paying a toll. I used to live in McLean proper so would get on the access road before any toll issues.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: United MP
If you get off at Hunter Mill rd, there is no toll. You'd have to use other roads though to get to your destination. I did try that way once to get to part of Vienna and it wasn't bad.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:07 am

Going east (ie, direction IAD -> Washington) you pay toll at entrances to the toll road. Going west (ie, Washington -> IAD), you pay toll at exits off the toll road. Thus it is always possible to enter the toll road at no charge to go west to the airport and merge onto the access road lanes.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Going east (ie, direction IAD -> Washington) you pay toll at entrances to the toll road. Going west (ie, Washington -> IAD), you pay toll at exits off the toll road. Thus it is always possible to enter the toll road at no charge to go west to the airport and merge onto the access road lanes.
Aha. So people going from IAD to Vienna and Reston can therefore merge onto the toll road and then do not pay when they exit.

But there is an exception for westbound, which led to my confusion. Westbound at Spring Hill Rd (684) leads you into the main toll plaza where you pay $2.50. Actually there is a separate toll plaza on the ramp and you merge with the cars coming from the toll booths. In fact there is a sign showing "Dulles Airport Toll". So one should go down to the route 7 on ramp to avoid the toll in Tysons.

Someone wrote above that there are four exits in Tysons. With my definition of Tysons there are only two, route 7 and route 684. The third exit/entrance is route 123; can't think of a a fourth. Once you go inside the Beltway then I call it McLean. (I realize that half of Tysons is in the McLean 22102 zip.)

Also, you cannot exit from the access road to 684. It's only possible from the toll road and then you pay a toll to exit. (Is it $1 or $2.50?)
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by gnaget
Someone wrote above that there are four exits in Tysons. With my definition of Tysons there are only two, route 7 and route 684. The third exit/entrance is route 123; can't think of a a fourth. Once you go inside the Beltway then I call it McLean. (I realize that half of Tysons is in the McLean 22102 zip.)

Also, you cannot exit from the access road to 684. It's only possible from the toll road and then you pay a toll to exit. (Is it $1 or $2.50?)
I was counting 123 and the Beltway (495).

I actually live just SE of 123. The Post Office claims I'm in a Falls Church zip, even though McLean and Tysons Corner are both a lot closer to me. So, yeah, the where you draw the lines is open to debate.

You may be right about the Spring Hill (684) toll; I don't think I've ever exited there from IAD.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I was counting 123 and the Beltway (495).

I actually live just SE of 123. The Post Office claims I'm in a Falls Church zip, even though McLean and Tysons Corner are both a lot closer to me. So, yeah, the where you draw the lines is open to debate.

You may be right about the Spring Hill (684) toll; I don't think I've ever exited there from IAD.
I used to live in a part of McLean where getting on the toll rd at 684 was a potential short cut to get to the strip malls on route 7 and you could avoid making a left turn across 7. But it incurred a 50 or 75 cent toll for a few hundred meters. Now it is $2.50.

Once a postal clerk in Boston told me that I could write Disneyland for the city as long as the zip code is correct. People used Boston and the name of the neighborhood interchangeably.

I noticed that Tysons Corner Center lists its address as Tysons Corner VA 22102 whereas normally it is known as a McLean zip code. The actual PO is in the heart of Tysons.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:15 am

Yup, the USPS recently decided that Tysons Corner is a legit alternate name to use with 22102 (McLean) and 22182 (Vienna).
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by gnaget
Aha. So people going from IAD to Vienna and Reston can therefore merge onto the toll road and then do not pay when they exit.

But there is an exception for westbound, which led to my confusion. Westbound at Spring Hill Rd (684) leads you into the main toll plaza where you pay $2.50. Actually there is a separate toll plaza on the ramp and you merge with the cars coming from the toll booths. In fact there is a sign showing "Dulles Airport Toll". So one should go down to the route 7 on ramp to avoid the toll in Tysons.

The Spring Hill exit is only $1, not $2.50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.