Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spending The Night at BWI for an Early Flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Spending The Night at BWI for an Early Flight

I have a flight that *departs* from BWI at 6AM. The timing could hardly be worse, since I live in Northern VA. The only saving grace is, it's a Saturday morning so hopefully a little less traffic. I'd have to be out of the house by 4AM and I'm not a morning person (usually sleep until 8 or 8:30).

So what I was wondering, is it possible or feasible to check in the night before, at 10 or 11 or 12, go through security, "Bed down" at the gate, wake up around boarding time, and then be on my merry way? Is the airport even open then? Would there be security problems? Are there any particularly plush benches or other advice you have?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
I doubt that they would let you through security the night before for a 6:00am departure, but I could be wrong. Assuming you do spend the night at the airport, this might be of some use.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djk7
I doubt that they would let you through security the night before for a 6:00am departure, but I could be wrong. Assuming you do spend the night at the airport, this might be of some use.
How early would they let me check in? I'd tolerate midnight, and getting 5 hours of sleep. Given that it is a 6AM flight that means they'd have to have something running at least a couple hours beforehand... at 4AM... So why not at midnight?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Or as an alterntaive: Get a cheap hotel near bwi - a better nights sleep and leave your car at the hotel under a park and fly/stay rate
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i wonder if there is a reg(there is for everything else) as to how early one can go thru security for a flight. i know i have been airside on layovers for 6-8 hrs on occasion.

i have tried to get on earlier flights, and gone through security at 8am for a 4pm or so flight.

is there a rule that states one must have a "ticket for the day of the flight"? if so, how does one handle those 2am flight departures?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
i wonder if there is a reg(there is for everything else) as to how early one can go thru security for a flight. i know i have been airside on layovers for 6-8 hrs on occasion.

i have tried to get on earlier flights, and gone through security at 8am for a 4pm or so flight.

is there a rule that states one must have a "ticket for the day of the flight"? if so, how does one handle those 2am flight departures?

I found a page that shows Security opening at 3:45 AM at the earliest, with some concourses and the united ticket desk not opening until 4:30AM.

It's a valid question as to whether or not I can check at 9:30 when the checkpoints close...

Doing a park and fly would cost a good bit more (I'm only going to be at the destination 2 nights), and only save maybe 30 minutes travel.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
Even if you make it through security, they do sweep the terminals and will probably not let you stay airside.

I have overnighted many times at BWI in the main terminal areas, however, and never been bothered by the security or housekeeping staff (unlike, for example, Union Station). Air Mobility Command has a big presence at BWI and you see see many soldiers bedded down during the holidays or IRROPS. I believe there is a Subway that is open 24 hours, but that is the only shop available.

The lights will be on, and the recorded security announcements never stop, but I've overnighted in far worse airports. There is quite a bit of competition for the better night spots, e.g. the observation lounge, behind the steps to the observation lounge, or the few armrest-less chairs in the corridors behind the checkin counters. I'd stake a claim no later than 10pm.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:13 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Can't overnight airside. You can go through anytime the same
calendar day. The Subway is open 24/7. The best place I've
found (faintest announcements) is between C and D, downstairs.
D pier security opened around 4:30 this morning.

I tried my usual 55- Priceline bid for last night, and it didn't fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.