Wiki Posts
Search

Mourning the ADC Map & Travel Center

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Mourning the ADC Map & Travel Center

One of my favorite travel shops appears to have gone out of business: The ADC Map & Travel Center.

I'm sure that some other FlyerTalkers must have been in this store from time to time - I went there over the weekend to buy some books on Australia and found to my shock that it closed about two weeks ago. I thought this store was a true gem and it was rare that I walked out of here empty-handed - they had one of the best selections of travel books and maps that I had ever seen.

Anyway, just wanted to spread the bad news here in case anyone else is a fan.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by jkm024
One of my favorite travel shops appears to have gone out of business: The ADC Map & Travel Center.

I'm sure that some other FlyerTalkers must have been in this store from time to time - I went there over the weekend to buy some books on Australia and found to my shock that it closed about two weeks ago. I thought this store was a true gem and it was rare that I walked out of here empty-handed - they had one of the best selections of travel books and maps that I had ever seen.

Anyway, just wanted to spread the bad news here in case anyone else is a fan.
Never got the chance to go visit. Darn! ADC is still printing maps though. Right???
Old Aug 30, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Been there many times, but not for quite awhile. I can see how a map store appealing mainly to hard-core travelers and sitting in a prime Farragut Square location might have a bit of a problem making the rent.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 2:50 pm

Really! I'll miss ADC. For years, before I ever got up the cash to purchase a GPS, ADC was my store. Even recetly, my ADC purchased maps were frequently loaned to friends and family for their "once-in-a-lifetime" trips. I always made sure to get the maps back.

I still remember an inbound flt from IAD to CDG (with a connection to Lisbon) sitting with my just purchased map planning out my onward travel from Lisbon. I felt so savvy driving from Lisbon that I think I thought I had arrived as a true road warrior.

Sad to see it go.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Which raises the question - are there any specialty travel bookstores left in the area? Camilla's over on 14th and P closed a few years back, but maybe there is something I don't know of.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:04 am

Was this the store right by Farragut West?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Yes, right next to the east entrance on Farragut Square.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 2:49 pm

I was wondering when that might happen when I visited in June. I wanted to look at either a new Stationmasters or Streetwise DC, I forget which, and they were out of stock. It seemed a little suspect.

Oh well, Savvy Traveller in Chicago was a better store and they went out a few years ago, so I suppose it was just a matter of time. I wonder how Stanford's in London is doing... sigh.

BillJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.