Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to IAD from Richmond VA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Getting to IAD from Richmond VA

I'm looking at public transportation options from Richmond to IAD.

I thought originally of taking Amtrak into DC and then grabbing one of the various options to IAD.

But since Amtrak would be taking me through Northern Virginia, would it make sense to get off on another stop and grab a taxi? If so, which one? Also this will be on a Sunday - would need to be darn sure there were taxis available!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Get off at Alexandria, VA, one stop prior to DC. However, make sure you called a taxi in advance. Try Red Top Cab or White Top Cab.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:23 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Washington, D.C. Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Get off at Alexandria, VA, one stop prior to DC. However, make sure you called a taxi in advance. Try Red Top Cab or White Top Cab.
Bear in mind that a taxi from Alexandria to IAD will cost about $60 (including tip).

You could, however, still save time by getting off at Alexandria, walking across to the metro (King Street station is pretty much adjacent to the Amtrack station), and then using either of the more usual metro + bus public transit options. Yellow Line will take you to L'enfant Plaza for the 5A, Blue Line will take you to Rosslyn where you can either get the 5A or transfer to Orange Line to West Falls Church for the Washington Flyer bus.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Thanks, since I will have luggage this sounds like the better option. (Thanks also to the others for their advice!)

I found the redtop cab site, so I'll give them a call. Roughly how long a ride do you think it would be? (Around 1:00 pm on a Sunday, early August ...)
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:01 pm

Another idea you might consider

Trina:

Something else you might consider, if you can, is a one-way car rental from the Richmond area to IAD.

We looked into that a few months back when we were booking a vacation where it was cheaper to fly out of IAD than RIC, but the flight back was about the same. We looked into the major rental companies (but away from the airport proper), other than Enterprise, which seems to frown on one-way rentals around here. We found a rental car for $75 for a 24 hour one-way rental with unlimited mileage, and a drop off at the IAD rental facility. Then we'd just take the rental shuttles to the airport.

Just something else to throw into the mix.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: US Silver, CO, DL
Roughly how long a ride do you think it would be?

On a Sunday it should take between 45 mins to an hour from the Alexandria King Street Station to IAD.

Since there are several hotels near the station, there are almost always several taxis in line there. You'll have to exit the Amtrak station and walk around the corner to the Metro entrance. That's where the taxis will be waiting.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JAGorham
We found a rental car for $75 for a 24 hour one-way rental with unlimited mileage, and a drop off at the IAD rental facility.
Originally Posted by gtownguy
On a Sunday it should take between 45 mins to an hour from the Alexandria King Street Station to IAD... Since there are several hotels near the station, there are almost always several taxis in line there.
I'm going to guess that Amtrak fare from Richmond to Alexandria plus cab fare from Alexandria to IAD would exceed the cost of a Priceline car rental from Richmond to IAD. I should think the cab fare alone in that equation would be at least $50 plus tip. I'd hire the car, myself.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
I live about a mile from the Alexandria AMTRAK Station. There should be several cabs (usually Yellow or Diamond) waiting when the train arrives, and a cab ride to Dulles typically runs around $70+ including tip.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:24 pm

even with bags, you'll have no problem taking the 5A, it has luggage racks. It is only $6 pp which is way cheaper then a cab.

The King St Metro Station and Alexandria Amtrak Station are the sameplace, and the tracks run right next to each other.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I'd strongly favor the car rental option.

The public transportation options involve hassle and multiple waiting times. The 5A bus runs every 45 or 60 minutes -- miss one and you're waiting around. The metrorail on weekends is subject to delays for repairs. You could wait 20 minutes for a train if you are unlucky (I've waited as long as 30 minutes). Then waiting for Amtrak. And you're lugging around luggage in hot weather (assuming you're talking about the next month or two).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.