Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Cellphone/Wireless Store PHL Airport

Old Jan 25, 2010, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Hello all, would anyone happen to know if there is a cell phone/wireless store landside in Philadelphia International Airport? I'm flying in on BA from the U.K and wonder if there is a shop that I could access to buy a pre-paid sim card for my phone? #I assume this would have to be after customs.

Cheers
Old Jan 25, 2010, 6:36 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Landside? I don't think so. I think the only store you'll run into would be a newstand in the the Arrivals hall but I don't know if they'll have what you're looking for.

(I see you're flying BA but you may actually get more luck with this being posted in the US forum as PHL is a hub.)
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: BA GfL
Wirelessly posted (Palm Treo 650: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

In the airport, there is pretty much nothing landside except for that newsstand in Intl Arrivals. I would be very surprised if they sold SIM cards. If you are taking the SEPTA train into Philly, you will find a Verizon Wireless shop in 30th St Station.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Wirelessly posted (Palm Treo 650: BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

In the airport, there is pretty much nothing landside except for that newsstand in Intl Arrivals. I would be very surprised if they sold SIM cards. If you are taking the SEPTA train into Philly, you will find a Verizon Wireless shop in 30th St Station.
Except of course Verizon is CDMA so no SIM cards. If you are staying in Center City, there are numerous TMobile and AT&T stores that should have SIM cards.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA GfL

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Except of course Verizon is CDMA so no SIM cards. If you are staying in Center City, there are numerous TMobile and AT&T stores that should have SIM cards.
Really? Now that you remind me, I realize that suggesting a Verizon store was pretty stupid if an overseas person wants a SIM card, but I would think that it's just because their phone couldnt talk to Verizon's network--not that CDMA phones don't have SIM cards at all. I have a Verizon Blackberry Tour (granted, it is both GSM and CDMA) and it has a SIM card. Other Verizon phones don't? I never knew that.

Last edited by travelmad478; Feb 1, 2010 at 1:01 pm
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by travelmad478

Really? Now that you remind me, I realize that suggesting a Verizon store was pretty stupid if an overseas person wants a SIM card, but I would think that it's just because their phone couldnt talk to Verizon's network--not that CDMA phones don't have SIM cards at all. I have a Verizon Blackberry Tour (granted, it is both GSM and CDMA) and it has a SIM card. Other Verizon phones don't? I never knew that.
Standard Sprint and Verizon phones don't have SIM cards. As you noted with your Blackberry, Verizon sells "world" phones which simply have a GSM SIM card added for use in Europe and elsewhere. This is the primary disadvantage of US CDMA networks; they don't work many other places in the world and unlike GSM phones, you can't simply buy an unlocked phone and slip in and out pre-paid SIM cards when you travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.