Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]

Old Dec 21, 18, 8:16 am

The pavement issue is likely not as dramatic as it is being made out to be. The top lift of asphalt (wearing surface) has likely not been laid yet. If there is some significant rutting taking place in selected areas, that can be addresses by milling those areas out, recompacting the sub grade and replacing the asphalt lifts up to and including the wearing surface lift.
DCA writer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 19, 8:52 am

Programs: United MP
Any new updates?
Old Mar 27, 19, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Last projection was summer 2020. That, as with all prior dates, presumes that there are no other issues (which is a large presumption).
Old Mar 29, 19, 7:57 am

Programs: United MP
[QUOTE=Often1;30935452]Last projection was summer 2020. That, as with all prior dates, presumes that there are no other issues (which is a large presumption).[/QUOT

It does seem to be on schedule, but I don't know that for sure.
Old Aug 5, 19, 6:13 pm

Tentative opening date announced.

"The Silver Line to Dulles International Airport and Loudoun County, Virginia, will open on or about July 16, 2020, at least if everything goes according to plan from here on out, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority said."

First potential opening date set for Silver Line into Loudoun County
08 05 2019 1657
Max Smith
WTOP FM 103.5

If anybody wants to bet on the exact date, the date I am taking for the betting pool is 07 25 2020 as that date is 6 years minus a day after the opening of Phase I.
DCA writer and Nayef like this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak
Originally Posted by SandBoxJohn View Post
If anybody wants to bet on the exact date, the date I am taking for the betting pool is 07 25 2020 as that date is 6 years minus a day after the opening of Phase I.
I know you're not prone to unfounded optimism on infrastructure projects and that you have a good history of knowing more about Metro than what gets into a lot of press coverage, so I have to ask: What's making you think this estimate will stick?
Old Aug 6, 19, 5:34 am

DCA writer
I know you're not prone to unfounded optimism on infrastructure projects and that you have a good history of knowing more about Metro than what gets into a lot of press coverage, so I have to ask: What's making you think this estimate will stick?

MWAA has been reasonably transparent on the ups and downs in the progress of the project. They have noted the padding in the schedule and announced adjustment in said padding.
Old Aug 6, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak
One thing I can promise myself: If the Silver Line does open to IAD when I'm in town, I will be on the first westbound revenue-service train out of Wiehle. That's a moment I've been waiting over 25 years for!
Old Aug 6, 19, 12:05 pm

"DCA writer"
One thing I can promise myself: If the Silver Line does open to IAD when I'm in town, I will be on the first westbound revenue-service train out of Wiehle. That's a moment I've been waiting over 25 years for!

Was present for all of the segment openings, can't say I road aboard the first trains though.
Old Aug 11, 19, 9:18 am

Programs: Handcuffed to Delta and IHG by Concur
Originally Posted by SandBoxJohn View Post
"DCA writer"

Was present for all of the segment openings, can't say I road aboard the first trains though.
Have I missed something? I thought they decided to just open the line in two fell swoops -- phase 1 and phase 2. So for phase 1, didn't all the segments of that phase open on the same day? And won't that likewise be the case for phase 2 next year?
Old Yesterday, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Any estimates on how long it will take to go from Dulles to L'Enfant Plaza once this is complete?
Old Today, 10:01 am

Programs: AA/US - PlatinumPro; 1W Sapphire; HHonors - Silver; UA dirt
I would bet 55-60 minutes. Its 46 from Wiehle.