Wiki Posts
Search

Best airport for Delaware

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Best airport for Delaware

Hi, I'm going to be staying with some friends in late Jan and they live near Dover, DE. Trying to decide on what would be the best airport for me to fly into from LHR and drive to them? Any advice from those familiar with DE?
Or are there any train routes that would get me near there for them to pick me up?

Cheers
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Google Maps shows that PHL is closer to Dover than BWI -- about 1 1/4 hour drive.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Analise
Google Maps shows that PHL is closer to Dover than BWI -- about 1 1/4 hour drive.
Plus, under normal conditions less of a hassle to drive up to PHL than down to BWI.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles, HHonors, Marriott Rewards
I've never taken the train into Delaware (usually from south Jersey to PHL), but the Septa R2 will take you to the Wilmington/Newark area. It's still about an hour from Dover, but might be more convenient for them to pick you up from there instead of the airport.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I would also agree that PHL is the airport to fly into.

If you do take (SEPTA), realize that you'll need to take the R1 to 30th Street Station (essentially center city Philly) and then catch the R2 south to Newark, DE. Depending on how you tired you are after flight, this could be a brutal stretch of catching multiple commuter trains.

It's a bit of a haul from PHL to Dover, but it may be easier on you than the trains (but maybe not easier on your hosts).
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice, going to fly into PHL as you all suggest and take a rental car.

And if I might ask one more question, hopefully without starting a riot
Where should I go to try a great Philly cheese steak ? I'll drive back into Philly on a later day.

Cheers
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by cellplex
Where should I go to try a great Philly cheese steak ? I'll drive back into Philly on a later day.
Lots of cheese steak advice in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-a...esesteaks.html
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PHL would be the best airport and rent a car for the quickest cheapest trip (there are $$$ shuttles to Dover). Drive I-95 south to DE-1 (toll) south to Dover. Suggestion: Forget the Philly cheese steak.

MisterNice
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cellplex
Thanks all for the advice, going to fly into PHL as you all suggest and take a rental car.

Cheers
Pat's in South Philly. http://www.gophila.com/C/Dining_and_...eaks/1046.html
Old Nov 19, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by MisterNice
PHL would be the best airport and rent a car for the quickest cheapest trip (there are $$$ shuttles to Dover). Drive I-95 south to DE-1 (toll) south to Dover. Suggestion: Forget the Philly cheese steak.
+1. If you really want a good Philly food experience, go to Tony Luke's (Oregon Ave., right off I-95) for a roast pork sandwich. Way better than a cheese steak.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelmad478
+1. If you really want a good Philly food experience, go to Tony Luke's (Oregon Ave., right off I-95) for a roast pork sandwich. Way better than a cheese steak.
BINGO!!

MisterNice
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
To be precise, at Tony Luke's that sandwich should be ordered as a "Pork Italian, rabe and sharp."

That means you want it with the broccoli rabe and the sharp provolone. I don't know how you order it if you want it without that stuff. I've never heard it ordered any other way.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Cheers all for the replies and advice, think I'll put on my extra large jeans and hit all of them in day
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:05 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Just realize that traffic around the airport can be a PITA especially at rush hour and weather can be another detractor. Travel safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.