FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic-453/)
-   -   AeroTrain delayed again, to at least November (unofficially) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mid-atlantic/1002483-aerotrain-delayed-again-least-november-unofficially.html)

djlndc Jan 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Annandaler (Post 13181181)
Announced today. Aerotrain starts carrying passengers between Main Terminal and Concourses A, B, and C at 4am on Tuesday, 1/26/10.

Late at night on 1/25, B gates from B14 to B32 will be re-signed as A gates (A14-A32).

Confirmed Annadaler post as true yesterday. Staff said quite forcefully that it will open on January 26. Seems like they are as frustrated as we are.

GoingAway Jan 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by djlndc (Post 13236167)
Seems like they are as frustrated as we are.

Speak for yourself ... I don't envision much of an improvement to the process or time once this thing opens. I hope to be proved wrong but it will take a significant change to get there (my luck with the ppl movers has been pretty good except for really late/early flights)

GuyIncognito Jan 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway (Post 13236388)
Speak for yourself ... I don't envision much of an improvement to the process or time once this thing opens. I hope to be proved wrong but it will take a significant change to get there (my luck with the ppl movers has been pretty good except for really late/early flights)

It will be an improvement, if for nothing more than not having to go through the annoying process of filling up a whole mobile lounge, than jostling passengers around as the driver winds his way to the drivers seat. Or getting stuck on the tarmac waiting for a plane to pull out or in. Or getting a new driver who takes a minute just to dock the thing, continually slamming on the brakes. And if you've seen the pictures of the tram stations, it definitely presents a much better face to the traveling public for the nation's capital.

But for UA flyers, it won't be much of a time saver. The C terminal will be a lengthy walk away from the station (and given MWAA's ability to keep up their other moving walkways, you'll probably be hoofing it the whole time). And the D terminal won't even be served by the train. And arriving international flights will continue to be served by mobile lounges.

Here's to small improvements!

nevansm Jan 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Trip out on 1/30, a little excited to ride the train!

CHIC SILBER Jan 24, 2010 9:10 pm

Lucky

Originally Posted by nevansm (Post 13248202)
Trip out on 1/30, a little excited to ride the train!

I find it commendable that it takes so little to excite you

I'm just a cynical curmudgeon myself

ECOTONE Jan 25, 2010 12:29 pm

article in today's WaPo:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/get...?hpid=newswell

jbrevard Jan 28, 2010 12:00 pm

It's Open, folks!

Flew out yesterday (01/27) IAD > FRA and was very pleased that the trains are running now between Main, A, and C Terminals at IAD. ^^^ Because of the placement of future terminal(s), the C Terminal Station is connected to the current C Terminal by a tunnel and speedramp from the Train Station to escalators that carry one up to the Terminal.

Train was a little slower that I thought it would be, and the tunnel is a bit like walking through what I always imagined "Starbase Twelve" would look like. It does, however, eliminate the pesky buses for getting to the terminal.

Don't think though, that there's any relief at the return end of this trip. I expect we'll still be forced like herd animals to walk down the sterile corridor from our arriving flight to The :mad: Buses :mad: From :mad: Hell on our way to Customs & Immigration. May report back if I remember to.

Overall, a positive for the airport's reputation, and for anyone flying domestically. :-::-::-: out of 5 :-:'s