FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Violent crime at beach resort areas in Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/770046-violent-crime-beach-resort-areas-mexico.html)

trilinearmipmap Dec 19, 2007 9:21 pm

Violent crime at beach resort areas in Mexico

We are considering a trip to Ixtapa in March. We have traveled to Mexico many times, visiting Cancun, Ixtapa and Puerto Vallarta and never experienced any violent crime.

However over the years I have read many news stories about extremely violent crimes in Mexico, including carjackings, kidnappings, beheadings, and murders.

In the past I always felt safe in the tourist areas. Most of the crimes I have read about seem to have occurred in Mexico City or other places away from the main tourist areas.

However there have been more recent news reports that make me wonder about the safety of tourists in the beach resorts. A couple of Canadians murdered in the Cancun/Costa Maya area. An entire police station full of police officers massacred in Acapulco. Hotel managers in tourist areas kidnapped.

I know that statistically someone will say it is more dangerous to visit the U.S.A. than to visit Mexico. Still the brutality and scale of the violence is hard for a Canadian to come to grips with.

The bottom line is, we are assessing whether or not to visit this beautiful country again. We'd like to make a decision based on facts and not sensationalism. Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

aumedina Dec 19, 2007 10:53 pm

Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos are mostly safe for anyone, specially in the tourist area. Crimes are incidental.

If you're concerned about security, maybe you should discard Acapulco and Tampico. There have been some incidents in the last months in the tourist area.

Huatulco and Ixtapa are very safe. They're very calm places in general, and not very commercial (the "real mexico", as said by american visitors)

AAJetMan Dec 20, 2007 11:10 am

Originally Posted by aumedina (Post 8927586)
Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos are mostly safe for anyone, specially in the tourist area. Crimes are incidental.

If you're concerned about security, maybe you should discard Acapulco and Tampico. There have been some incidents in the last months in the tourist area.

Huatulco and Ixtapa are very safe. They're very calm places in general, and not very commercial (the "real mexico", as said by american visitors)

The serious incidents in Acapulco that I've heard about did not target tourists. In my numerous visits to the city (most recently November, next visit scheduled for Jan) over the last 18 months, I've had no safety problems or concerns, despite spending many late hours walking along La Costera (the main street). I see plenty of officers patrolling too.

The beheadings, and the police station massacre that have made news were reported as being drug cartel related. If you're in the drug cartel business, you'd be well advised to stay away! ;)

Acapulco is a beautiful bay. If, however, you desire more tranquility along a peaceful, beachside "escape from life", try Pie de la Cuesta, just a few miles from Acapulco with a fantastic stretch of beach along a quiet, small town.

horse glasses Dec 20, 2007 7:43 pm

I was in Acapulco in September and there was absolutely nothing scary or dangerous that I experienced, whatsoever. I don't understand why people get so irrationally worried about Mexico but have no qualms about traveling to other places.

aumedina Dec 20, 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by AAJetMan (Post 8930388)
The serious incidents in Acapulco that I've heard about did not target tourists. The beheadings, and the police station massacre that have made news were reported as being drug cartel related.

I'm mexican and I've not interest in discouraging tourism to my beautiful country. But after we saw a pair of patrols running after a black Suburban in the Costera we didn't come back to Acapulco.

And, you can always get a "bala perdida", as some have :(

AAJetMan Dec 21, 2007 9:50 am

Originally Posted by aumedina (Post 8933520)
I'm mexican and I've not interest in discouraging tourism to my beautiful country. But after we saw a pair of patrols running after a black Suburban in the Costera we didn't come back to Acapulco.

It is unfortunate that you had to experience a single event like this that would leave such a lasting, negative impression. Sometimes we as humans associate unpleasant events with certain environs. Totally understandable.

I've never seen anything like this...well, not in Acapulco anyway. I'm not surprised, though, as I would expect any big city to have its occassional problems.
Personally, the pleasant nature of the locals I've met, the great and varied restaurants, the fantastic bay, the interminable warm weather, and its "Mexican Charm" despite being a large city, keep me returning to Acapulco. My recent discovery of Pie de la Cuesta helps too.

aumedina Dec 21, 2007 10:12 pm

Fortunately I have just personally experienced a single event.

However, I read/hear/watch/browse national news everyday, and there is a striking difference in organized-crime events in Acapulco related to other resorts. My opinion regarding Acapulco's security was previous to this event.

I also know several crime events in Tampico, but it could be related to having some family there.

AAJetMan Dec 22, 2007 5:31 am

Originally Posted by aumedina (Post 8938792)
Fortunately I have just personally experienced a single event.

However, I read/hear/watch/browse national news everyday, and there is a striking difference in organized-crime events in Acapulco related to other resorts. My opinion regarding Acapulco's security was previous to this event.

I would unfortunately have to agree that organized crime (typically drug cartel-related) has been a problem in many parts of Mexico, including Acapulco. (I have even read newspaper articles on how the crimes have moved into Texas, following the dealers and the $$$$.) Many dealers and law enforcers have suffered in Mexico.

Based upon your observation re: Acapulco, how often have murders and kidnappings, crimes refereced by the OP, targeted tourists in Acapulco over the last few years?

aumedina Dec 23, 2007 3:46 pm

I consider this issue has been overdiscussed here. I wouldn't cancel a travel to Acapulco due to fear of a crime. But I would certainly prefer Cancun, Nuevo Vallarta, Huatulco, etc.

A few links, showing different aspects of the problem:

http://www.sectur.gob.mx/Congreso_de...l%20Lozano.pdf
http://www.turista.com.mx/article565.html
http://sgnoticias.blogspot.com/2007/...-resolver.html

AAJetMan Dec 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by aumedina (Post 8945503)
...I wouldn't cancel a travel to Acapulco due to fear of a crime. But I would certainly prefer Cancun, Nuevo Vallarta, Huatulco, etc.

Thank you for the links, aumedina.
I do believe that the Travel Advisory is not currently in effect for Acapulco. (By the way, I visited shortly after it was imposed.)

I totally agree about not cancelling a trip due to fear of crime.
Foremost in consideration should be what the tourist wants to experience of Mexico, a wonderfully diverse and rewarding country.

trilinearmipmap Dec 23, 2007 9:06 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies to this topic.

I have concluded that there is a serious out-of-control violent crime problem in Mexico, with the corruption of police and public officials being a major contributing factor.

However the likelihood of my family being a victim of crime in Mexico is still low. I have booked my tickets to Ixtapa in March and will post back here after the trip.

If you do not here from me by March 24th then you will know what has happened.

Landing Gear Dec 23, 2007 9:22 pm

Pie de la Cuesta

Originally Posted by AAJetMan (Post 8935491)
It is unfortunate that you had to experience a single event like this that would leave such a lasting, negative impression. Sometimes we as humans associate unpleasant events with certain environs. Totally understandable.

I've never seen anything like this...well, not in Acapulco anyway. I'm not surprised, though, as I would expect any big city to have its occassional problems.
Personally, the pleasant nature of the locals I've met, the great and varied restaurants, the fantastic bay, the interminable warm weather, and its "Mexican Charm" despite being a large city, keep me returning to Acapulco. My recent discovery of Pie de la Cuesta helps too.

I was last in Pie de la Cuesta in 1990. Still remember the breathtaking sunset.

Tell me, by now there must be huge hotels there, no?

AAJetMan Dec 24, 2007 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear (Post 8946735)
I was last in Pie de la Cuesta in 1990. Still remember the breathtaking sunset.

Tell me, by now there must be huge hotels there, no?

Heavens no! Fortunately. ^
My first visit was last month. Pie has retained its quiet, village-like ambience. It's most famous lodgings are arguably Vayma and Tres Marias, both still quite modest.
I can hardly wait to return mid-January!!

Landing Gear Dec 25, 2007 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by AAJetMan (Post 8947642)
Heavens no! Fortunately. ^
My first visit was last month. Pie has retained its quiet, village-like ambience. It's most famous lodgings are arguably Vayma and Tres Marias, both still quite modest.
I can hardly wait to return mid-January!!

Thanks!

When I visited I was with my ex-girlfriend and we stayed at Las Brisas. How is that doing?

AAJetMan Dec 26, 2007 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear (Post 8954178)
Thanks!

When I visited I was with my ex-girlfriend and we stayed at Las Brisas. How is that doing?

It's been about 5 years since I've stayed there, but from what I've been reading lately it continues to be as romantic and unique as ever.
Love those private pools on the balconey up on the hill overlooking the bay!! ^