FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Mexico City Dining? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/641735-mexico-city-dining.html)

amunter Dec 31, 2006 4:14 pm

Mexico City Dining?

My wife and I are heading out on a week-long trip to DF in a few days, and while there's quite a thread on safety in Mexico City, a search of the recent posting history doesn't reveal any threads specifically on the all-important topic of food.

We're staying at the FS, so assume that we'll need to either take cars, pre-arranged taxis, or Metro to places -- that's not an issue. But I'd appreciate any suggestions on where great eats can be found!

chtiet Jan 3, 2007 2:23 pm

There should be a number of old threads on this, so you may want to do a search.

One recommendation is El Cardenal, which has two locations downtown, one on Calle Palma, about a block from the Zocalo, and the other in the downtown Sheraton across from Bellas Artes (this one is slightly better). Excellent Mexican food, and usually packed with locals. They do not open for dinner on some weeknights though, and I don't think they take reservations either. But it's definitely worth the potential wait.

El Cochinito Jan 4, 2007 11:12 am

El Cardenal is one of my all time favorites too. Highly recommended.
http://www.elcardenal.com.mx/

El Cochinito Jan 4, 2007 11:12 am

El Cardenal is one of my all time favorites too. Highly recommended.
http://www.elcardenal.com.mx/

AJK1535 Jan 16, 2007 1:57 pm

Bar La Opera has good food and is historical as well. La Casa de los Azulejos, home of the original Sanborns also has decent food for a good price.

TMOliver Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm

Late night ethnic music, soft tacos from ingredients of which your were previously, maybe thankfully, unaware, a view of a portion of the local populace whose earnings may be of questionable legality....the "real" autentico Cd Mexico....Plaza Garibaldi!

Go in a group, maybe even hire a cop to go along - cheaper and a better solution than you might imagine in a land where a car w/a driver may rent for little more than just a rentacar.

glydadx2 Jan 16, 2007 2:08 pm

El Cardenal in the Sheraton Centro Historico is an excellent choice and they have a nice bar in the hotel for after dinner drinks.

When in MEX I always stay at the Sheraton Centro Historico and hit El Cardenal.

I also enjoy going to either Polanco or the Zona Rosa and having a dinner at Angus Steak house. I like the one in the Zona Rosa best as you can sit outside and watch all the activity on the streets.

Pfaelzer Jan 18, 2007 11:55 pm

Romatic spot in DF?

I want to invite my girlfriend tomorrow on a nice diner and are looking for a romantic spot in Mexico DF. Does anyone have a nice suggestion?

Justanother1k Jan 19, 2007 3:55 pm

Here are a few suggestions. Go late (9 or later), otherwise, you may be the only people in the place:

For what many consider to be the best food in town:
-Bakea in Lomas de Chapultepec (French-Basque)

If you are more about the romance/atmosphere than the food (although the food can be quite good)
-Lago del Chapultepec in the park
-Bellini (on top of the World Trade Center)
-LeCirque in the Camino Real (a branch of LeCirque 2000 in New York)

Good food, more of a local scene, less pricey than the above:
DO in Polanco
Naos on Palmas

Also, while you are here, take a tour through the Condesa. Start with a drink in the Condesa DF hotel, then walk down Tamulipas and Michoacan streets and check out the bars and restaurants along the way that catch your eye. It could be the most romantic evening of your stay.

Have fun.

Elena Jan 21, 2007 7:15 pm

Try Pujol in Polanco. They have excellent tasting menus. Le Cirque is fabulous- the food is better than in NY. I had the duck which was magnificent and the desserts were tasty and very nicely presented. If you decide to go to Le Cirque make sure to have drinks or dessert at Moonbar in the same hotel it has a lovely outdoor space and cozy lighting. There's also a pretty good China Grill in the Camino Real.

You might want to try Aguila y Sol and Izote, two innovative award-winning restaurants.

Concierges will recommend "Hacienda de los Morales" which is overrated IMO as is Chez Wok which is raved about although it's just your average Chinese. Avoid the San Angel Inn, many tourists wind up there and the food is lacking. The food at the W restaurant was also rather disappointing although the atmosphere is very nice. I too stayed at the Four Seasons and had lunch at their awardwinning restaurant- it was good but nothing out of the ordinary.

Pfaelzer Jan 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Went to the Bellini in the WTC; it was actually a nice atmosphere, I had a great evening, although food was rather average. Will try some of the other suggestions next time I'll be there. For now I am in Buenos Aires, where there is actually no lack of excellent opportunities.