FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Hacienda del Mar, Cabo San Lucas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/544382-hacienda-del-mar-cabo-san-lucas.html)

Speechlady Apr 4, 2006 11:01 am

Hacienda del Mar, Cabo San Lucas

I'll be staying at the Hacienda del Mar property in Cabo next week. Looking for suggestions for reasonable places to eat, transportation to and from the airport and into town, and any other activities that fellow FlyerTalkers found interesting in that area. Thanks!

sonora Apr 6, 2006 9:31 am

Depends on whether you want quiet or rowdy. Cabo is the rowdy end, with Cabo Wabo and other party bars. There is also a mall with movie theatre, and a Costco, in Cabo.

We did a dinner cruise out of Cabo that was nice. I liked the sightseeing part of it, the food was ok, I wasunderwhelmed by the entertainment.

We prefer San Jose del Cabo. We like to sit outside at The Tropicana Restaurant and people watch.

If you hang out on the beach the market will come to you. Horseback rides, wave runners, jewelry, blankets, hats, ultralight rides, jeep tours, will all be offered by vendors strolling along the beach.

Taxi rides from the airport are expensive. We usually rent a car, which is also expensive because we get the insurance since our US insurance doesn't cover Mexican rentals. We like dealing with Hector at Thrifty. If you are interested, he can fix you up with a big discount off your care rental in exchange for sitting through a time share presentation.

We enjoy driving along the coast to Todos Santos and hanging out in the cafes there. You can also easily drive to La Paz and back in the same day.

tdo-ca Apr 7, 2006 12:34 pm

When I stayed there (couple years ago), I took one of the hotel vans to the property; this was convenient enough and only stopped at two hotels prior, and they were all bunched up, anyway.

Did not rent a car on that occasion, and took a few cabs into Cabo San Lucas, which was too far to walk - I think it was about ten bucks each way. Did not venture to San Jose del Cabo.

loomis Apr 8, 2006 9:38 am

You are probably catching the end of the whale watching season. We took a buffet style, whale watching cruise. Free booze. It got a little rowdy for my style. It was pretty cool to see The Arch (El Arco?) and seals hanging out on the rocks.

Tomco Apr 14, 2006 8:06 am

A little bit more info

Taxi's from the airport are a very expensive deal. There are shared shuttles available at about a quarter of the cost but you will have to wait while other passengers are dropped off.If you can, catch the hotel bus.Give them a call and see if it is available.

Hire cars from San Jose, San Lucas or one of the hotels on the fourlane between the two towns. This way, you do not pay an airport tax. It is cheaper to book on the internet than through a walk in.

There are lots of restaurants from inexpensive to hugely expensive. Note that expesnsive does not guarantee fine cuisine. I have had excellent and tasty $10.00 meals at a roadside cafe.

Don't get too hung up on taking a taxi into the towns. The buses are frequent and cheap and safe. If late at night or on your own, sure take a cab, the rest of the time you will save yourself some pennies on the bus.

Do mooch around San Jose, totally different (Thank god) from San Lucas.

Cheers

Tom

sonora Apr 14, 2006 9:10 am

www.transcabo.com

The above is a reasonably priced destination management company that offers airport transport among other things. The airport transport is generally cheaper and nicer than cabs. There is both a shared shuttle option and private transport available.

X3Skier Apr 18, 2006 12:35 pm

Tour/Transport Source

I have used VIATOR.com ^ for trips to Europe and Mexico. They may be a subsudiary of Gray Line (at least they use them in Los Cabos) but I think they also have independent operators. Give it a look.

Cheers