FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Acapulco Hotel Suggestions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/506737-acapulco-hotel-suggestions.html)

BigBopper Dec 22, 2005 3:37 pm

Acapulco Hotel Suggestions

As the title says, I need some hotel suggestions in Acapulco for Feb. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

phoney Dec 27, 2005 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by BigBopper
As the title says, I need some hotel suggestions in Acapulco for Feb. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Me too, never been there and the choices don't look to great. I wish there was a starwood close!

SAT Lawyer Dec 27, 2005 1:08 pm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...st-Hotels.html

maltasr Dec 28, 2005 5:52 am

Thanks

What price range are you looking at? I have several suggestions varying from $40/nite to $350/nite.

kboo Dec 28, 2005 6:13 am

Fairmont Acapulco Princess

Just stayed there a couple of weeks ago in an Ocean View room. Large rooms but furnishings (or lack thereof) make the room feel a little sparse: marble/terrazzo floors, no comfortable chairs - wicker/bamboo furnishings with a small round table and 2 chairs. Then again, you are not spending that much time in your room anyway. Here's my quick pros/cons:

PROS:
Gorgeous, wide beach with soft sand - much prettier than the original "strip" in Acapulco (the bay)
Very close to airport
Restaurants and bars plentiful, lots of decent food
Pretty resort
Staff **very** friendly and helpful
Lots of pools and lounge chairs

CONS:
Not that much stuff immediately outside the resort (other than a Wal-Mart and McD's!) - you'll have to go to the city of acapulco for nightlife, restaurants, etc, which is a $15-$20 cab ride and 20-30 minutes away...
...Which also means you'll pay hotel prices to eat, etc.

Also, the hotel feels like a giant cruise ship on land - which may be a PRO or CON depending on what you are looking for.

(Note, after the Fairmont we also stayed at an older condo in Acapulco proper that was on the bay - when we got in the taxi and told the driver where we were going, he said, "Why are you leaving here?" All in all, I liked Cabo, Cancun and Riviera Maya better - those are my only points of comparison in Mexico)

Hope this helps.

AAJetMan Jan 2, 2006 5:46 pm

I stayed at Las Brisas a few years ago. It's quite a treat having a private pool on your patio overlooking the bay!

Now you won't exactly fatigue swimming lengths...it was a rather small pool. But it was quite relaxing. The freshly placed hibiscus in your pool is a nice touch.
You will receive a very nice fruit and bread basket each morning too.

The hotel is up in the hills, away from the city. It's a romantic setting.

Here's the best pricing I've ever seen for the hotel. Please note the different types of rooms.
http://www.differentworld.com/mexico...s/entrance.htm

maltasr Jan 8, 2006 11:09 pm

Hard to Beat Las Brisas

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
I stayed at Las Brisas a few years ago. It's quite a treat having a private pool on your patio overlooking the bay!

Now you won't exactly fatigue swimming lengths...it was a rather small pool. But it was quite relaxing. The freshly placed hibiscus in your pool is a nice touch.
You will receive a very nice fruit and bread basket each morning too.

The hotel is up in the hills, away from the city. It's a romantic setting.

Here's the best pricing I've ever seen for the hotel. Please note the different types of rooms.
http://www.differentworld.com/mexico...s/entrance.htm

Have stayed at Las Brisas seven times over 20 years. Have never been disappointed. It used to be a Westin Hotel but is now owned by a Mexico City corporation. If you want total privacy and relaxation, this is definitely the place. Only complaints I've heard from others is that there just isn't enough "action" within the hotel grounds and that it is a long way to reach the great discos, etc that Acapulco has to offer. Now that I'm retired and on a tighter budget, I like the Acapulco Sunscape near Condesa Beach. For $60 you have a great view, half block walk to the Costera Aleman, a great breakfast, and transportation from the airport. There's a nice pool and a private pool upstairs that I can usually access by simply asking. Have fun! :D

AAJetMan Jan 25, 2006 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by maltasr
... Now that I'm retired and on a tighter budget, I like the Acapulco Sunscape near Condesa Beach. For $60 you have a great view, half block walk to the Costera Aleman, a great breakfast, and transportation from the airport. There's a nice pool and a private pool upstairs that I can usually access by simply asking. Have fun! :D

This sounds intriguing. I wouldn't mind saving some money by not staying right on the beach.
What on the Costera is this place near/behind?

BigBopper Jan 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Thanks for the help. As I've been on the road this entire month except 2 nights and my wife has been traveling also, we were looking for a relaxed, do nothing kind of place. I've taken everyone's advice and done some research and booked Las Brisas. We leave Thursday (Feb 3rd) on those free AA tickets. I'll be sure to let everyone know how the hotel was.

Thanks again.

maltasr Jan 28, 2006 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
This sounds intriguing. I wouldn't mind saving some money by not staying right on the beach.
What on the Costera is this place near/behind?

Actually I´m staying there right now. The property is undergoing extensive renovation and is in the process of a change in ownership. Therefore, would not advise you stay there until a number of significant problems have been worked out. :o

marlin Jan 29, 2006 5:43 am

Got back from ACA last week. Stayed at the Hyatt which was so so. Lots of comments in the Hyatt section if you are interested.

Also wanted to recommend a wonderful driver, Senor Hector. He picked us up at the airport and drove nine of us to the Hyatt for $40. It was great to avoid the taxi crush and have him waiting for us. He speaks perfect English, and is very personable. We used him for touring and back to the airport too.

His e mail is: [email protected]

AAJetMan Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm

I just returned from Acapulco about two weeks ago.
Had a rather disappointing :( experience w/ the Calinda Beach Hotel.

I had reserved my room via telephone...directly to the hotel, about 4 days before my arrival. The reservation lady gave me her name, and quoted me the rate my reserved room would cost.

UPon arriving for checkin the front desk told me that my room type was not available, but the one type of ocean-view room they did have was a "very nice" suite, for approx 3x the price. I mean, we're talking Las Brisas prices here. This was a Saturday night. I don't doubt that my room had been given away. But it still disappointed me.

It took me a long time of negotiating (some Spanish, some English) w/ a manager to get the cost of the suite down to "just" about 2x the cost of the room I had confirmed.

Admittedly the suite was quite nice...top floor, large, TWO HUGE balconies. But you could still hear the ridiculously loud, annoying music (maybe I'm too old for that hip stuff) from the speakers at the pool.

The third night I moved back to my originally requested room which had become available. It was just fine, but a bit steep at $100. But then again, it's not the Acapulco of 1985 any more.

It was still a great trip. (Man, if you can't have a great time travelling, it's time to rethink life!!!). But this hotel experience really resulted in a budget buster. And although I ended up having a nice rapport w/ the staff, I really can't trust the reservation process. Reserver beware!!

AAJetMan Feb 1, 2006 6:17 am

Originally Posted by maltasr
Actually I´m staying there right now. The property is undergoing extensive renovation and is in the process of a change in ownership. Therefore, would not advise you stay there until a number of significant problems have been worked out. :o

Thanks for the advice.
Are we talking construction noise as the main problem? How was the service?
Also, any indication as to when the significant problems may subside?
I would quite like to get back to Acapulco in the next month or so.

AAJetMan Feb 1, 2006 6:20 am

Thanks for the help. As I've been on the road this entire month except 2 nights and my wife has been traveling also, we were looking for a relaxed, do nothing kind of place. I've taken everyone's advice and done some research and booked Las Brisas. We leave Thursday (Feb 3rd) on those free AA tickets. I'll be sure to let everyone know how the hotel was.

Thanks again.

Congratulations!!!! ^
I can't imagine you'll be less than enchanted w/ Las Brisas.
What type of accommodation did you get...Shared Pool? Private Pool? Beach Club?
Don't worry...I'm just curious...I don't plan to crash your party!!!! ;)

BigBopper Feb 1, 2006 5:13 pm

Beach Club. And don't worry, if you crashed my party, I'd offer you a cerveza.