FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   4hr 15min Layover enough time to leave CDMX airport for quick meal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/2081883-4hr-15min-layover-enough-time-leave-cdmx-airport-quick-meal.html)

OliverB Jun 5, 2022 10:13 am

4hr 15min Layover enough time to leave CDMX airport for quick meal?

We have a 4 hour 15 minute connection in Mexico City from Acapulco on our flight back to SFO. Would that be enough time to stash our luggage somewhere (airport lockers?) and catch a rideshare to a nearby restaurant for a quick dinner?

If absolutely not enough time, any suggestions on how to kill 4+ hrs @ CDMX airport; is there any decent food/drinks?

If flying Premiere on AeroMexico, do we get any lounge access privileges?

Thanks

RFNJ Jun 5, 2022 10:24 am

I would say 4 hours is not enough time to leave the airport, dine and return.
I do not know of any lockers to store luggage.
There are restaurants in the airport, both outside security and gate side. You do get access to AMs lounges, there are three in Terminal 2.

There is a La Mansion steakhouse and an Italian place just outside the baggage area. As well as a Carl Jr.s on the same level near the international baggage exit, and a few small cafe type options up the escalators. If upon arrival from Acapulco you just follow the signs for baggage, you will find it leaving the baggage area. You will have to go up the escalator and back through security to catch your flight.

OliverB Jun 5, 2022 10:39 am

Thanks so much. Do you recommend just staying inside the security zone?

Should we just hang out in the A.M. Salon Premier Int'l in T2?

It sounds like that's where we'll be deplaning... we also have Priority Pass cards, but those seem to be concentrated in T1.

There looks to be a local spot (Hector's Agavito) that's popular with the air crew directly across the street from the airport, but if it's going to be a tight squeeze to go through security again, we might as well just hang out in T2. I'm guessing our bags will just end up on the connecting flight, so we prob won't have to worry about luggage.

Eastbay1K Jun 5, 2022 1:37 pm

I would stay in the airport, airside. The AM lounges are not very good, but I've only been to them no more than a couple dozen or so times, so maybe I'm not the best one to give advice. The one I do like best (for relaxation, not for food selections) is the AM Heineken Terraza - it is far out by Gate 75, and is a bright and much more tranquil space than the other two AM lounges. Just opposite that in the same area is a Priority Pass lounge, which I was going to check out a few weeks ago, but didn't have much time. The Salon Aeromar is not worth the bother, although I've not bothered in a few years, so maybe, just maybe, there's more than a bag of chips or a snackiecake. I've never consumed non lounge food at MEX, so I can't guide you to a restaurant, but maybe someone makes a good taco.

If you want to leave the secured area but have a convenient and perhaps decent option (I have no personal experience with this) is visiting the NH Hotel restaurant within T2 (landside).

Note that in recent weeks, there have been some taxi protests completely blocking car access to the airport.

Finally, your 4:15 connection is will really only be three hours - you should probably be at the SFO gate an hour early so you can have your "interview" with an orange vest person verifying docs and asking you a few security questions. And then you've got five lounges you can visit.

OliverB Jun 5, 2022 1:58 pm

Super helpful info, thank you!!

Global Adventurer Jun 6, 2022 5:56 am

Stay in the airport. There's all kinds of restaurants and lounges.

asar Jun 16, 2022 3:29 pm

At what time / what day of the week? This changes things. You could potentially make it to Azul Histórico restaurant (with your bags, they can keep them at the front desk). It's rushed but doable.

If you stay at the airport, and if you have an Amex Plat, the ideal place to be would be the Centurion Lounge. Failing that, you can use the Aeromexico lounge. La Mansión restaurant is landside but security is very short. The sushi bar is airside and excellent.

OliverB Jun 16, 2022 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by asar (Post 34342648)
At what time / what day of the week? This changes things. You could potentially make it to Azul Histórico restaurant (with your bags, they can keep them at the front desk). It's rushed but doable.

If you stay at the airport, and if you have an Amex Plat, the ideal place to be would be the Centurion Lounge. Failing that, you can use the Aeromexico lounge. La Mansión restaurant is landside but security is very short. The sushi bar is airside and excellent.

SUNDAY AUG 21

ACA 15:16
MEX 16:35 (T2)

MEX 20:50 (T2)
SFO 23:29

We've got a reservation at Azul Historico on a separate night earlier in the trip. If anything, we'd cross the street to that cantina I posted about earlier (preferable to any landside options w/o adding much time), but the overwhelming consensus seems to suggest not leaving security as it'll be too rushed? Also, I doubt we'll have any luggage; I'm sure it'll get forward through AeroMexico on to our next flight.

asar Jun 17, 2022 7:47 am

No way that cantina is worth the hassle! I'd stay landside.

That time, traffic will be chill but also the chances of your ACA-MEX flight being delayed are very high. You'll end up with a 2-3 hr connection.

RFNJ Jun 23, 2022 7:51 am

Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 34343377)
SUNDAY AUG 21

ACA 15:16
MEX 16:35 (T2)

MEX 20:50 (T2)
SFO 23:29

Oliver, just a heads up - I take the ACA-MEX route all the time. Expect that particular flight to be delayed on arrival to MEX by at least 30 minutes or more, a combo of arriving late, then being forced to circle waiting for a landing slot. It has been consistently bad enough that for my usual 6:15 connection to JFK, I take an earlier flight from ACA and just wait the time out in a lounge. Too many close calls.
You will be fine with a 8 pm connection, but I would just plan to hang in the airport...