Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Quintana Roo (Cancun etc.) international VISITAX tourist tax effective April 1, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quintana Roo (Cancun etc.) international VISITAX tourist tax effective April 1, 2021

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 8:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

All international visitors to the state of Quintana Roo which includes Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Tulum must pay a new tourist taxeffective April 1, 2021. The new fee called Visitax will cost 224 pesos (~USD $11) per visitor and must be paid before boarding your departure flight. Here is all the information regarding how to fill out the form, pay the tax online and the official website where payment can be made. Children 14 and under are not required to pay the visitor fee.” (There is no tax for national / domestic visitors. There is a 10% reduction for visitors from Belize.)

This includes the entire state of Quintana Roo (keen-TAH-nah row), including Cancun, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya, etc. Most will pay this upon departure from CUN / Cancun International Airport or CZM / Cozumel.

According to Travel Off Path (link):
  1. All visitors to Cancun will be required to fill out an online form (at VISITAX). The form requires the following information:
  • The date you will be departing Cancun
  • How many people are in your party
  • First and last name of each person in your party
  • Birthdate of each person in your party
  • Passport number
2. Once visitors have filled out the form, they will be redirected to a secure payment page to complete the online payment which can be made by credit card.

3. Once payment is completed, travelers will be provided with a QR Code that will need to be presented to airport security before boarding their departure flight.

Link to VISITAX web page

New electronic terminals are also being set up at the airport where travelers will be able to make a cash payment for the new visitor fee.

Director General of the state tax administration, Rodrigo Díaz stated that the new tax will is not difficult to pay for visitors. “It’s expected to be an agile and simple transaction that won’t complicate visitors’ stay,” Díaz said.

State of Quintana Roo

VISITAX website to pay, get QR / voucher

Last edited by JDiver; May 16, 2021 at 8:26 am Reason: Add
Old May 16, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I flew out of Cancun last Friday, May 14th. While about to go up the escalators to security (after checking in) a young man holding a sign about this handed me a small flyer with a QR code to go to the site to pay the tax.

I stuck it in my pocket and ignored it. Nobody asked to see anything when boarding.

Regards
JDiver and BuildingMyBento like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I’m going to Cozumel later this month.

Taxes like this should be paid as part of the ticket price. It’s annoying to have to pay them separately.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I’m going to Cozumel later this month.

Taxes like this should be paid as part of the ticket price. It’s annoying to have to pay them separately.
If this had been a national tax. It might well have been, but this is a local state tax cooked up the governor and seems to be unevenly enforced as well. I suspect no airline will touch this for a while.

I’d say more, but I’d have to slap myself silly because it’d be OMNI/PR and I’m the forum Moderator.
Tanic, IAN-UK, lowfareair and 2 others like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
If this had been a national tax. It might well have been, but this is a local state tax cooked up the governor and seems to be unevenly enforced as well. I suspect no airline will touch this for a while.

I’d say more, but I’d have to slap myself silly because it’d be OMNI/PR and I’m the forum Moderator.
I'd be curious if people are actually paying it. I mean I could have gotten lucky, but honestly, I didn't see anyone that appeared to be paying it. I guess time will tell, but it is kind of annoying if it sticks. Cabo tried something similar but it's "voluntary"

Regards
Old May 18, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'd be curious if people are actually paying it. I mean I could have gotten lucky, but honestly, I didn't see anyone that appeared to be paying it. I guess time will tell, but it is kind of annoying if it sticks. Cabo tried something similar but it's "voluntary"

Regards
I was there Wednesday and there wasn't even the person handing out the flyer about it.
Old May 18, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
My husband & I flew out of T3 at CUN on May 3rd & we didn't pay it. No one mentioned it to us. No way were we going to pre-pay online before we got to the airport !!

We were there (in Q Roo) a few weeks ago, and in late December (unfortunately had to cancel last August & April there).

But jeeze louise, we're there spending our money (during a pandemic, no less), and they want to penalize you on the way out for $10 a person ??!! I'm sorry they lost all of those tourism pesos this last year, but why "punish" the tourists who actually come & spend money there ??!! I know, I know.....that was just a rhetorical question since there is no good answer !! haha
volabam likes this.
Old May 19, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by jmrp
My husband & I flew out of T3 at CUN on May 3rd & we didn't pay it. No one mentioned it to us. No way were we going to pre-pay online before we got to the airport !!

We were there (in Q Roo) a few weeks ago, and in late December (unfortunately had to cancel last August & April there).

But jeeze louise, we're there spending our money (during a pandemic, no less), and they want to penalize you on the way out for $10 a person ??!! I'm sorry they lost all of those tourism pesos this last year, but why "punish" the tourists who actually come & spend money there ??!! I know, I know.....that was just a rhetorical question since there is no good answer !! haha
But there is a good reason: they would love to tax everyone who didn't come but they just don't have a way to identify and collect from them....
Old May 19, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Section 107
But there is a good reason: they would love to tax everyone who didn't come but they just don't have a way to identify and collect from them....
Ha ha ha, oh I know it !! If they could, they would.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
I sent an email to satq.qroo.gob.mx regarding if Mexican Residents need to pay the tax and got the following response..

Hola
Soy un Residente Mexicano, necesito pagar este Impuesto Estatal cuando..

1.) Estoy regresando o saliendo a Mexico? (Atlanta <---> Cancún)

2.) Un vuelo nacional? Tijuana <--> Cancún

Muchas gracias por su respuesta..

.................................................. ..............
Reply from satq.qroo.gob.mx

Estimado usuario, en este caso por ser residente Mexicano no se lleva acabo el pago, en el caso que sea usted Mexicano y se encuentre radicando fuera del país, si tendría que realizar su pago en la pagina oficial del estado de Quintana Roo: www.visitax.gob.mx

.................................................. ..............

Mexican Residents don't need to pay the tax, but Mexican (Citizens) living outside the country need to pay, I don't know how SAT QR can find out the latter since this is a state entity. I probably should have phrased the first question differently, like when Mexican Residents arrive from a foreign destination as the first question implies that a Mexican is living outside the country. But it looks likes the answer is that Mexican Residents, regardless if they took a domestic flight or arrived from outside the country don't have to pay the tax, as they are generally treated like Mexicans with the same rights to live in the country.

I'm surprised somebody even understood what I wrote

Last edited by i0wnj00; Oct 12, 2021 at 9:27 pm
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:01 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Any recent experiences about this departure tax? I'm not going to pre-pay online either, I'll see once I get to CUN airport. I'll have more than enough time before my flight anyway when I arrive at the airport.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
In July, I had paid online and nobody ever asked for it. This was at CUN
Old Nov 11, 2021, 2:14 pm

Another reason to fly into MID and take the ADO bus east or rent a car. No massive groups of tourists, pleasant immigration and customs, and now no additional tax.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:29 pm

How does it work ? Tax is per journey ? Maximum long ? Have to pay each time I go back to this region during my stay in Mexico?
Old Mar 29, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I didn’t pay it on January. No one ever asked. Maybe it was part of my airfare, but if I hadn’t read about it on this forum, I would not have even known it existed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.