Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting through Mexico City Airport during COVID

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United
Transiting through Mexico City Airport during COVID

I would like to get folks thoughts on transiting through Mexico City airport during the age of COVID. MEX does not have a transit ability so everyone clears immigration and customs and as such COVID checks. I know that as of last year Delta will transfer bags to AreoMexico so no bags to collect. But given we are living in the age of COVID I would like to hedge my travel bets. We can fly through ATL but it would to be a day earlier or later. Not really wanting a day later as it removes a buffer for late arriving baggage. We will have both vaccine and tests results for travel as we will need them for our final destination. It is was during normal times I would not be posing the question, especially cause I can get seats up front for a reasonable amount. But these are not normal times.

So what has been folk's transiting experiences ???
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I would like to get folks thoughts on transiting through Mexico City airport during the age of COVID. MEX does not have a transit ability so everyone clears immigration and customs and as such COVID checks. I know that as of last year Delta will transfer bags to AreoMexico so no bags to collect. But given we are living in the age of COVID I would like to hedge my travel bets. We can fly through ATL but it would to be a day earlier or later. Not really wanting a day later as it removes a buffer for late arriving baggage. We will have both vaccine and tests results for travel as we will need them for our final destination. It is was during normal times I would not be posing the question, especially cause I can get seats up front for a reasonable amount. But these are not normal times.

Pre Covid and during Covid I have never had a problem transiting MEX. Many on here seem to have horror stories about the long queues but I personally have never ran into this. 2 hours and 10 minutes was the shortest connection I have had and it was plenty of time to get through.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:02 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM

What are your concerns? I saw nothing unusual today--

note, if you're connecting to a domestic flight, you'll have to claim and recheck, though it looks like your final destination is not Mexico.

There is a temperature check otherwise no one has even checked my health form at AICM-- at least, not for those of us coming off First.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I haven't done it during COVID, but I did have an international-to-international transfer from AM to DL through MEX (LIM-ATL was canceled, and the best DL could offer was LIM-MEX-ATL). There was the small hassle of going through immigration, and a heads up that you do have to get your bag at the claim and drop it at the recheck belt, but it honestly wasn't a huge deal. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: DL PM
I agree with above, it is about as hassle free as I can remember. Had a 2 hour layover JFK-MEX-SJD.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kthomas
What are your concerns? I saw nothing unusual today--

note, if you're connecting to a domestic flight, you'll have to claim and recheck, though it looks like your final destination is not Mexico.

There is a temperature check otherwise no one has even checked my health form at AICM-- at least, not for those of us coming off First.
We would have at 3 hour 50 minute layover. I just want to make sure if we transit to another international flight that with immigration/customs/COVID checks that there is enough time. And in our case we would coming from FC.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
I use MEX all the time and 3hr50 is a LOT of time. You'll be fine, especially if you're connecting within Terminal 2. (airlines in T2: Delta, Aeromexico, Copa, Latam, Aeromar). For a T1-T2 connection you have to take a landside train.

MEX changed policy last year and now connecting bags are checked through to the final destination. However, you might want to confirm about your specific bag at the connections desk.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by asar
I use MEX all the time and 3hr50 is a LOT of time. You'll be fine, especially if you're connecting within Terminal 2. (airlines in T2: Delta, Aeromexico, Copa, Latam, Aeromar). For a T1-T2 connection you have to take a landside train.

MEX changed policy last year and now connecting bags are checked through to the final destination. However, you might want to confirm about your specific bag at the connections desk.
Bags are only checked through if within same terminal. (At least was the case begining of last year) ie you must pickup bags if connecting to AF/KL from DL/AM, but not from DL to AM.

When did LATAM move terminals?
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
We would have at 3 hour 50 minute layover. I just want to make sure if we transit to another international flight that with immigration/customs/COVID checks that there is enough time. And in our case we would coming from FC.
I did DFW-ATL-MEX-ZLO this past saturday (and do the reverse this coming Saturday). I had less than 2 hours to transit MEX and I barely made my flight, so you should be fine. My slow down was at immigration, as only two agents were working the non-citizens line. I did not have to pick up and recheck my bag for the Aeromexico flight from MEX-ZLO. ATL-MEX was DL.

It was quite the brisk walk/run through T2 for this fat guy.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Bags are only checked through if within same terminal. (At least was the case beginning of last year) ie you must pickup bags if connecting to AF/KL from DL/AM, but not from DL to AM.
In our case we would be going from DL to AM. So same terminal.

At this point I have swapped our flights around to so to transit through MEX to UIO then GPS.

Thanks all.
kthomas likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by asar

I was also under this impression HOWEVER Not sure if that was a temporary thing or it never was implemented because this past week my girlfriend flying JFK-MEX-UIO all on AM had to collect her luggage for the security check and then it was rechecked. (at JFK they said a rep would great her (she was in J) but that was for the birds and I didn't believe it when they told me that) Remained airside the whole time but was really a pain in the rear. She is 5'0 and had 2 75 lb luggages and 2 carry ons which I helped with at JFK and her brother helped at UIO but on her own at MEX wasn't fun (there were no luggage carts) and with that in mind in the future a word to the wise would to go out of your way to avoid MEX when traveling with a lot of luggage. The late night connections right now at MEX aren't great anyway with extremely limited lounge options after 22:00 for a 1:10 departure.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by theboss7593
I was also under this impression HOWEVER Not sure if that was a temporary thing or it never was implemented because this past week my girlfriend flying JFK-MEX-UIO all on AM had to collect her luggage for the security check and then it was rechecked. (at JFK they said a rep would great her (she was in J) but that was for the birds and I didn't believe it when they told me that) Remained airside the whole time but was really a pain in the rear. She is 5'0 and had 2 75 lb luggages and 2 carry ons which I helped with at JFK and her brother helped at UIO but on her own at MEX wasn't fun (there were no luggage carts) and with that in mind in the future a word to the wise would to go out of your way to avoid MEX when traveling with a lot of luggage. The late night connections right now at MEX aren't great anyway with extremely limited lounge options after 22:00 for a 1:10 departure.
I'm confused. She couldn't have remained airside. This is only possible for domestic to domestic flights.

Also this was implemented. Just flew via MEX three weeks ago. There's signs saying bags will be transferred.

Did she see bags on claim belt and assume she needed to collect? Theres a big sign as you enter baggage hall that clearly states bags will transfer.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm confused. She couldn't have remained airside. This is only possible for domestic to domestic flights.

Also this was implemented. Just flew via MEX three weeks ago. There's signs saying bags will be transferred.

Did she see bags on claim belt and assume she needed to collect? Theres a big sign as you enter baggage hall that clearly states bags will transfer.
I will find out specifics when I see her (but how it was explained to me everyone was required to take their bags off the belt), I might actually be routing thru MEX early next week to join her in UIO but I travel light with one carry on. I'll find out about what the immigration security process was.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:55 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by theboss7593
go out of your way to avoid MEX when traveling with a lot of luggage
Usually, there are random guys with white shirts with an "UNION" logo stitched on them. These guys are from the porters' union. They are not allowed to actively offer their services anymore, but you can ask "żMe ayuda con el equipaje?" and they will materialize a dolly and do all the heavy lifting. Tip is discretionary, I'd say 50 pesos per item (or 5 usd, they expect more if it's in us bills).
Old Aug 15, 2021, 2:14 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Traveling IST-MEX-IAH on 2 different PNR on TK and then UA. Baggage will be tagged all the way to IAH. TK181 seems to be on schedule.
Is a 1 hour 25 minutes transit in MEX doable?

Last edited by flyerby; Aug 15, 2021 at 3:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.