Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 situation and restrictions in CDMX / Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2020, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Arrow Covid-19 situation and restrictions in CDMX / Mexico City

Hey this should probably be mentioned on this thread for ppl traveling in groups larger than 4. Right now restaurants are only allowing tables up to 4 people and it seems this restriction could be around for a while, something to be aware of.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: Miles N More, One World
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
Hey this should probably be mentioned on this thread for ppl traveling in groups larger than 4. Right now restaurants are only allowing tables up to 4 people and it seems this restriction could be around for a while, something to be aware of.
We ate at Contra Mar last week. A group of 4 were sitting at an outside table, a car showed up with 4 more people who I guess were with the other folks. The just sat at a table next to the other 4 and then I guess they knew another group of 4 that were sitting 2 tables down from us ( outside as well ) and before you knew it you had 3 table all set up together. They were all dressed to impress and looked cooler than I could in 10 lifetimes so they could have been celebs.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

^^^^ enforcement is hit or miss but as cases are going up in CDMX restricitons are coming back, for example bars and restaurants were allowed to open till 11pm now its 10pm,
Old Nov 14, 2020, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

More restricitons announced today due to a spike in hospitalizacions.

Starting Monday all bars and clubs that had reopened as restaurants with seating must close for at least 2 weeks.
Many different types of businesses must now close at 7pm including gyms.
More restrictions may be announced if the cases don't go down.

I do not recommend planning a trip to CDMX for next 2 months as i'm not a scientist but it seems when the weather gets colder the cases explode, and CDMX does get a bit chilly in December, so it doesn't bode well. Nobody knows what will happen but more likely then not there will be more restrictions, I don't be suprised if most tourist sites shut down and restaurants become takeout only again.

The beaches I think are a better bet ATM. Ppl also very strict here on masks to the point of ridiculousness, just something to know. In beach towns and tourist area in Mexico enforcement of masks, social distancing, partying etc, is much more lax, makes for a much better vacation.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The beaches I think are a better bet ATM. Ppl also very strict here on masks to the point of ridiculousness, just something to know. In beach towns and tourist area in Mexico enforcement of masks, social distancing, partying etc, is much more lax, makes for a much better vacation.
"A better vacation" so long as you're a passenger in the passenger cabin both ways, and not refrigerated cargo in a box on the return flight.
downinit likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Even more restrictions announced this week in CDMX

*All bars that were "converted to restaurants" (essentially bars doing table service only), must now close for at least the next few weeks
*All non-essential business must close by 7pm with (with many exceptions)
*Restaurants can stay open till 10pm but cannot serve alcohol after 7pm.
*No alcohol sales in stores from Friday to Sunday until further notice.

Also a warning that Mexico City may return to "red light" and further restrictions may be announced. A 2nd lockdown seemed unlikely a few weeks ago but now with cases approaching the same peak as June/July its possible. On the other hand things could turn around, hard to say.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Even more restrictions announced this week in CDMX

*All bars that were "converted to restaurants" (essentially bars doing table service only), must now close for at least the next few weeks
*All non-essential business must close by 7pm with (with many exceptions)
*Restaurants can stay open till 10pm but cannot serve alcohol after 7pm.
*No alcohol sales in stores from Friday to Sunday until further notice.

Also a warning that Mexico City may return to "red light" and further restrictions may be announced. A 2nd lockdown seemed unlikely a few weeks ago but now with cases approaching the same peak as June/July its possible. On the other hand things could turn around, hard to say.
Do they update every two weeks, or just as needed?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Every Monday they make new updates.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 7:32 am

Every Monday they make new updates.
thank you! Is there a site I can check? I have reservations starting 12/23 at a hotel in Mexico City. And if the state turns to red, they of course would not be able to honor the reservation. So we are in limbo at the moment.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

The mayor's twitter is a good place to get the latest updates: https://twitter.com/Claudiashein

p.s. More restrictions announced this week. All non-essential businesses in most districts (including Roma Norte and all downtown), must close by 5pm. This excludes restaurants that must close by 10pm, but cannot serve alcohol after 7pm.

Would not recommend coming right now, it seems another stay-at-home order is coming down the pipe soon.
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Dec 14, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:11 pm

The mayor's twitter is a good place to get the latest updates: https://twitter.com/Claudiashein

p.s. More restrictions announced this week. All non-essential businesses in most districts (including Roma Norte and all downtown), must close by 5pm. This excludes restaurants that must close by 10pm, but cannot serve alcohol after 7pm.

Would not recommend coming right now, it seems another stay-at-home order is coming down the pipe soon.
thank you!
Lufthomie likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Mexico City announces a 3 week lockdown starting today: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-covid-spike
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:03 pm

Mexico City announces a 3 week lockdown starting today: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-covid-spike
it was needed, hope I can visit next year!
Old Dec 23, 2020, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I guess so, i'm generally lockdown-skeptical but with the hospitals at near 100% I guess there hand was forced. Unfortunately unlike the US and Canada it doesn't really look like Mexico is going to get the ball rolling on vaccination in any meaningful way until April or later, so might wanna hold off on any CDMX trip until the summer.
Old Apr 29, 2021, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
What’s the current situation in CDMX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.