Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexican land border closure from USA?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Mexican land border closure from USA?

Hello, I was hoping you might be able to help me with a question. I know the US/Mexico land border closure for non-essential travel has been extended till November 21st. However, I have heard from several travel agents that Mexico has actually never stopped letting in American tourists (or any other passport holder) over the past few months who cross over by foot or car at the San Ysidro/Tijuana border, and that the ban really only affects Mexicans trying to come by land into the USA. Do you have any experience or heard whether this is true? I know the borders are open for flights, but Tijuana is only about 140 miles from me so too close to fly into, but too far to drive to test if I am allowed in. I've tried calling over 10 Mexican consulate numbers in the USA and none of them are answering their phones, and the Immigration dept in Mexico only speaks Spanish and I can't even get past the menu prompts. Americans of course are permitted back in to the US no matter what, so it is just about crossing into Mexico. I was hoping maybe you've heard about other travelers crossing by land this way with no problem? Thank you for any advice or insight you can give. I am not trying to fly further into Mexico so that's why it doesn't may sense to fly. Much appreciated!
Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:22 pm

You can enter Mexico by car if your travel is deemed essential.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 3:51 pm

It should be open for your case, read the Oct 19, 2020, 8:26 PM post here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...alifornia.html

Please report back your experiences if you were able to
Old Oct 20, 2020, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCCL3
I was asking for non-essential (tourism) purposes. Some travel agents are telling me it's no problem, but that does against the official regulations so I wanted to see if anyone has actual experience doing it.

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
It should be open for your case, read the Oct 19, 2020, 8:26 PM post here:

Please report back your experiences if you were able to
Thanks but that post is about using CBX which is the walking bridge that connects directly from the US side to Tijuana Airport and can only be used by those with boarding passes to fly out for that airport.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 21, 2020 at 3:18 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 20, 2020, 10:15 pm

This page, while not official, suggests that you should be fine. Many comments following the article saying the same.

Mexico-US Land Border Restrictions Continue Until at Least November 21st

The Mexico-US land border remains closed to all but "essential crossings" until at least November 21st. This article lists the definitions of essential and non-essential crossings
Mexico has not imposed any legal restrictions on passengers or vehicles entering Mexico by land from the United States; however, we understand that tourists may be turned away and that several towns near the US land border have set-up road blocks to demand ID from people arriving; people are being turned back at these road blocks if they cannot prove they live locally.
At least one comment says that one of these "road blocks" was only temporary:
Now, for the mexican side, for the 4th of July weekend Sonora wanted to act tough and deny entry to non essential travelers (Nogales area). It was just a charade, the inspection port was set up after every non essential traveler went thru and was already inside Mexico. Also, when they actually did set it up, it was like around 11 AM for a couple of days and for a few hours.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Friends just went down this past weekend, via land border, as well as a few times over the past few months. There is really no issue going into Mexico, the worst case scenario you state you needed to go for an essential service, i.e medicine in Mexico, similar to how you previously needed to state a reason to go to Cuba for non-tourism purposes.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 5:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Do be aware Mexicans are concerned about Americans visiting Mexico because their leaders are telling them this is how Covid-19 is getting into Mexico (according to people in México the first influx of Coronavirus into México was by wealthy Mexicans who caught Covid-19 in Aspen, Colorado last winter when there was a large conference attended by Italians infected with Covid-19), and as a result there have been vigilante groups harassing and intimidating Americans driving in the northernmost states, particularly in Sinaloa. It doesn’t sound common, but it has been occurring for several months.

Further, this month has seen some armed robbery and assaults against American visitors driving in northern Mexico.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 21, 2020 at 5:17 pm
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: Miles N More, One World
In late April and early May I walked across the border in Nogales for dental work. Not once was I ever asked why I was going into Mexico and only had my temperature taken once.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Lufthomie
In late April and early May I walked across the border in Nogales for dental work. Not once was I ever asked why I was going into Mexico and only had my temperature taken once.
That would be considered essential travel in either direction. The US has a number of restrictions imposed in those crossing the México-USA land border to the USA, whereas México has not. Nonetheless, some are turned back if they can’t prove residence in Mexico, though much of that is likely not official.

https://www.mexperience.com/mexico-l...sure-covid-19/
Lufthomie likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by YYCCL3

https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/
Well, that's the official version, but in fact, you can enter Mexico by car for any reason at all, even if you are a non-Mexican citizen. They will be happy to issue you an FMM, stamp your passport, and sell you a vehicle import permit if you need one. The border is not closed, at least if you are heading south. And dual citizens obviously can cross northbound too for any reason.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 11:53 am

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
Originally Posted by miguel0881
Well, that's the official version, but in fact, you can enter Mexico by car for any reason at all, even if you are a non-Mexican citizen.
What about on foot crossing from the USA?
Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
What about on foot crossing from the USA?
Yep, same. Aside from some isolated, non-sanctioned local protests, no one will stop you.
mandrivnyk likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:38 am

I have a family member who lives on the border.

Essential according to him means "going to eat dinner", "going shopping", "going to visit friends" Basically any reason works!
Lufthomie likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
According to this website, essential travel includes US citizens returning to USA.

https://www.bajabound.com/travelupda...rderupdate.php
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:21 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Yes, in practical terms and from what I recently saw in Tijuana, US citizens and green card holders are allowed to go into Mexico or back and routinely do it, in the thousands every day.

Non-US citizens are turned away for the Mexico to US crossing, unless they can persuade the officer that the trip is essential.

This is all only for land crossings.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.