Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Booking flights and travel to Mexico later in the year

Old Apr 14, 20, 6:15 am
Original Poster

How are people thinking about booking flights for trips for November and December at this point? Does it make sense to book now to lock in prices as flight prices for holiday weeks seem to be on the rise or hold off due to the uncertainty?
Old Apr 14, 20, 2:19 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
we usually go every Christmas - not even thinking about it right now. I wouldn't be booking any tickets that are not fully refundable. But that is still a dicey proposition because if the airline goes bankrupt you will probably have a difficult time getting that refund....
Old Apr 14, 20, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
We were going to spend this week in Cabo - all 14 of us
Everything got cancelled. We got some money back, some in vouchers and some lost
I am NOT going to make any more reservations for travel until there is a reliable vaccine for Covid19
Perhaps some local vacations (with point and cancel-able hotels); no flight reservations.
SJOGuy likes this.
Old Apr 15, 20, 5:53 am
Original Poster

This confirms my thinking as well.I was all planned to book the flights in early March before all this happened and then I decided I should wait because I assumed prices would go down because demand down. Instead prices went up which surprised me and seats on flights seemed to be filling up but the downside risk seem way too high to book and I thought-am I missing something?

I have till Sept to cancel the resort (booked that in early Jan) with full refund so my plan is to reassess in a few months.

Thanks,
Old Apr 19, 20, 9:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Personally, I think it’s too early to book for Q4 of this year, just as it would be in more normal times. The problem includes whether demand will increase because of airline failures. Interjet has been reducing benefits and acting like an airline in trouble since their Sukhoi Superjet fiasco. Will airlines serving the market step up to fill the demand?
Old May 3, 20, 7:38 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
In very early March I'd booked a short solo trip to Cancun with UA and a stay at Hyatt Zilara for mid June. While Hyatt announced the closure of their properties until July 1st and UA will give full refunds with no change fees, I decided to keep my air reservation and changed my booking to the Westin Resort. As both can be cancelled at a moments (or 24 hr notice in the case of Westin), I've decided to keep my plans in tact for the time being. My only concern has to do with any possible quarantine restrictions in Mexico. I've not seen any announced and I was only expecting to be there 2 nights, so not looking forward to a mandatory extension. I was planning on only staying on the Resorts grounds and will bring the necessary face masks and sanitizers with me. While many may fault my decision, Marriott and United will be open and operating and as it is only myself traveling (and yes, I can self isolate on my return), so at this time I'm still going.
Old May 3, 20, 4:06 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Best wishes on a safe and relaxing trip. I rescheduled my trip to Chiapas to November, and I am scheduled to go to Campeche in January. I'm hoping there is at least a semblance of normalcy by then, even if I have to wear a mask.
Old May 6, 20, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold
In early January, we booked our annual family Thanksgiving in Tulum, which also includes our daughter coming over from the UK. AM is supposed to resume LHR flights next month. Nothing to do but wait it out and see. I could always get there by boat from here if I have to.
Old May 10, 20, 4:38 pm

I've been going back and forth on this. On one hand, the activities I read about and wanted to try are something worth looking forward to, especially considering recent events. On another, the future just seems so unpredictable, market, trips, lockdowns/quarantine etc. that maybe it's a reason to stay put. Maybe I'll revisit the idea every month or so and monitor announcements too.
Old May 16, 20, 8:04 pm

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
I have 6 weeks booked in San Pancho, Nayarit for Jan 2021, booked in early March, before things really went crazy. I am holding off on buying flights though. At this point I would have no medical travel insurance to cover me for covid 19, and that seems like a bad plan for travel to Mexico.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: