Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The land border between Mexico and the USA has been closed for land crossings into the USA. That means non-essential travel is not allowed into the USA across the land border. Exceptions exist for medical appointments, students going to school or back, persons employed in essential services on the other side of the border, etc.

NOTE: US Citizens and legal residents can not be denied entry into the USA, though there may be requirements for Covid-19 testing. Visitors attempting to cross the land border from Mexico are banned at this writing. Air travel is not affected at this time, other than the requirement for Covid-19 negative test result within three days (not 72 hours) of arrival, or proof of having had Covid-19 recently. Many hotels easily arrange for these, and there is a growing number of vendors including mobile testing that will come to your location.

Arriving and departing passengers are increasingly required to fill out an online form accessible here. Once the form is filled out (the date is fixed, so it can’t be backdated or filled out in advance, a form with a QR code and case number will be presented. This must be presented to health authorities upon arrival at airports and a new one on departure. It is suggested 1) you do this prior to airport arrival if you have no cellular service in México if you can, because passengers are reporting WiFi instability and slowness at airports, e.g. onboard if you have WiFi or on the ground prior to departure, or in your hotel prior to going to the airport, and 2) making a screen shot you can present.

Mexico operates on an “epidemic semaphore” system, which governs what is open, hours, occupancy, etc. which can be seen here (Castilian Spanish): https://coronavirus.gob.mx/semaforo/

html

Example of “epidemic semaphore” system for April 26 - May 9, 2021.

Link to US Embassy and Consulates in Mexico (US Department of State).

Link to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requirements for people arriving to the USA.

Some Mexican citizens formed a citizens vigilante group taking action to interfere with American traffic crossing into the state of Sonora; these appear to not be active in 2021.

link go State Department Global Level 4 Health Advisory (Do not travel to...)

link to COVID-19 Information for U.S. Citizens in Mexico, US Embassies & Consulates in Mexico

link to Status of U.S. Consular Operations in Mexico in Light of COVID-19

link to Mexico News Daily

Link to archive of 2020 thread and posts

Print Wikipost

Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation Mexico 2021 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

SEE Wikipost and last posts for up to date information. Feel free to add posts, or to modify the Wikipost with updates.

NOTE: USA-México land border is closed to non-essential travelers traveling to the USA.

March 23, 2020 US Embassy and Consulates in MexicoCountry-Specific Information:
  • Mexico confirmed 316 positive cases of COVID-19 within its borders as of March 22. Authorities continue to investigate additional suspected cases. The Mexican Ministry of Health (Spanish)publishes daily updates on the number of cases.
  • The Mexican government’s COVID-19 planning and preparation is based on three scenarios:
  1. Scenario One: COVID-19 cases are travel related (travel from abroad).
  2. Scenario Two: Community-based transmission of COVID-19 begins and case numbers are in the hundreds.
  3. Scenario Three: COVID-19 transmission becomes widespread; case numbers are in the thousands.
  • The Mexican government assesses Mexico is currently in Scenario One but transitioning into Scenario Two; they expect to enter Scenario Two by the end of March or earlier.
  • CONSULAR OPERATIONS: Please see the latest information about the status of consular operations including routine appointments and emergency services.
  • For more information on border operations and possible travel disruptions, please see our message to U.S. citizens.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
  • There are no entry or exit restrictions in place because of COVID-19.
  • Mexico has implemented temperature-screening measures at some of its airports. Passengers with abnormal temperatures and travel to high-risk areas might be subject to additional health screening.
  • Beyond standard travel documentation, travelers to Mexico do not require any additional documentation to enter or exit.
Schools, Business, Transportation, and Government Closures
  • The Mexican Ministry of Education has closed all schools from March 20 until April 20.
  • Between March 23 and April 19, the Mexican government has declared a social-distancing campaign consisting of four pillars.
  1. Take basic preventative measures: wash your hands, avoid handshakes and kisses, and stay home if you are sick.
  2. Suspend non-essential public-sector, private-sector, and social activities. Employees who can telework should do so. Public transit will remain operational.
  3. Organizers of large events with more than 5,000 attendees will reschedule or postpone them.
  4. Protect the elderly and vulnerable.
Quarantine and Healthcare Information:
  • There are no mandatory quarantine policies currently in effect in Mexico for confirmed or suspected cases. The Mexican government encourages people experiencing the symptoms of COVID-19, fever, cough, headaches, throat pain, or constant sneezing, to stay at home for 14 days, consult with, and comply with the instructions of your local healthcare provider.
  • The Mexican government recommends individuals not self-present to seek testing for COVID-19. Those with severe symptoms should seek medical attention and medical professionals will test, if needed based on travel history, contact with a known case, and the individual’s risk group. Medical professionals will prescribe actions as necessary; including medication to manage symptoms as no specific therapeutics or vaccine exist for COVID-19.
  • Travelers who return from a country with local transmission of COVID-19 and develop symptoms of respiratory illness should seek immediate medical attention and share their travel history.
  • The same applies to individuals who were in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 and present symptoms of respiratory illness.
Local Resources:
  • Health advice for travelers seeking information is available at ports of entry.
  • Call the Mexican Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 hotline at 800 0044 800 for information or medical attention. English language operators are sometimes, but not always, available.
Other links:Assistance:By U.S. Mission to Mexico | 23 March, 2020 | Topics: Alert, Emergency Services, News, Security & Emergency Messages, U.S. & Mexico | Tags: COVID-19, Mexico

airport Covid-19 PCR and antigen testing are available as follows, as of July 2021, according to Viva Aerobus and Volaris. Mobile testing to your home, apartment, etc. is available in Mexico City. Prices in MXN / Pesos.

dakogan likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 15, 2021 at 11:29 pm Reason: Update
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Do you need a negative test to board a domestic flight in Mexico? Is there any certification requirement prior to flying?

More specifically I am wondering if it is feasible to fly to TIJ in the event you have a positive test and can't fly back to the US. I don't want the family to be stuck in Mexico for 2 weeks so it would seem one alternative would be to fly to TIJ and cross the land border to San Diego. My understanding is that US citizens are permitted to return to the USA by land as "essential travelers"

I have not seen anything from the Mexican government about travel restrictions except that temperature checks may be required at some airports. Of course there are ethical issues...and also false positives
Old Feb 5, 2021, 12:21 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Any one have any experience of tests in Mexico City, specifically at the airport?
I have to return to the UK at the end of February having flown in the night before, so I need a same day result if its available.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Markie
Any one have any experience of tests in Mexico City, specifically at the airport?
I have to return to the UK at the end of February having flown in the night before, so I need a same day result if its available.
No personal experience, but perhaps this post would be helpful?
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
[translated from Spanish]
The laboratory is located between gates 3 and 4 of Terminal 1. In the coming days, more laboratories that have Cofepris certifications will be installed to carry out ...to perform the test and detect Covid-19.

In the installed service, the Antigen test has a cost of 680 pesos and the result is delivered in 15 minutes. The PCR test costs 2,500 and is ready in 24 hours. It is worth mentioning that the prices will be determined by each laboratory located in the AICM.
Markie and tstauck like this.

Last edited by Rare; Feb 5, 2021 at 5:16 pm Reason: fix url
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Returning to USA via CBX bridge at TIJ airport.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
More specifically I am wondering if it is feasible to fly to TIJ in the event you have a positive test and can't fly back to the US. I don't want the family to be stuck in Mexico for 2 weeks so it would seem one alternative would be to fly to TIJ and cross the land border to San Diego. My understanding is that US citizens are permitted to return to the USA by land as "essential travelers"

...Of course there are ethical issues...
Putting aside the ethical issues, there is a comment about this in a recent Google Maps review of CBX, which is a direct over-the-border land crossing bridge between USA and the air side of TIJ airport. The comment is that US Customs and Border officials do not require COVID test results from Americans flying into TIJ and using the direct crossing (toll fee is $30). Even aside from COVID issues, CBX is much easier than taking a Mexican taxi to the San Ysidro border crossing and dealing with that mess. I think you can call Uber or Lyft when you arrive at the US side of the CBX crossing.

Using CBX to go from US to the airport requires an airline boarding pass for same-day travel departing TIJ, and the normal documents for entering Mexico. In the MEX-USA direction, the CBX crossing can only be entered from TIJ air side. (Do not exit baggage out to the street!)

I will be returning to the US in mid-March flying Quito-MEX-TIJ, and would like to verify Covid testing requirements (if any) for flying Quito-MEX, and then walking the CBX bridge from TIJ. (FYI, I've had my 2nd Covid vaccine already.)
Boraxo and tstauck like this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Feb 13, 2021 at 11:25 pm
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
FYI: Covid-19 vaccination began in parts of Mexico on or about 17 February 2021.
Boraxo and cmx like this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Yes, you could. It just requires more effort to reach your final destination since you would need to time everything right with the crossing the border at CBX, taking Uber/Lyft and arriving at SAN in time for your outgoing flight. I would budget an additional $64 for a family of four to use CBX to return to United States and $40 for the ride to SAN. Make sure you have your permits to show or surrender because the National Institute of Migration occasionally has somebody checking outbound passengers before they collect their luggage from the carousel at TIJ.

In this case you would have to cancel your returning leg back to the United States, create a new flight from SAN (or wait till you reach SAN), get a one-way ticket to TIJ, cross the border at CBX, take Uber/Lyft to SAN. Depending where you go after you exit CBX you can pick up a car rental at CBX with a one-way trip or take the Pacific Surfliner from Santa Fe to Union (or somewhere in between).

Lines aren't an issue when returning to the USA with CBX since only airside passengers can access the CBP checkpoint. Much better than using San Ysidro or Otay because you will be taking a taxi/Uber, dragging your luggage around, and waiting in line to return to the USA along with the commuter traffic.

Once you are in the USA, you can use San Diego as jump point to get back home.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Feb 25, 2021 at 8:12 pm
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by i0wnj00
Yes, you could. It just requires more effort to reach your final destination since you would need to time everything right with the crossing the border at CBX, taking Uber/Lyft and arriving at SAN in time for your outgoing flight. I would budget an additional $64 for a family of four to use CBX to return to United States and $40 for the ride to SAN. Make sure you have your permits to show or surrender because the National Institute of Migration occasionally has somebody checking outbound passengers before they collect their luggage from the carousel at TIJ.

In this case you would have to cancel your returning leg back to the United States, create a new flight from SAN (or wait till you reach SAN), get a one-way ticket to TIJ, cross the border at CBX, take Uber/Lyft to SAN. Depending where you go after you exit CBX you can pick up a car rental at CBX with a one-way trip or take the Pacific Surfliner from Santa Fe to Union (or somewhere in between).

Lines aren't an issue when returning to the USA with CBX since only airside passengers can access the CBP checkpoint. Much better than using San Ysidro or Otay because you will be taking a taxi/Uber, dragging your luggage around, and waiting in line to return to the USA along with the commuter traffic.

Once you are in the USA, you can use San Diego as jump point to get back home.
It costs only $40 for an Uber from San Diego to Tijuana?
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Do you need a negative test to board a domestic flight in Mexico? Is there any certification requirement prior to flying?

I have not seen anything from the Mexican government about travel restrictions except that temperature checks may be required at some airports. Of course there are ethical issues...and also false positives
You sound bogus af. Seriously it's people like you who muck it up for the rest of us who travel to Mexico for work, medical or a decent holiday and do so on the up and up and not sneaking around trying to game the system. The mods need to delete your post.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Markie
I flew into Mexico City Feb 7. There is a testing facility on the upper level outside of Term 2. Its kind of hidden. Don't be afraid to ask a police officer or other worker for exact location. I asked a police officer and she was kind enough to walk me to the testing site. The whole process took about 30-45 mins. There were people ahead of me and I think since it was just after 8pm when I got to the testing site the number of workers had shrunk. But over all it was a super easy process with staff being friendly and efficient.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
It costs only $40 for an Uber from San Diego to Tijuana?
It was from CBX to San Diego, but I usually drop my car in the area because of the costs of parking at CBX.I could park at TIJ but I don't know how much it costs at the airport. Usually $32-$36 with Lyft and tip, but I like to round up to be safe. If I go from San Diego to Tijuana, then I take the trolley right up to the border and walk into Mexico and Uber it.

Originally Posted by sassybritches
You sound bogus af. Seriously it's people like you who muck it up for the rest of us who travel to Mexico for work, medical or a decent holiday and do so on the up and up and not sneaking around trying to game the system. The mods need to delete your post.
Not much different from what I can do. I could fly round trip from LAX to anywhere in Mexico but I don't need to do.
I never used LAX, pre-pandemic for any flight to/from Mexico...I just fly out/in out of TIJ and cross the border. It's not going to be any different during the pandemic if I choose to visit the interior of Mexico.

I would do what the poster wanted to do if I felt compelled to return to the US to get treatment or resources to deal with covid 19. Mexico isn't going to help me at all and travel insurance might not even cover me for covid 19 related issues.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Feb 25, 2021 at 10:02 pm
Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by i0wnj00
It was from CBX to San Diego, but I usually drop my car in the area because of the costs of parking at CBX.I could park at TIJ but I don't know how much it costs at the airport. Usually $32-$36 with Lyft and tip, but I like to round up to be safe. If I go from San Diego to Tijuana, then I take the trolley right up to the border and walk into Mexico and Uber it.
nice.. how is the customs check at the border entering Mexico? I've been 'harassed' 3 out of the 5 times I've flown into Mexico with their stupid "green button" "red button" system. I carry a lot of electronics and nutritional supplements with me on trips to Mexico and always afraid they're going to try to charge "taxes" for bringing "too much" (it's not too much in my opinion.. just I usually take long trips in Mexico). Thanks for any insight. If I can avoid the customs non-sense on the Mexican side I'd rather just Uber it across the border.
sassybritches likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 10:12 am

It looks like the online form has been replaced by an App (which I cannot find in the App Store) and a new web site.
You can only fill it 12 hours before arrival now - https://www.vuelaseguro.com/auth/login
Old Feb 28, 2021, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
And the web link doesn’t work.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 1:01 pm

So, I arrived at MEX today. On the plane the crew only gave out the standard immigration forms. There was no need to present anything apart from this (and passport) at Immigration. I guess they know the app isn't really doing it - at least on the inbound.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.