Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 2, 20, 12:02 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The land border between Mexico and the USA is closed for thirty days as of Saturday 31 March 2029, though it could be extended after that.

That means non-essential travel is not allowed into Mexico or the USA. Exceptions exist for medical appointments, students going to school or back, persons employed in essential services o the other side of the border, etc. Air travel is not affected at this time.

Link to US Embassy and Consulates in Mexico (US Department of State).

Link to San Diego Tribune article

Link to BBC article (Spanish language)

Some Mexican citizens have formed a citizens vigilante group taking action to interfere with American traffic crossing into the state of Sonora.

Air travel is unaffected at this time, but people returning to the USA detected with symptoms will likely have to quarantine.

link go State Department Global Level 4 Health Advisory (Do not travel)

link to COVID-19 Information for U.S. Citizens in Mexico, US Embassies & Consulates in Mexico

link to Status of U.S. Consular Operations in Mexico in Light of COVID-19

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 13, 20, 9:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exclamation Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

NOTE: USA-México land border is closed to non-essential,travelers.

March 23, 2020 US Embassy and Consulates in MexicoCountry-Specific Information:
  • Mexico confirmed 316 positive cases of COVID-19 within its borders as of March 22. Authorities continue to investigate additional suspected cases. The Mexican Ministry of Health (Spanish)publishes daily updates on the number of cases.
  • The Mexican government’s COVID-19 planning and preparation is based on three scenarios:
  1. Scenario One: COVID-19 cases are travel related (travel from abroad).
  2. Scenario Two: Community-based transmission of COVID-19 begins and case numbers are in the hundreds.
  3. Scenario Three: COVID-19 transmission becomes widespread; case numbers are in the thousands.
  • The Mexican government assesses Mexico is currently in Scenario One but transitioning into Scenario Two; they expect to enter Scenario Two by the end of March or earlier.
  • CONSULAR OPERATIONS: Please see the latest information about the status of consular operations including routine appointments and emergency services.
  • For more information on border operations and possible travel disruptions, please see our message to U.S. citizens.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
  • There are no entry or exit restrictions in place because of COVID-19.
  • Mexico has implemented temperature-screening measures at some of its airports. Passengers with abnormal temperatures and travel to high-risk areas might be subject to additional health screening.
  • Beyond standard travel documentation, travelers to Mexico do not require any additional documentation to enter or exit.
Schools, Business, Transportation, and Government Closures
  • The Mexican Ministry of Education has closed all schools from March 20 until April 20.
  • Between March 23 and April 19, the Mexican government has declared a social-distancing campaign consisting of four pillars.
  1. Take basic preventative measures: wash your hands, avoid handshakes and kisses, and stay home if you are sick.
  2. Suspend non-essential public-sector, private-sector, and social activities. Employees who can telework should do so. Public transit will remain operational.
  3. Organizers of large events with more than 5,000 attendees will reschedule or postpone them.
  4. Protect the elderly and vulnerable.
Quarantine and Healthcare Information:
  • There are no mandatory quarantine policies currently in effect in Mexico for confirmed or suspected cases. The Mexican government encourages people experiencing the symptoms of COVID-19, fever, cough, headaches, throat pain, or constant sneezing, to stay at home for 14 days, consult with, and comply with the instructions of your local healthcare provider.
  • The Mexican government recommends individuals not self-present to seek testing for COVID-19. Those with severe symptoms should seek medical attention and medical professionals will test, if needed based on travel history, contact with a known case, and the individual’s risk group. Medical professionals will prescribe actions as necessary; including medication to manage symptoms as no specific therapeutics or vaccine exist for COVID-19.
  • Travelers who return from a country with local transmission of COVID-19 and develop symptoms of respiratory illness should seek immediate medical attention and share their travel history.
  • The same applies to individuals who were in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 and present symptoms of respiratory illness.
Local Resources:
  • Health advice for travelers seeking information is available at ports of entry.
  • Call the Mexican Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 hotline at 800 0044 800 for information or medical attention. English language operators are sometimes, but not always, available.
Other links:Assistance:By U.S. Mission to Mexico | 23 March, 2020 | Topics: Alert, Emergency Services, News, Security & Emergency Messages, U.S. & Mexico | Tags: COVID-19, Mexico

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 23, 20 at 2:15 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 15, 20, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Most reports are Mexicans are not practicing social distancing. Festivals, weddings, social events, etc. are still going on. People are frequently misinformed and are resorting to quackery to protect themselves, e.g. washing eyes, rinsing mouth and gargling with colloidal silver four times a day. Tests for the novel Coronavirus are not available at all, in most cases. Some doctors have claimed there’s no such thing as a Covid-19, it’s a conspiracy theory or disinformation propaganda by or against the deeply controversial president “AMLO”. Sanitation at higher levels is not widely practiced. Awareness is at the level where the most recent Covid-19 awareness document published for public information by Mexico’s National health ministry dates to January.

There is evidence of Covid-19 in Mexico, but it’s hazy because of the lack of awareness and testing. An example would be Mexicans who infected several people upon their return from Italy; one Canadian was infected and in turn infected several people when they returned home to Canada.

According to Reuters, Mexico has confirmed 26 cases of the coronavirus so far, with no reports of deaths.

However, Reuters goes on to report that the low number of cases in Mexico, which has a population of 130 million, “has raised questions about the government’s relatively hands-off approach to the epidemic.” 14 Mar 2020
Ironically, the Mexican government is considering implementing a ban on people entering Mexico from the USA.

On Friday, Mexico’s Deputy Health Minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell told reporters that the spread of the coronavirus coming from the U.S. is a concern and could result in action taken at the northern border to remedy it. - Rolling Stone, 14 Mar 2020

Personally, I can not at all recommend travel to México at the moment.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 15, 20 at 11:18 am Reason: Update
Old Mar 15, 20, 1:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
I wrote a similar post yesterday and posted it here but deleted it this morning. Things are changing by the hour. My reference is San Miguel de Allende where we have a home. Up until a few days ago I was considered an alarmist to my friends in SMA as events were not canceled and it was business as usual. In the last 36 hours things have changed dramatically in the gringo population with cancellation of nearly all cultural events and gathering. The Mexicans were a bit slow to embrace the seriousness of all this...but as of last night all schools are closed effective Mar 20-Apr 20 and all government sponsored events canceled immediately. Part of my post yesterday was an encounter that a gringa had with a Mexican DR in town. She and her guests were sick and presented all the signs of a virus. Two of her guests had just returned from Italy. They summoned a DR who came to the house w/o any protection and proceeded to tell them the virus was a hoax.....he left after she kicked him. God help his next patient. Meanwhile her two guests returned to Canada and were tested for the virus ( waiting for results now).

I agree DO NOT travel to Mexico now. All my friends who have homes both in the States and in San Miguel are coming back to the States immediately.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david55 View Post
I wrote a similar post yesterday and posted it here but deleted it this morning. Things are changing by the hour. My reference is San Miguel de Allende where we have a home. Up until a few days ago I was considered an alarmist to my friends in SMA as events were not canceled and it was business as usual. In the last 36 hours things have changed dramatically in the gringo population with cancellation of nearly all cultural events and gathering. The Mexicans were a bit slow to embrace the seriousness of all this...but as of last night all schools are closed effective Mar 20-Apr 20 and all government sponsored events canceled immediately. Part of my post yesterday was an encounter that a gringa had with a Mexican DR in town. She and her guests were sick and presented all the signs of a virus. Two of her guests had just returned from Italy. They summoned a DR who came to the house w/o any protection and proceeded to tell them the virus was a hoax.....he left after she kicked him. God help his next patient. Meanwhile her two guests returned to Canada and were tested for the virus ( waiting for results now).

I agree DO NOT travel to Mexico now. All my friends who have homes both in the States and in San Miguel are coming back to the States immediately.
i have to agree. My sister, relatives, friends are confused and concerned. Some are trying to do the right thing, but there’s little guidance, and others are doing what they might thing is right. That can mean huddling with extended family, the grandchildren and children coming to visit the grandparents, going to Mass today, etc.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 16, 20, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

It’s worse than I imagined. A friend from childhood who lives in CdMx says

Wonderful news, while in Mexico public hospitals have no idea of Coronavirus protocol and are placing those infected next to patients who are there for other ailments. 😳
ijkh likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 10:54 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
I am in close contact with people in Acapulco - which just had its first reported case. And other parts of Guerrero. Some of my friends have taken precautions and are preparing for staying at home. Many however have not grasped the potential seriousness of the situation. I did hear that the Catholic church is suspending masses, and will not do baptisms, quinceneras or other events at this time, and are trying to communicate the message of social distancing.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 18, 20, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by RFNJ View Post
I am in close contact with people in Acapulco - which just had its first reported case. And other parts of Guerrero. Some of my friends have taken precautions and are preparing for staying at home. Many however have not grasped the potential seriousness of the situation. I did hear that the Catholic church is suspending masses, and will not do baptisms, quinceneras or other events at this time, and are trying to communicate the message of social distancing.
Unfortunately, Mexico is setting itself up to make Italy seem like a mere blip on the infectious disease screen.
Old Mar 21, 20, 11:19 am

An interesting thing - the catholic church is trying to do what they can. I can only speak for Guerrero, but they circulated an announcement with information, and are not doing public events like masses or baptisms and are trying to instruct their followers to follow good hygiene routines like hand washing.

Acapulco is in a bit of a panic, and the government is doing poorly on a local level. The mayor said everything no essential is closed, and dont go to the beach, then walked it back to say it was only a suggestion. Then all the vendors marched and closed down the costera. The supermarkets are suffering from the same panic buying as we are seeing in the US. I am concerned as Mexico does not have the same resources as the US to help its citizens, and even less now that the Saudis and Russians have cratered the price of oil. So there is going to be serious consequences in the country.
Old Mar 21, 20, 1:13 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I have a short vacation planned in Chiapas for next week. I am scheduled to fly OKC-DFW-MEX-TGZ on AA and Interjet on 3/24 and return on 3/28. My entire Ticket is AA stock with codeshare flights to TGZ. I plan on staying in San Cristobal de las Casas. I know I probably should not go, but I am having trouble getting specifics on the new non-essential travel restrictions being put in place between the USA and Mexico. Is this only at actual border crossings, or is it being enforced at airports also? Would Mexico even allow me entry at MEX airport?
Old Mar 21, 20, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon View Post
I have a short vacation planned in Chiapas for next week. I am scheduled to fly OKC-DFW-MEX-TGZ on AA and Interjet on 3/24 and return on 3/28. My entire Ticket is AA stock with codeshare flights to TGZ. I plan on staying in San Cristobal de las Casas. I know I probably should not go, but I am having trouble getting specifics on the new non-essential travel restrictions being put in place between the USA and Mexico. Is this only at actual border crossings, or is it being enforced at airports also? Would Mexico even allow me entry at MEX airport?
I hope this is a joke.
Old Mar 21, 20, 3:16 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon View Post
The newly announced restrictions are for non-essential travel across land border crossings and for ferry and passenger rail.

Passenger travel by air is still permitted. https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-insp...2020-06253.pdf

You know you should not go. Your "short" vacation might turn out to be 2 weeks of quarantine upon arrival in Mexico followed by two weeks of quarantine upon arrival back in the US.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 4:47 pm

Can't speak for AA/Interjet, but Aeromexico is making massive cancellations and reductions in future service until mid/late april, both in International and Domestic routes. If you go, be absolutely be prepared to be stuck there, potentially until this blows over in Mexico - which will be an easy 2-3 weeks past the US timeline, which is at this point, still undetermined.
The current reductions/cancellations are "first steps" - there is nothing preventing more drastic "no-one in or out" scenarios in the next two weeks as governments scramble to control this issue. I am not trying to be alarmist. I am simply seeing 1/3 of the US population already under shelter in place/voluntary restriction - as a FIRST step. I would strongly advise unless there is great need to be somewhere else, you wait this out at home.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Mar 21, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Thank you for this smart advice. I made the decision to cancel my ticket and use the credit to re-book for a trip to Campeche in January. The AA agent was so nice and helpful. Best wishes to everyone in these crazy times. Despite my heartbreak, I feel good about making the right decision....and making sure I don't get caught up in what could be a massive humanitarian situation in Mexico.
Old Mar 21, 20, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BA silver, Crystal Society Double Diamond
Today at PVR. So glad we left Tuesday. Yikes.
Old Mar 22, 20, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by ijkh View Post
Today at PVR. So glad we left Tuesday. Yikes.
Are you saying there were that many tourists still in PV flying home? What are they thinking? ( Or not)
ijkh likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: