Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 5, 20, 3:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The land border between Mexico and the USA is closed for thirty days as of Saturday 31 March 2020; it has been be extended since.

That means non-essential travel is not allowed into Mexico or the USA across the land border. Exceptions exist for medical appointments, students going to school or back, persons employed in essential services o the other side of the border, etc. Air travel is not affected at this time.

Arriving and departing passengers are increasingly required to fill out an online form accessible here. Once the form is filled out (the date is fixed, so it can’t be backdated or filled out in advance, a form with a QR code and case number will be presented. This must be presented to health authorities upon arrival at airports and a new one on departure. It is suggested 1) you do this prior to airport arrival if you have no cellular service in México if you can, because passengers are reporting WiFi instability and slowness at airports, e.g. onboard if you have WiFi or on the ground prior to departure, or in your hotel prior to going to the airport, and 2) making a screen shot you can present.

Link to US Embassy and Consulates in Mexico (US Department of State).

Link to San Diego Tribune article

Link to BBC article (Spanish language)

Some Mexican citizens have formed a citizens vigilante group taking action to interfere with American traffic crossing into the state of Sonora.

Air travel is unaffected at this time, but people returning to the USA detected with symptoms will likely have to quarantine.

link go State Department Global Level 4 Health Advisory (Do not travel)

link to COVID-19 Information for U.S. Citizens in Mexico, US Embassies & Consulates in Mexico

link to Status of U.S. Consular Operations in Mexico in Light of COVID-19

link to Mexico News Daily

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 9, 20, 2:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum Ultimate / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
I think your assumption is correct and I would answer it using that approach.
I always wonder whether or not I should be transparent in these tricky questions...and what do they mean by "recently"

For ex, I live in France and I will fly to MEX in 10 days for business trip. I was in Sao Paulo last week.
Should I specify I was in Brazil last week and if yes, what might happen ? If I do not, how can they notice it ?
Old Sep 9, 20, 2:55 am

Programs: FB Platinum Ultimate / ALL Diamond / Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by matmatlr View Post
I always wonder whether or not I should be transparent in these tricky questions...and what do they mean by "recently"

For ex, I live in France and I will fly to MEX in 10 days for business trip. I was in Sao Paulo last week.
Should I specify I was in Brazil last week and if yes, what might happen ? If I do not, how can they notice it ?
I will answer myself as I went to check the form
"Recently" means 14 days so in my case, it will be 15 days so I will be OK

But I am still wondering what might be the consequence to list Brazil for ex...
Old Sep 9, 20, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by matmatlr View Post
I will answer myself as I went to check the form
"Recently" means 14 days so in my case, it will be 15 days so I will be OK

But I am still wondering what might be the consequence to list Brazil for ex...
Well I landed in cancun yesterday it doesnt seem like the health form or any anything other than your passport and immigration form is required on arrival. There were no signs nobody mentioned it and it was never asked for. Maybe I'll need to fill out for departure but they definitely do not ask for it in cancun.
JBord likes this.

Last edited by parrotheadmjb; Sep 9, 20 at 7:43 am
Old Sep 10, 20, 3:29 am

I'm considering visiting Mexico in the end of October together with one of my kids. Since I've never visited before, I really would like to see some nice archaeological sites, eat some good food, and go to the beach. The two main options I'm thinking about is either a combination of Mexico City and Cancun, or to rent a car in Mexico City and drive to Acapulco and back.

As far as I've understood, most archaeological sites are closed right now. But what are the prospects of them opening within the next 6-7 weeks? I'm talking about sites in the vicinity of Cancun, or sites between Mexico City and Acapulco, such as Tepozteco and Xochicalco.

And what would daily life be like in Cancun or Acapulco? E.g. are there requirements to wear face masks on the beach and in public?

I live in Sweden, so I'm quite spoiled when it comes to the freedom that we've enjoyed during the pandemic. Most residents of Sweden never wear a face mask anywhere at all.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 8:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by RedChili View Post
I'm considering visiting Mexico in the end of October together with one of my kids. Since I've never visited before, I really would like to see some nice archaeological sites, eat some good food, and go to the beach. The two main options I'm thinking about is either a combination of Mexico City and Cancun, or to rent a car in Mexico City and drive to Acapulco and back.

As far as I've understood, most archaeological sites are closed right now. But what are the prospects of them opening within the next 6-7 weeks? I'm talking about sites in the vicinity of Cancun, or sites between Mexico City and Acapulco, such as Tepozteco and Xochicalco.

And what would daily life be like in Cancun or Acapulco? E.g. are there requirements to wear face masks on the beach and in public?

I live in Sweden, so I'm quite spoiled when it comes to the freedom that we've enjoyed during the pandemic. Most residents of Sweden never wear a face mask anywhere at all.
The archaeological zones may or may not be closed; its unpredictable. Visiting Tepotzlan is recommended, and the trail to Tepozteco is not, AFAIK, controlled by anyone. The actual site is, but the views of the valley are spectacular. It’s an easy day venture from Mexico City / CDMX.

Frankly, I’d avoid Acapulco and visit Cancún (or nearby Isla Mujeres or the Costa Maya). The state of Guerrero is a bit on the unstable side, and there have been numerous heath issues over the decades in Acapulco, from untreated sewerage discharged into the ocean to the authorities deliberately obfuscating health and safety issues.
Old Sep 11, 20, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold
https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/ar...r-14/2020.html

Archaeological zones of Tulum, Cobá, San Gervasio and Muyil reopen September 14

By Riviera Maya News on September 10, 2020Tulum, Q.R. — Four of the state’s archaeological zones are set to reopen. The announcement came from the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) who reports that on September 14, the archaeological zones of Tulum, Cobá, San Gervasio and Muyil will again be open to the public.
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The archaeological zones may or may not be closed; its unpredictable. Visiting Tepotzlan is recommended, and the trail to Tepozteco is not, AFAIK, controlled by anyone. The actual site is, but the views of the valley are spectacular. It’s an easy day venture from Mexico City / CDMX.

Frankly, I’d avoid Acapulco and visit Cancún (or nearby Isla Mujeres or the Costa Maya). The state of Guerrero is a bit on the unstable side, and there have been numerous heath issues over the decades in Acapulco, from untreated sewerage discharged into the ocean to the authorities deliberately obfuscating health and safety issues.
Thank you very much for your advice!
Old Sep 15, 20, 12:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cayohueso View Post
https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/ar...r-14/2020.html

Archaeological zones of Tulum, Cobá, San Gervasio and Muyil reopen September 14

By Riviera Maya News on September 10, 2020Tulum, Q.R. — Four of the state’s archaeological zones are set to reopen. The announcement came from the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) who reports that on September 14, the archaeological zones of Tulum, Cobá, San Gervasio and Muyil will again be open to the public.
Teotihuacan out of CDMX reopened Thursday the 10th if September as well, but with limited capacity, distancing and mask requirements. It appears Mexico is bent on reopening visitor attractions before the tourism doldrums (~November through 15 December).
Old Sep 16, 20, 5:37 pm

Apologies if this has been answered already, but are there are any resources to find out how many COVID cases NOW are in a specific area of Mexico? I'm debating booking a trip to Puerto Escondido region and/or San Jose del Cabo this winter and would love to know what it's like on-the-ground there now. Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 20, 7:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by NYCRachel View Post
Apologies if this has been answered already, but are there are any resources to find out how many COVID cases NOW are in a specific area of Mexico? I'm debating booking a trip to Puerto Escondido region and/or San Jose del Cabo this winter and would love to know what it's like on-the-ground there now. Thanks!
Have a look at this link for the current situation:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html

Of course this may bear no relation to the situation come the winter time.

<redacted reply to previously deleted post content>
SJOGuy, abaheti and NYCRachel like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 19, 20 at 9:49 am Reason: redacted reply to previously deleted post content
Old Sep 16, 20, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Have a look at this link for the current situation:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html

Of course this may bear no relation to the situation come the winter time.

That seems like an ignorant response to a perfectly reasonable request for information.
Thanks! I actually saw that link, but wanted to get a more granular. I had initially tried this site, but it was timing out with data, which is when I decided to post here: https://coronavirus.gob.mx/datos/

Turns out it is no longer timing out and now works! Great resource.
golfmad likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by NYCRachel View Post
I understand your objective (and we are in the same boat for Puerto Vallarta) but I would kindly point out that the information you are seeking is unlikely to be useful in planning travel this winter. As we've seen from the individual US states and the rest of the world, the virus infections ebb and flow and there is no way to predict where we will be in 3 months. It's really a call you have to make within a week of travel.

In my view the bigger risk lies with air travel and how you plan to vacation. It's a long trip from NYC and you will have no idea whether the people sitting near you on the plane have been careful (like you) or partying without masks every weekend. It is a risk you cannot control and it caused me great anxiety yesterday even on a short flight. Contrast to behavior when you arrive. If you plan to socially distance at the pool or beach and dine in outdoor restaurants, and avoid places where people don't wear masks, then your risks on the ground will be limited no matter where you are.

I have not yet crossed the threshold where I am willing to put my family on a 4-hour flight to PV but I'm getting closer... I would feel better if pre-testing was required before landing though it's not bullet proof.
Old Sep 17, 20, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
I understand your objective (and we are in the same boat for Puerto Vallarta) but I would kindly point out that the information you are seeking is unlikely to be useful in planning travel this winter. As we've seen from the individual US states and the rest of the world, the virus infections ebb and flow and there is no way to predict where we will be in 3 months. It's really a call you have to make within a week of travel.

In my view the bigger risk lies with air travel and how you plan to vacation. It's a long trip from NYC and you will have no idea whether the people sitting near you on the plane have been careful (like you) or partying without masks every weekend. It is a risk you cannot control and it caused me great anxiety yesterday even on a short flight. Contrast to behavior when you arrive. If you plan to socially distance at the pool or beach and dine in outdoor restaurants, and avoid places where people don't wear masks, then your risks on the ground will be limited no matter where you are.

I have not yet crossed the threshold where I am willing to put my family on a 4-hour flight to PV but I'm getting closer... I would feel better if pre-testing was required before landing though it's not bullet proof.
Fully agree with everything you said. Again, this is just something I'm considering. For example, I don't currently feel comfortable going on a plane right now, but might be in a few months.

Would love to decide "week of" but I'm also considering going for about 4-8 weeks and do a "work out of Mexico" situation, which will most likely take some planning (at least in my very type-A travel planning mind). There's a lot of "comfort boxes" that need to be checked in order for me to do this and I need to gather as much information as possible.
Old Sep 17, 20, 5:45 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle

The flight doesn’t worry me. We have the full back row of F (meaning minimal breathing by others into our space), N95 masks the whole way (minimal removal during flight/airport), air spigots on, and copious sanitizer. Hoping the immigration line in PVR is well distanced. The part that worries me is walking through the shark tank at the airport — I might just have my family hold our breaths walking through that room.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 18, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
<redacted reply to previously deleted post content>

I have a little different perspective. We are still deciding on our October trip. I don't really have concerns with the virus at our resort, as they are at low capacity, social distancing tables in restaurants, etc. My concern is wearing a mask and being itchy and hot for 8 hours of travel. I also have some concern about how open things are, and how easy to get around, once we arrive. Are we basically stuck at the hotel? Are masks required in lobbies, restaurants, by the pool, etc. Basically, are we not going to be able to enjoy the vacation because of all this. I've had a hard time getting good information on these things.
Boraxo, nnn, SJOGuy and 1 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 19, 20 at 9:50 am Reason: redacted reply to previously deleted post content

Search this Thread
Search Engine: