Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 20, 20, 5:38 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The land border between Mexico and the USA is closed for thirty days as of Saturday 31 March 2020, though it has been be extended since.

That means non-essential travel is not allowed into Mexico or the USA. Exceptions exist for medical appointments, students going to school or back, persons employed in essential services o the other side of the border, etc. Air travel is not affected at this time.

Link to US Embassy and Consulates in Mexico (US Department of State).

Link to San Diego Tribune article

Link to BBC article (Spanish language)

Some Mexican citizens have formed a citizens vigilante group taking action to interfere with American traffic crossing into the state of Sonora.

Air travel is unaffected at this time, but people returning to the USA detected with symptoms will likely have to quarantine.

link go State Department Global Level 4 Health Advisory (Do not travel)

link to COVID-19 Information for U.S. Citizens in Mexico, US Embassies & Consulates in Mexico

link to Status of U.S. Consular Operations in Mexico in Light of COVID-19

link to Mexico News Daily

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 25, 20, 5:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Just as a sense check, can anyone think of any restriction for a UK passport holder - living in the US - to fly from the US-Mexico and back again for a very short trip?

I have checked Timatic and government sources and I cannot see any restrictions in place other than from the countries listed in the Presidential Proclamation which does not include Mexico.

Due to idiotic US government bureaucratic requirements, my wife needs to generate a new I-94* and it seems the only way to do that without waiting 9 months for the online processing is to leave and re-enter the US. Mexico is probably the easiest option at the moment from our base. Thanks

*Her previous I-94 which was only issued 6 months ago was shortened to the expiration date of her previous passport.
Old Jun 27, 20, 11:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Just as a sense check, can anyone think of any restriction for a UK passport holder - living in the US - to fly from the US-Mexico and back again for a very short trip?

I have checked Timatic and government sources and I cannot see any restrictions in place other than from the countries listed in the Presidential Proclamation which does not include Mexico.

Due to idiotic US government bureaucratic requirements, my wife needs to generate a new I-94* and it seems the only way to do that without waiting 9 months for the online processing is to leave and re-enter the US. Mexico is probably the easiest option at the moment from our base. Thanks

*Her previous I-94 which was only issued 6 months ago was shortened to the expiration date of her previous passport.
There is a ground border closure for people on non-essential travel. It does not apply to air travelers at this time.
Old Jun 27, 20, 11:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Update on Coronavirus in Mexico (surging), from Mexico News Daily.
Old Jun 27, 20, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
There is a ground border closure for people on non-essential travel. It does not apply to air travelers at this time.
Thanks. My research could not find anything preventing us from returning. Currently near Riviera Maya returning (hopefully) via ATL tomorrow.

Very impressed by the way the situation is being handled here.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 28, 20, 12:02 am
formerly treepuppy

Here is the forecast for Mexico: https://covid19.healthdata.org/mexico

I want to go to Mexico City in August but the numbers look so big.
Old Jun 28, 20, 6:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Thanks. My research could not find anything preventing us from returning. Currently near Riviera Maya returning (hopefully) via ATL tomorrow.

Very impressed by the way the situation is being handled here.
Would be very interested in hearing you expand on this if you have the time. We have been contemplating a possible trip to a beach location in Mexico and would focus on isolating (e.g. remote AirBNB, buy groceries and just stare at the ocean). My primary concern is actually the transit portion back and forth, not so much the "on the ground" portion. Also, a little concerned how Mexico airports (e.g. Cabo, Cancun, or Puerto Vallarta) will handle crowding/social distancing, etc.

Anything specific you are referring to when you say your impressed by how the situation is being handled?

Regards
Old Jun 28, 20, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
Would be very interested in hearing you expand on this if you have the time. We have been contemplating a possible trip to a beach location in Mexico and would focus on isolating (e.g. remote AirBNB, buy groceries and just stare at the ocean). My primary concern is actually the transit portion back and forth, not so much the "on the ground" portion. Also, a little concerned how Mexico airports (e.g. Cabo, Cancun, or Puerto Vallarta) will handle crowding/social distancing, etc.

Anything specific you are referring to when you say your impressed by how the situation is being handled?

Regards
First of all let me say that CUN was relatively quiet when we arrived and not a lot busier when we departed (we are the airport now). All the staff were wearing masks. The immigration line was set out with social distancing spacers which worked fine for the people in front and behind but made no difference to the line snaking in the other direction. It would have made more sense to leave a row between snakes.

There are hand sanitizer gel stations dotted around at frequent intervals. The bathrooms are very clean.

We stayed in Riviera Maya and I was impressed by the lengths the resort went to in order to maintain safety including temperature checks and mats to wipe shoes on arrival. There were no buffets at all and room service was offered from all restaurants.

Our transit from the airport to the resort was by small bus but we were the only ones onboard in both directions. The only thing that let it down at the end was the requirement to sign a form from the driver who handed me his pen and required me to use it.

We really did not want to travel but were forced into it through the intransigence of the USCIS who refused to make a sensible exception to an expiring I-94. To coin a phrase from Jack Black, "the government totally sucks".
bizum likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 8:59 am

Hello!

Green card holder with Taiwanese passport.

Thinking about traveling to Mexico City for one week in mid-July. Reading from previous posts, it looks like air travel is not restricted for non-essential travel. What about restriction for coming back to the States? I live in Virginia.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by lakersgo View Post
Hello!

Thinking about traveling to Mexico City for one week in mid-July. Reading from previous posts, it looks like air travel is not restricted for non-essential travel. What about restriction for coming back to the States? I live in Virginia.
Air travel is not restricted coming back to the USA from Mexico. Normal entry rules apply.
lakersgo likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:46 am

First of all let me say that CUN was relatively quiet when we arrived and not a lot busier when we departed (we are the airport now). All the staff were wearing masks. The immigration line was set out with social distancing spacers which worked fine for the people in front and behind but made no difference to the line snaking in the other direction. It would have made more sense to leave a row between snakes.

There are hand sanitizer gel stations dotted around at frequent intervals. The bathrooms are very clean.

We stayed in Riviera Maya and I was impressed by the lengths the resort went to in order to maintain safety including temperature checks and mats to wipe shoes on arrival. There were no buffets at all and room service was offered from all restaurants.

Our transit from the airport to the resort was by small bus but we were the only ones onboard in both directions. The only thing that let it down at the end was the requirement to sign a form from the driver who handed me his pen and required me to use it.

We really did not want to travel but were forced into it through the intransigence of the USCIS who refused to make a sensible exception to an expiring I-94. To coin a phrase from Jack Black, "the government totally sucks".
Thanks very much for taking the time to provide your experiences.

With things seemingly getting worse, rather than better, we are leaning towards not going forward with this or perhaps reassessing in the fall, but man what I wouldn't give to just sit on the lanai of a nice condo/house in Cabo and stare at the ocean for a week...

Regards
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:53 am

Hello!

I would highly encourage you to do some research before undertaking this particular trip, particularly if non-essential. See the chart provided by JDiver in a previous post as well as some of his previous posts on how things are going in Mexico. Mexico City, in particular, is experiencing a pretty significant challenge bringing Covid-19 under control.

The fact that something is legal to do does not, in and of itself, make it a good idea (and I say that as someone with a reasonably high threshold for "riskier" travel and a sincere love of Mexico).

Regards
JDiver and bizum like this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 10:10 am

Thanks.

Will most likely travel domestically only.

Last edited by lakersgo; Jun 30, 20 at 2:19 pm
Old Jun 30, 20, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

The latest figures. Johns Hopkins says it has not peaked. Link

bizum likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 9:31 pm
formerly treepuppy

Thanks.

Will most likely travel domestically only.
misunderstood

Last edited by FlyingSloth; Jul 1, 20 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 1, 20, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth View Post
just curious how did you get a green card for Mexico?
How did you draw that conclusion? The poster stated they have a Taiwan passport but hold a green card and live in Virginia, thus the obvious conclusion would be US green card.

Regards

Search this Thread
Search Engine: