Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 26, 20, 4:02 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The land border between Mexico and the USA is closed for thirty days as of Saturday 31 March 2029, though it could be extended after that.

That means non-essential travel is not allowed into Mexico or the USA. Exceptions exist for medical appointments, students going to school or back, persons employed in essential services o the other side of the border, etc. Air travel is not affected at this time.

Link to US Embassy and Consulates in Mexico (US Department of State).

Link to San Diego Tribune article

Link to BBC article (Spanish language)

Some Mexican citizens have formed a citizens vigilante group taking action to interfere with American traffic crossing into the state of Sonora.

Air travel is unaffected at this time, but people returning to the USA detected with symptoms will likely have to quarantine.

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 20, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
Are you saying there were that many tourists still in PV flying home? What are they thinking? ( Or not)
For those that are seasonal snowbirds, or otherwise just on a longer trip, depending on where they are getting their news, if even getting much news at all (i.e., the POTUS, where this wasn't much of anything until a few days ago, or the Government of Mexico, that hasn't seemed to take this too seriously), widespread word of Get the Eff Out is probably hitting the masses of people that had more extended stays planned.
Old Mar 22, 20, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BA silver, Crystal Society Double Diamond
I have a couple of snowbird friends with lovely gated/walled homes down in Mexico who chose to stay because the NOB living situations were not as nice. These folks are in good health and are well stocked with food. They are willing to chance it. Not my choice but theirs. Lots of folks still getting out who live in Canada and US.
Old Mar 22, 20, 9:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Originally Posted by ijkh View Post
I have a couple of snowbird friends with lovely gated/walled homes down in Mexico who chose to stay because the NOB living situations were not as nice. These folks are in good health and are well stocked with food. They are willing to chance it. Not my choice but theirs. Lots of folks still getting out who live in Canada and US.
Everyone I know in SMA came back North. They know that if they get seriously ill from the virus, the Mexican hospitals will not be able to save their lives.....they decided to take their chances here in the States.
Old Mar 23, 20, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by david55 View Post
Everyone I know in SMA came back North. They know that if they get seriously ill from the virus, the Mexican hospitals will not be able to save their lives.....they decided to take their chances here in the States.
The Americans I know have nice homes in Mexico and not so nice places in the states. So they are sheltering in place down south. Not everyone is fortunate to have a safe harbor up north. I can not say I am not terribly worried about them all. They all have plenty of food, and cars to move if they need to. It is not a choice that I would be willing to make ever. There are a lot of expats on the Pacific coast who have chosen to ride it out.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 7:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
I found this article in yesterday's online Mexico newspaper a bit alarming.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cor...uld-be-lethal/
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Given travelers with “essential business” are still allowed to cross the US-Mexico border but there’s no temperatures or health checks, alarmed Mexican citizens are taking matters in their own hands and stopping Americans at the De Concini checkpoint at Nogales. To avoid harassment and possible vigilante action, be very cautious and avoid unnecessary border crossing or travel. If you have essential business, be careful, as this movement could grow.

Mexico is grossly under-testing, and it is suspected COVID-19 is widely ignored and underreported in Mexico. Several officials have stated or implied México is largely Coronavirus free and that most infections have been spread by American visitors and tourists. Many Mexican people are swayed by the vast misinformation being disseminated and paucity of Mexican government transparency, reliable health information and leadership on this issue.

in my opinion, all Americans in Mexico should be aware that they could be targeted by fearful, upset Mexicans who have been led to believe COVID-19 was / is spread by Americans. Those visiting might be at greater risk than Americans living in Mexico in the areas where they live and are known.

Residents in Sonora, south of the US state of Arizona, have promised to block traffic into Mexico for a second day after closing a checkpoint for hours on Wednesday.

They wore face masks and held signs telling Americans to "stay at home".

Mexico has fewer than 500 confirmed Covid-19 cases and the US over 65,000.

The border is supposed to be closed to all except "essential" business, but protesters said there has been little enforcement and no testing by authorities.
The blockade was led by members of a Sonora-based group, Health and Life, who called for medical testing to be done on anyone who crosses from the US into Mexico.

link to BBC article
RFNJ likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 26, 20 at 12:11 pm
Old Mar 28, 20, 4:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon View Post
Thank you for this smart advice. I made the decision to cancel my ticket and use the credit to re-book for a trip to Campeche in January. The AA agent was so nice and helpful. Best wishes to everyone in these crazy times. Despite my heartbreak, I feel good about making the right decision....and making sure I don't get caught up in what could be a massive humanitarian situation in Mexico.
Campeche is a gem of a place, so that'll be a trip to look forward to. Definitely make plans to see San Cristóbal de las Casas one day too. (Different trips, of course!)
JDiver and thunderdeacon like this.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Mar 28, 20 at 3:48 pm
Old Mar 28, 20, 11:04 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
Campeche is a gem of a place, so that'll be a trip to look forward to. Definitely make plans to see San Cristóbal de las Casas one day too. (Different trips, of course!)
Thank you! This would actually have been my second trip to Chiapas. I fell in love with it the first time around! I'm probably going to leave part of my heart in Campeche too from what I have read. Best wishes.
Old Mar 29, 20, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
We are ticketed to fly down to PV on May 30 - hoping this does not have to be postponed but I guess that depends on how bad it gets there. From what I've seen the resort staff does a 10x better job cleaning the rooms every day in Mexico than they do here.
Old Mar 30, 20, 5:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon View Post
Thank you! This would actually have been my second trip to Chiapas. I fell in love with it the first time around! I'm probably going to leave part of my heart in Campeche too from what I have read. Best wishes.
Best wishes to you as well. Chiapas has become my favorite state to visit in Mexico.
JDiver likes this.
Old Today, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
We are ticketed to fly down to PV on May 30 - hoping this does not have to be postponed but I guess that depends on how bad it gets there. From what I've seen the resort staff does a 10x better job cleaning the rooms every day in Mexico than they do here.
As far as I know beaches in Jalisco and Colima have all been closed. PV is sheltering in place as much as possible. Tour buses for semana santa are being turned away elsewhere on the Costa Alegre. Check and see if your hotel is open. If you have a home down there then it is probably ok.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: