FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Mexico all-inclusive travel (Coronavirus): should I go? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/2012524-mexico-all-inclusive-travel-coronavirus-should-i-go.html)

Dorienna Mar 12, 2020 4:22 am

Mexico all-inclusive travel (Coronavirus): should I go?

It seems the more I read/watch the news, the more nervous I get. It had never crossed my mind to cancel my trip until now, not quite sure what to do. I'm scheduled to fly out next week to Mexico for an all-inclusive vacation, and looking for insight on what to do. Everyone in our group is relatively young and healthy, flying from Canada (YUL-CUN). I was planning on using common sense and extra hand-washing, but I'm starting to get worried. I know money shouldn't be a deciding factor, but it's still a pricey trip that was booked as non-refundable (back in early February). I realize the more at-risk environments would include the airports, actual plane, and food at the buffets. Am I being foolish by still wanting to go? I'm trying to separate hype from facts, and it's not easy.

Mama Mar 12, 2020 5:32 am

At this point, it is really just about the money, isn't it?
Personally, I would not travel anywhere unless it is absolutely necessary, i.e, work, business, family matters, etc. But NOT vacation.

hoipolloi Mar 12, 2020 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Dorienna (Post 32173176)
It seems the more I read/watch the news, the more nervous I get. It had never crossed my mind to cancel my trip until now, not quite sure what to do. I'm scheduled to fly out next week to Mexico for an all-inclusive vacation, and looking for insight on what to do. Everyone in our group is relatively young and healthy, flying from Canada (YUL-CUN). I was planning on using common sense and extra hand-washing, but I'm starting to get worried. I know money shouldn't be a deciding factor, but it's still a pricey trip that was booked as non-refundable (back in early February). I realize the more at-risk environments would include the airports, actual plane, and food at the buffets. Am I being foolish by still wanting to go? I'm trying to separate hype from facts, and it's not easy.

please just cancel it and advise your groups to do the same. Think about how bad you'll feel if you end up catching the disease and bring it it to your family, friends and colleagues. Think about the cleanliness of the buffet at the hotel.

plus, I'm scheduled to go there during the same period, and cancellations by others will reduce the price of my refundable hotel and award flight

Beachfun71 Mar 12, 2020 6:12 am

I have a family vacation scheduled to PVR in about 10 days. I’m more worried about Mexico deciding not to let us in!

And if you can believe all the reported numbers, I am at a much higher risk of being infected right here in Chicago than down in Mexico.

Mama Mar 12, 2020 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Beachfun71 (Post 32173528)
I have a family vacation scheduled to PVR in about 10 days. I’m more worried about Mexico deciding not to let us in!

And if you can believe all the reported numbers, I am at a much higher risk of being infected right here in Chicago than down in Mexico.

I am not sure I will believe the numbers in Mexico.
But the U.S. is way behind on managing this coronavirus issue anyway, so you may be right.

emma69 Mar 12, 2020 7:58 am

Going to a destination which has hundreds (maybe thousands) of strangers from all over the world, all of whom have been through airports and on planes with hundreds, thousands of other strangers from all over the world wouldn't be my number once choice right now. If you were to get sick there, does everyone in your group have insurance to cover medical care, and is that insurance still valid in a pandemic situation?

That said the bigger risk I would be worried about would be not being able to get home if Canada were to shut its borders / airlines stop flying the routes and being quarantined in less than idea housing.

erik123 Mar 12, 2020 8:28 am

You should not travel from an area with high transmission to an area with low transmission as you may well be spreading the virus. In fact, you should not travel at all.

LondonElite Mar 12, 2020 8:29 am

I’d go, but understand others may have a different opinion.

Boggie Dog Mar 12, 2020 8:57 am

Is there any data on COVID-19 propagation in warmer climates?

lebowski2222 Mar 12, 2020 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 32174212)

There doesn't seem to be as many cases in the really warm climates. Places like Hawaii, Arizona, Caribbean have really low numbers

MSPeconomist Mar 12, 2020 10:00 am

I'd worry more about violent crime and "counterfeit" alcohol in Mexican resorts (plus maybe some food poisoning on the side) than Corona the virus.

hanser Mar 12, 2020 11:31 am

According to the State Dept they are advising against all GLOBAL travel. Odd that CDC has different guidelines and does country by country,

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ory-issue.html

Often1 Mar 12, 2020 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Mama (Post 32173389)
At this point, it is really just about the money, isn't it?
Personally, I would not travel anywhere unless it is absolutely necessary, i.e, work, business, family matters, etc. But NOT vacation.

It's more than directly money. Could well be that if travel restrictions are imposed, they could include quarantine for returning citizens. Given the State Department warning covering worldwide travel as well as the potential -- just potential at this stage -- that one is stuck in Mexico and returns to a 14-day quarantine, I would not travel.

But, there is no prohibition, so it is an individualized decision.

Transpacificflyer Mar 12, 2020 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog (Post 32174212)

Yes. look at Singapore or the Gulf region experience.

Originally Posted by lebowski2222 (Post 32174385)
There doesn't seem to be as many cases in the really warm climates. Places like Hawaii, Arizona, Caribbean have really low numbers

Nonsense. If warm climates offered protection we would not see the incidence that we do in Singapore or the Gulf states.
The Caribbean has not been testing. US data is UNRELIABLE because the USA has not been testing in significant numbers.The US testing rate was approximately.
5 tests per million and should be 6-8 per million by tomorrow. In contrast, South Korea is nearing 4,000 tests per million. You can't control an illness unless you contain it and testing is the vital requirement.
Here's a more drastic illustration; British Columbia Canada population 5 million had tested more patients at the end of last month than the entire USA population 327 million had tested.
Infection rates are low if you do not look for infections or test. That's what happened in Thailand. It had an open door policy for months encouraging visitors from China at the peak of the Chinese epidemic. And yet, during that time, no infections in Thailand were reported.
Another example is that of the increasing number of infections imported into Canada from sun destinations like the Dominican republic, Hawaii, Egypt etc. As people return from March break we will see a large increase.

If the USA ever starts testing in large numbers as it should, we will see tens of thousands of infections in a matter of days. Infected people are circulating in the USA because of a failure to test and to educate.

3,692 tests per million people.

ijkh Mar 12, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi from the Costa Alegre just south of PVR. It is true I have been in a tiny town but it full of NOB tourists. I have not seen nor heard of anyone ill. Gossip is pretty fast in this place. Next week we go up to PVR for an overnight prior to our flight home. I may wear a stupid mask just to keep my hands off my face. I will use chlorox wipes on our hotel room in PVR on door handles. Mostly I have my fingers crossed for a safe journey home. I know lots of people planning on staying here where they perceive it safer. I have heard gossip that Mexico's Covid will break out around March 20th. I have no idea how someone came up with that date.

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2020...rch-20-and-30/