FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Guadalajara Ground Transportation 4:30am (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/2008167-guadalajara-ground-transportation-4-30am.html)

shadowdog Feb 8, 2020 5:09 pm

Guadalajara Ground Transportation 4:30am

I can't seem to find current information regarding buses leaving Guadalajara airport. I would like to take a bus to the city if possible. My plane lands at 4:30am and I am estimating 1 hour for customs & immigration. Is this reasonable? Will be this coming Friday. Are there any buses running at this time? Rumors have it that the Chapala bus company starts running at 6am and I would be okay waiting 30 minutes. Is there also a municipal bus? What about colectivos? I would like to get on the MX$ 6 or 12 (-ish) bus, if possible. I've also heard of an MX$80 bus - is this the Chapala line? Uber estimates between MX$115-150 and they don't seem to be around a lot, even during business hours (said somebody on the internet...). Taxis are MX$250-300. So I know I have options, just prefer cheap over comfort. I just have a small backpack so luggage is not a concern. My Spanish is basic but I don't know if I can ask or understand detailed bus information when there are possibly several options. Would appreciate any ground transportation information anyone can share!

Eastbay1K Feb 8, 2020 10:49 pm

To get totally real with you, if you're landing in a City you know nothing about and are sketchy about your ability to communicate, don't be so cheap that you won't spend the US$15 max at an hour when you are likely very overtired to get to your (presumably safe) lodging, and get yourself to a place where you can get your bearings, and some rest. How much is this trip costing you? How much will you save by taking a bus? Drink a few less beers on your trip, and you're even, and safe.

It isn't about the comfort. It is about the safe.

lamphs Feb 9, 2020 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 32049900)

It isn't about the comfort. It is about the safe.

I have relatives in Guadalajara. When I visit, and they know my limited language skills, I am going to be told to use an official airport taxi. Also, if I am arriving at 4:30 AM, I am going to be tired, not 100% alert, so I'd be asking my lodging the safest way to arrive from the airport.

Section 107 Feb 10, 2020 8:22 am

It seems you might find the information you are seeking at this website which lists several bus operators going from the airport to downtown: https://www.airport-guadalajara.com/bus.php

They list at least 3 companies indicating service to the city center from GDL airport.

JDiver Feb 10, 2020 11:30 am

Adding Chapala and Ajijíc transport from GDL

...the airport is about a 30 minute drive to Lake Chapala or Ajijic and transportation to the area is limited. Many people claim that taking a bus from the airport to Chapala can be done but it is not meant for new comers. It is always suggested to take a Taxi on your first visit. We will mention the transportation options and costs below:...Taxis, renting a car or having someone pick you up at the Guadalajara airport are the best options you have for transportation over to Chapala. There are many Taxi’s all hours of the day and night at the airport, there is however a system on how to pay and take one. You have to buy a prepaid ticket at the “Taxi desk” which is located as soon as you exit the arrivals gate. This is to prevent the Taxi drivers from over charging you.

The price you pay is a flat rate depending on where you are going. Prices for taking a cab to Chapala or Ajijic can be anywhere from $400 to $450 pesos ($35 – $45 USD) and the trip can take about 30 to 40 minutes depending on the traffic. The taxis are located right out side the building and are always available, there is hardly no waiting time or lines.

Buses from GDL airport to Chapala:

Catching a bus to save some money can be a hassle, don’t bother to do it and especially with baggage. Since the airport is a third of the way to Chapala. You would have to take a bus to the Guadalajara bus station, which is the opposite direction of Chapala. Or you could walk from the Airport terminal to the main road “carretera 23” and wait under the bridge overpass for one of the buses coming from the GDL bus station, stop it and hop on board. But please keep in mind that it is about a quarter km walk from the airport to the main highway and walking conditions are not meant for pedestrians. The bus fair from the main highway can be anywhere from $30 to $50 pesos (3-4 USD).

https://www.accesslakechapala.com/gu...ransportation/

shadowdog Feb 10, 2020 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107 (Post 32054769)
It seems you might find the information you are seeking at this website which lists several bus operators going from the airport to downtown: https://www.airport-guadalajara.com/bus.php

They list at least 3 companies indicating service to the city center from GDL airport.

Thanks... I had found this website but none of the companies that are linked have a schedule posted as far as I could tell. Thank you for trying, appreciate it!

Section 107 Feb 10, 2020 8:55 pm

yeah, I frequently find with mexican travel websites it is worth contacting them directly - for some reason the company's idea of what is important to be on the website is not the same as what customers feel is important.

shadowdog Feb 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107 (Post 32057474)
yeah, I frequently find with mexican travel websites it is worth contacting them directly - for some reason the company's idea of what is important to be on the website is not the same as what customers feel is important.

Hahaha, seems like I found a few prime examples here... Thanks for the laughs :)

shadowdog Feb 18, 2020 1:51 pm

Just in case anyone is reading this thread in the future looking for information, as of February 2020 there are no buses leaving GDL at 5am on weekdays.

JDiver Feb 19, 2020 11:06 am

Originally Posted by shadowdog (Post 32087014)
Just in case anyone is reading this thread in the future looking for information, as of February 2020 there are no buses leaving GDL at 5am on weekdays.

ˇGracias! for posting that information.