Wiki Posts
Search

Tulum hotel or airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Tulum hotel or airbnb?

Have a stay coming for Tulum in April. Been looking at boutique hotels (not looking to shell out 60K/nt marriott points at Papaya Playa) but quite uncertain about these properties. I think I'd like to stay on the beach but lot of properties either don't have running electricity or have shared bathroom (?!!). Never heard that before besides hostels/dorms living situation... I assume this is what they call "cabana style" rooms?

Regarding a/c, we are visiting in mid-april. Weather sites show it will be mid to high 80s there. Should the temperature be a concern then?
Also, Mrs CnO does not sleep well with mosquitoes around. Not sure if I should be looking at bigger resorts or airbnbs? Would appreciate some help in fine-tuning some property suggestions here.

Last edited by carsnoceans; Feb 4, 2020 at 1:48 pm
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Many of the resorts south of Tulum are considered 'eco chic' and are somewhat off the grid. Unless you enjoy sleeping in hot humid climes, you would probably want AC in April.

We rented a VRBO house north of Tulum in Tulsayab. We could see the Tulum ruins from our pool across the bay. The beach was rocky, but we had AC and a pool and a couple that cooked a lot of our meals.

When we wanted some beach time, we just went to a resort/beach club south of Tulum called Club Zebra. Great vibe, great food, a minimum spend but still worth it.

We were there in June and a room without AC would have been pretty miserable with the heat index over 100 every day. We were surprised to learn that so many of the resorts there were not air conditioned. If your room isn't right on the beach catching a breeze, its a sweaty buggy experience. So, for us, the VRBO was the way to go.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
We rented a very nice airbnb in Tulum in Aldea Zama, which is a very modern development but isn't on the beach. There are many shabby chic hotels along the beach. My wife stayed a week in May and the Playa Papaya and loved it. We're headed back in November and have rented a house on the beach this time. As you have likely noticed, Tulum is pretty expensive (and crazy expensive by Mexico standards). It depends on what your want to do. In any case, there are mosquitoes.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:28 pm

I have a 2 night stay at Nueva Vida De Ramiro for early March. Staying in Mayakoba region for a week but coming to Tulum for 2 nights. Its basic huts right on a big beautiful beach with lots of space between guests. Check them out the prices are also very reasonable and close to all nearby bars/restaurants
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:12 am

Tulum is one of the hottest destinations in Mexico, and is also one of my personal favorites. It’s located in the state of Quintana Roo and part of the Yucatan Peninsula, which is abundant in natural and historical attractions. It’s no surprise that so many people choose to come to this part of the world to enjoy the beach, a great food scene, and explore Mayan ruins.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 8:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tomtestmark
Tulum is one of the hottest destinations in Mexico, and is also one of my personal favorites. It’s located in the state of Quintana Roo and part of the Yucatan Peninsula, which is abundant in natural and historical attractions. It’s no surprise that so many people choose to come to this part of the world to enjoy the beach, a great food scene, and explore Mayan ruins.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Which lodgings and dining spots are your preferred ones in Tulum? What activities or highlights would you recommend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.