Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Best views of Mexico City? (rooftop, hotel, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi All

I have plans to be in MXC from Wednesday til Sunday and although most of it will be on business I have an extra day when I arrive to enjoy myself. Since I am a timelapse photographer I am wondering if anyone can tell me of a really spectacular view of the skyline? Whether it is from a hotel, or a rooftop bar or some other type of location that I could Uber to. I will only have one night to get it so would really like something iconic of the city.

I've googled a bit but every hotel in the city always claims to have amazing views - it's just that they rarely ever have an actual photo of you'd be seeing. I've booked hotels in cities thinking I'd have a great composition but ended up being of 1 or 2 single skyscrapers near by.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by VLtone
Hi All

I have plans to be in MXC from Wednesday til Sunday and although most of it will be on business I have an extra day when I arrive to enjoy myself. Since I am a timelapse photographer I am wondering if anyone can tell me of a really spectacular view of the skyline? Whether it is from a hotel, or a rooftop bar or some other type of location that I could Uber to. I will only have one night to get it so would really like something iconic of the city.

I've googled a bit but every hotel in the city always claims to have amazing views - it's just that they rarely ever have an actual photo of you'd be seeing. I've booked hotels in cities thinking I'd have a great composition but ended up being of 1 or 2 single skyscrapers near by.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Mexico City doesn't have a particularly amazing skyline. Air clarity is another issue. Your best bet is to head up the Torre Latinoamericana. It is right in the City Center, which is not an area with many tall buildings.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:22 am

While not super high, I'd suggest the view from Chapultepec castle. You can uber to the bottom of the hill, but then would need to walk up (or take the touristy "train" thing). As mentioned, pollution in general may be an issue.
TWA884 and comfortablynumb like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Views

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It looks like I'm staying at the Hilton which appears to be walkable to the tower, so I think I will head there tonight to timelapse the sunset. Do you think they'll let me stand in 1 spot with a tripod for 2 hours? Lots of places in the US frown on that.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The view from the 19th floor of the Hyatt Regency Polanco at the end of March of this year. The hotel is 40+ stories tall.

Old Aug 15, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I find some of the most interesting architecture (reminiscent of Miami) is in the Sante Fe neighborhood on the west side of town and higher in elevation so it overlooks the city. It has been a long time since I have been there so not sure what buildings/hotels there have rooftop bars now but have enjoyed the rooftop at the Westin hotel and the Hilton has a very nice rooftop pool/lounge area but with 8-ft high glass panel walls might not be conducive to photography.

Having said that - the traditional rooftop hotspots are Balmori, Miralto, Hotel/Restaurant Condessa DF. Dont forget Bellini, the revolving restaurant
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:30 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Taken from Biblioteca Vasconcelos (Vasconcelos Library)
Attached Images  
comfortablynumb likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Mexico City doesn't have a particularly amazing skyline. Air clarity is another issue. Your best bet is to head up the Torre Latinoamericana. It is right in the City Center, which is not an area with many tall buildings.
I really liked the view from up there. Also with your purchase you get a chance to visit twice. At daylight and after it became dark outside. Really nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.