Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Oaxaca and Area, Culture & Crafts of Southwest Mexico

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I stayed here and it was fabulous: https://www.paradorsanmiguel.com/e/
Easy walking distance to major attractions in the central historico area.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
I'm answering months late, but I hope someone looking later will find this useful!

Quinta Real is definitely a good place to stay if you like larger hotels with all facilities. If you like something smaller, I recommend Casa Oaxaca hotel, which is very quiet and has a breakfast to die for.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by asar
I'm answering months late, but I hope someone looking later will find this useful!

Quinta Real is definitely a good place to stay if you like larger hotels with all facilities. If you like something smaller, I recommend Casa Oaxaca hotel, which is very quiet and has a breakfast to die for.
This is very helpful information for me, as several weeks ago I booked a trip to OAX for Sept/Oct and am just now starting to think about planning my visit.

How much time would you recommend spending in Oaxaca city? I was thinking four or even five nights, as I want to take time to really experience the city and - probably even more importantly - relax. I was in Puebla in June for four nights, and I felt that was a decent amount of time, although I could have easily happily spent another day there.

Also, I was thinking of combining a trip to Oaxaca with a return visit to Chiapas - I'd really love to spend some more time in San Cristóbal de las Casas. But it seems like that would be something like 12 hours by bus, yes? I'm not sure I want to deal with that, and as far as I can tell there are no flights between Oaxaca and Chiapas without changing in CDMX.

Also, do you (or anyone else) have thoughts on the beaches? An Israeli travel vlogger I like had a video a few months ago about Puerto Escondido, which looked interesting but (according to him) also gets crowded with partiers. Are there any beaches that you'd recommend for quiet relaxation that have decent (doesn't need to be luxurious) accommodations? Mazunte seems attractive, but I don't know much about it.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
4-5 nights in Oaxaca City sounds perfect! You will have space for a daytrip or two, which are very rewarding in that area.

I would advise against trying to visit Chiapas from Oaxaca. The roads are winding and a 12 hour bus is standard. Also, there's just way too much to do in the state. Better to keep Chiapas for a separate trip some other time.

I'm not a huge fan of Puerto Escondido town itself, but the beaches around it are my favorite in the world. If you wanna go upscale-ish, Hotel Escondido (member of Design Hotels) is just far enough from Puerto to feel isolated, and with definite rustic chic vibes. If you prefer a small, high quality but chill B&B, take a look at San Agustinillo, which has nicer beaches, is less crowded and more 'grown up' than Mazunte next door.

Note that the drive from Oaxaca City to the coast is awful - many hours and dangerous. Book a flight on a turboprop run by beloved local carrier Aerotucán (Inicio - Aerotucan Aerotaxis de México), but book a few weeks in advance as it fills up.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:33 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Thanks for the tips. I'm not set on the beach and honestly am more into cultural destinations myself. I'd love to find a small, quiet, colonial town to spend a few days in. But I have time to figure things out.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Thanks for this - we're heading there in November, this gives some very useful pointers!

Any tips for drivers for hire and hotels?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.