FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   First time to Cancun - Advice needed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1966585-first-time-cancun-advice-needed.html)

MLowe1982 Apr 23, 2019 7:19 am

First time to Cancun - Advice needed

Good morning everyone,
My family and I will be going to Cancun July 31st - August 8th. My 10 year old daughter will be coming with me and we will be staying on the far north side of the Hotel Zone. I was hoping to get suggestions for a tour group to take us to Chichen Itza and find out if people think it is safe to take a Taxi's up and down the hotel zone. I was thinking about taking my daughter one day to Wet and Wild. Also any suggestions of other things to do in the Hotel Zone for families? I figured we would spend most of our time at resorts but i get stir crazy staying in one place to long. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

anaggie Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm

The hotel zone is very safe and you don’t need to take a taxi up and down. They have buses that go up and down 24hrs and charge 12 pesos for a ride to anywhere in the zone. You just tell the drivers where you need him to stop when you get on. Taxis are outrageous prices.

Don’t know about the wet and wild place.

Chichen Itza should be a safe destination due to the amount of tourists going.

MoreMilesPlease Apr 23, 2019 3:56 pm

There will be 1001 tour companies and your hotel selling trips to Chichen. It's very nice and very very touristy. I prefer Coba and the centotes nearby. I Would suggest that over the long trek to Chichen. I also second just taking the local bus up and down the hotel zone. we stayed in Playa del Carmen and used the local ADO buses without issue. We also rented a car and drove all over the Yucatan without issue.

The Cancun Hotel Zone is very much a Little America and you'll find most American eateries and shops there.

JDiver Apr 24, 2019 9:48 am

3 Attachment(s)
As anaggie stated, forget the taxi and use the bus within the hotel zone.

I’d recommend taking the ferry to Isla Mujeres one day, and look at tours to Cobá, maybe Tulúm and vicinity, and if you like theme parks there’s a massive tropical theme park at Xcaret (website).

smc333 Apr 24, 2019 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by MLowe1982 (Post 31028463)
Good morning everyone,
My family and I will be going to Cancun July 31st - August 8th. My 10 year old daughter will be coming with me and we will be staying on the far north side of the Hotel Zone. I was hoping to get suggestions for a tour group to take us to Chichen Itza and find out if people think it is safe to take a Taxi's up and down the hotel zone. I was thinking about taking my daughter one day to Wet and Wild. Also any suggestions of other things to do in the Hotel Zone for families? I figured we would spend most of our time at resorts but i get stir crazy staying in one place to long. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

I would recommend going to Chichen Itza as early as you can possibly stand waking up. It get hotter and more crowded as the day goes on. There's shady areas but most of the area around the main attractions is pretty open, so it can be tough dealing with the heat. And be sure to bring water with you.