Mini trip report San Jose Del Cabo

Old Jan 20, 19, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline

Hi all:
I don't have the patience to write full on trip reports but I wanted to give a brief overview of our recent trip with what I hope is some helpful information. Those who travel to Mexico often may know some of this already but as we haven't I thought I'd share:
In no particular order:
• AirBnBs abound both in town and on the beaches. We stayed near the golf course for a few days then out at the beach near Cabo Azul for a few days and much enjoyed the beach area. Being near town was great in both locations, but the views, the air, and the general feeling of peacefulness was much more prevalent at the beach. We couldn't have picked a better AirBNB's in both instances – the first running about 100 a night the second about 250, but this was truly a complete paradise with every possible amenity one can imagine.
• We haven't traveled to Mexico in many years, and appreciated being warned about the gauntlet we had to walk of timeshare salesmen as we exited the airport. the advice to just keep saying "no Gracias" served us well.
• We paid for car service to take us to the first Airbnb and if we'd known that Uber was so prevalent already, we wouldn't have bothered. It was $50 US, and the driver was a recalcitrant grump. We took Ubers everywhere around Los Cabos, including a day trip to Cabo San Lucas which we were glad to have encountered as will never go back there again. Uber fares from town to the beach or town to the golf course ran about 2 to 3 dollars, so including a generous tip in cash was no problem. The one taxi we took got lost taking us to the restaurant we'd chosen, insisted he brought us to the right place, and refused to look at our GPS which showed the restaurant we were wanting to go to was in back of the strip mall he'd taken us to.
• That said most of the Uber drivers offered us their cell phones so we could contact them directly for rides around town. One particular driver was really pleasant, had especially clean car and knew English well so we used him for several rides around town including going back to the airport when we left. The airport ride was only $15, and that was 1/3 above what Uber would've charged us.
• Dollars are accepted everywhere but not particularly prized. Stores gave us prices in both dollars and pesos, generally with a fair exchange rate. We got pesos at an ATM and used cash for almost everything we purchase. American Express is accepted by all but the smallest merchants, and MasterCard/Visa accepted just about everywhere.
• As we are older and not willing to take the chances on street food that others might find fine, we ate in a combination of smaller restaurants and a couple of nicer meals. Smaller restaurants ran $20-$30 for two, with nicer ones closer to 50 including a glass of wine or beer for each of us. We had wonderful food at every location, including a Thai/Belgian restaurant near our first B&B that was outstanding.

• I did not see one mosquito my entire trip although I did use deet for the first few days. After that I relied on some permethin wipes and had no trouble whatsoever, although I'm sure part of that is that it's been extremely dry for this dry season. I did get bitten up by some sand fleas, but other than that no problems. Both of our air BnBs had reverse osmosis filtered water in the kitchen sinks, but we had no trouble with the water anywhere. Again, we were very careful to not rinse our mouths out in restaurant sinks, drink tap water, and in most cases we didn't use ice. We did follow the travel clinics advice to chew on a Pepto-Bismol tablet before each meal we had absolutely no problems except the one night we totally overindulged and ate ourselves silly.

• We were a little surprised/disappointed by the general quality of the Mexican made goods there except for the very high-end shops. Well-crafted items like purses, bags, and clothing commended similar prices to what I'd find here at home, even with a bit of haggling. I wasn't looking for any super bargains – in fact I wasn't really looking to buy much – but I was a bit surprised at how expensive all the shops were except for items like keychains etc.

Some restaurant highlights:
Bistro D'anvers - run by a Belgian chef who traveled extensively throughout Asia and offered trad Belgian dishes and his own take on Thai which was outstanding.
Mi Casa - lovely family restaurant, tourists and locals alike, with dishes from many regions of Mexico.
La Lupita Tacos and Mezcal - name says it all. Non trad tacos including lamb with tzatziki sauce. Watch out for the agave beer.
Dolce - huge Italian restaurant with one of the best pasta dishes I have ever had - pasta with fresh spinach and prosciutto in a white wine, chicken broth.
How could I forget Flora farms – just outside of town, 2 miles up the hill on a dirt road is a mini empire with a brewery, organic garden, produce store, coffeehouse and some other potential living quarters we didn’t explore. We had some of the best donuts never had – and donuts – and an exquisite brunch was friendly and not obsequious service and some delicious local coffees that we brought home
Flora Farms Also owns the new brewpub Tapdeck, which serves pizza, ceviche, And if you other local salads and fish dishes. We serve their own beer in three or four styles as well as an assortment of other bottled beers. We happened to be there the night the brewmaster was having dinner, so we talked to him about craft beer in Mexico which is just starting to take off in the San Jose area.

We would go back again in the winter if we could stay on the beach again in a quiet complex liike we stayed . (El Zalate)
JDiver and SanDiego1K like this.

Last edited by squeakr; Jan 20, 19 at 2:29 pm Reason: Addition
Old Jan 20, 19, 1:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the great mini trip report, squeakr. Te lo agradecemos. (We appreaciate it.)
Old Jan 21, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: UA MM, DL MM
Thanks for the restaurant recos - we're also big fans of both Flora and Dolce so will try the others on your list for sure . Have been going to Cabo for a few years now and will be leaving on 2/9 for a week (living in Chicago has caused us to move vacation weeks to the winter ). As we usually stay along the Corridor, we rent a car so we have flexibility to drive out whenever we feel like it - have not had any issues with either rental car companies or the driving. Financially it's probably a wash or close to it. If you go back and plan on doing a few of the outdoor activities (whale watching, etc.) the Cabo Passport is a decent deal.
https://loscabospassport.com/
Old Jan 21, 19, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
I almost forgot - a real highlight was an unassuming cantina called Sardina. right next to our condo...looks like an overgrown coffee shop but we had a breakfast and a dinner there and all were great. Breakfast was traditional pancakes and french toast with tasty fruit; dinner was the LARGEST Mexican combo plate ever that included a small steak as well as an enchilada, chile relleno, fried rice and other sides, and a chicken marsala that was one of the best I've ever had. While the prices are on the high side for almost no ambiance, and it's cash only, the huge portions of delicious food and a wonderful mix of Mexican, sandwiches/burgers and dinner specials make it worthwhile.

Re driving; now that we've been there I don't know that we'd ever drive in town - lanes are narrow and drivers are crazy aggressive.
Old Jan 27, 19, 6:12 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
I almost forgot - a real highlight was an unassuming cantina called Sardina. right next to our condo...looks like an overgrown coffee shop but we had a breakfast and a dinner there and all were great. Breakfast was traditional pancakes and french toast with tasty fruit; dinner was the LARGEST Mexican combo plate ever that included a small steak as well as an enchilada, chile relleno, fried rice and other sides, and a chicken marsala that was one of the best I've ever had. While the prices are on the high side for almost no ambiance, and it's cash only, the huge portions of delicious food and a wonderful mix of Mexican, sandwiches/burgers and dinner specials make it worthwhile.
Great report, thanks for sharing your thoughts. We've been going to San Jose Del Cabo for ~20 years and really love it, though I fear it's going "Hollywood" pretty fast now and the ambiance is changing very rapidly.

We also enjoy Sardina's. Have been going there for many, many years. Usually eat there at least once each stay. Great little hole in the wall place, with very good food. Yes, a little high priced, but given portion sizes at dinner, my wife and I usually share an entree which is plenty for us. And yes, they have always been cash only which trips many people (myself included) up.

Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
Re driving; now that we've been there I don't know that we'd ever drive in town - lanes are narrow and drivers are crazy aggressive.
Nah, just pay attention and you'll be fine! We always rent a car and it really, really opens a lot of opportunities for spontaneous exploration (driving out to the port, etc.) Well worth it IMHO.

Glad you enjoyed the area, it's a real gem for sure. It might be one of the few places in the world that I truly "relax" and decompress.

Regards

Search this Thread