Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico City? (Is it worth three days?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:54 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Mexico City? (Is it worth three days?)

Pricing seems extremely reasonable for Mexico City right now. Is this a good 3 day getaway? Hate to be that person but is safety a concern these days? I'm a solo traveler.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator
I'm flying to mex on 8 jan 2019 with LH498 also solo traveller.
Mex is save if you use common sense. I would say, it is like NYC. Don't use taxis just by stopping them on the street, but go to dedicated taxi ranks, use common sense in metro, don't show to much your money and valuables etc.... Have fun
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is a perfect 3 day getaway. Great food, interesting sites, and inexpensive. Common street smarts, avoid undesirable areas, and stick to Uber or "sitio" vehicles (the ones at hotels / certain stands). Maybe even go climb a pyramid. Altitlde can get to you a bit when you're actively walking around the first day or so.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:53 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Anyone have a preferred area? I am Marriott/SPG Plat if that matters.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by skyccord
Anyone have a preferred area? I am Marriott/SPG Plat if that matters.
I suspect we could help more if you told us what you’d like to do. CDMX has everything from world class cuisines, museums, sights to nearby archaeological sites, etc.

See member KimDDD’s video of her and Naick’s visit to CDMX.

Mexico City Layover (hours ~ three days) Master Thread

Mexico City / CDMX Stay, Eat, Drink, See & Get Around (annotated)

Trip Advisor what to do https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ulf_Coast.html

Hotels, the Marriott on Reforma Avenue may be your best bet? Paseo de la Reforma 276, 06600 Cuauhtemoc, CDMX Mexico

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 20, 2019 at 10:39 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
La Condesa is a hipster/safe/tourist friendly section of the city and decently center located, if that is possible to pinpoint in MEX. Stayed there for four days with 2 friends and had a great time with bars, restaurants and cafes within walking distance. Issue is there are no major hotels in the area and as JDiver has listed the closest ones are a bit NW/NE of the area.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:24 pm
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
I suspect we could help more if you told us what you’d like to do. CDMX has everything from world class cuisines, museums, sights to nearby archaeological sites, etc.

See Mexico City Layover (hours ~ three days) Master Thread

Mexico City / CDMX Stay, Eat, Drink, See & Get Around (annotated)

Trip Advisor what to do https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ulf_Coast.html

Hotels, the Marriott on Reforma Avenue may be your best bet? Paseo de la Reforma 276, 06600 Cuauhtémoc, CDMX Mexico
I actually have no idea what I want to do as with most of my trips. Food and sightseeing sounds good to me.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I actually have no idea what I want to do as with most of my trips. Food and sightseeing sounds good to me.
I was here for ~5 days about 4-5 years ago and am here now.

My impression of Mexico City based on these two trips is that it has a small handful of amazing historical sites that are quickly exhausted after a couple of days...but that it is a truly fantastic city just to be in for food, drink, and people-watching. If you like living in big cities, it'd be a fantastic place to live.

It has a massive number of museums, but aside from one true world-class one (the National Museum of Anthropology), most are small and speciality and not really destination-worthy, but a skim through TripAdvisor's list of things to do here might expose a few more that are of some interest. A long weekend here would be enough to check off the bucket list to most people's satisfaction, though you could easily spend any number of additional days and just enjoy a constant buffet of amazing food and drink interspersed with people-watching in great parks and browsing markets and things. I did not at all feel unsafe walking (or Lime scootering, ha) around the neighborhoods most tourists hang out in (Centro, Zona Rosa, Condesa/Roma, and Polanco), even after dark.

If you have the time, there are great places to visit nearby. I'm sure @JDiver can expound a bit, but I very much enjoyed the couple days last week in Puebla (and I could have stayed another 1-2 nights easily), which is only a two-hour scenic first-class bus ride away. I hear Cuernavaca is nice as well, and I'm investigating going there and/or elsewhere in the remaining days I have here (I fly home on Saturday).

If you do come, don't miss the pyramids at Teotihuacan. I missed them last time and fortunately was able to rectify that this time. They were far more impressive than I was expecting.
eponymous_coward and ft1984 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:49 pm

Museo Soumaya is amazing, among others (I also recommend the Anthropology Museum, the Modern Art Museum, Museo Rufino Tamayo, and others). I've been to Mexico City a number of times, and it's been great every time. On my most recent trip, I stayed in Centro Historico (Best Western Majestic), Polanco (Camino Real Polanco), the town of Tepoztlan (southeast of the city at Hospedaje Flor de Cera), and Coyoacan (Casa Aldama). This was a good mix. I think next trip I'll focus more on Roma.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:11 pm

Cuernavaca is interesting, and beyond, Taxco is even moreso, IMO.

This was a small colonial town in the cool, forested mountains south of Cuernavaca that was a played out silver mining town. An American on horseback, an artist and architecture professor at Tulane University, fell in love with the town. He settled and began producing furniture and various arts and crafts pieces that became quite popular and hired four goldsmiths fron nearby lowland Iguala to e e Ute his jewelry designs.

His shop burgeoned into a village of smiths and designers, a number like him becoming recognized as world class artisans. His influence on Mexican jewelry continues today. (I learned silver design, manufacturing and repair in Taxco, learning from some who had worked for Don Guillermo (like the Castillo brothers), as he was known.)

Today, Taxco has retained its colonial appearance down to the buildings, required to meet certain specifications to maintain the colonial appearance, and cobbled streets. Though Taxco can be done as a long day trip, it’s a lovely place to spend a couple of days, with some delightful places to stay and eat.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 9, 2019 at 9:38 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:40 am
formerly skyccord
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Cuernavaca is interesting, and beyond, Taxco is even moreso, IMO.

This was a small colonial town in the cool, forested mountains south of Cuernavaca that was a played out silver mining town. An American on horseback, an artist and architecture professor at Tulane University, fell in love with the town. He settled and began producing furniture and various arts and crafts pieces that became quite popular and hired four goldsmiths fron nearby lowland Iguala to e e Ute his jewelry designs.

His shop burgeoned into a village of smiths and designers, a number like him becoming recognized as world class artisans. His influence on Mexican jewelry continues today. (I learned silver design, manufacturing and repair in Taxco, learning from some who had worked for Don Guillermo (like the Castillo brothers), as he was known.)

Today, Taxco has retained its colonial appearance down to the buildings, required to meet certain specifications to maintain the colonial appearance, and cobbled streets. Though Taxco can be done as a long day trip, it’s a lovely place to spend a couple of days, with some delightful places to stay and eat.
How was the rest of the trip?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:40 am

How was the rest of the trip?
I’m unsure of what you’re asking. I’ve been to Taxco many times since the 1940s on everything from day trips from my native Cuernavaca to week long stays.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Definetly you can visit alot of places in 3 days, i highly recommend you to check hop on hop off in Mexico they go around all the city, you can check the museums and "Palacio de Bellas Artes" nice place to see, and now mexico have open the "Pinos" the presidential ex-house
JDiver and ft1984 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I did a walking tour around the Centro Historico during my trip there earlier this month. Got a lot out of it. I liked the Hampton Inn there as well- enough local touches to make it interesting, 80k HH points for a 5 day stay wasn't so bad either.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I did a walking tour around the Centro Historico during my trip there earlier this month. Got a lot out of it. I liked the Hampton Inn there as well- enough local touches to make it interesting, 80k HH points for a 5 day stay wasn't so bad either.
That’s a very good deal, IMO. And the Hampton location is very close to the Zócalo and lots of historic buildings, genuine local eateries, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.