FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mexico (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico-480/)
-   -   Why no flights to Tijuana? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mexico/1925937-why-no-flights-tijuana.html)

germ65 Aug 18, 2018 11:31 pm

Why no flights to Tijuana?

Just looked up flight schedules SFO or SJC to TIJ and there isn't any.

Why is that?

U.S. Airlines taking advantage of their market dominance or some government rule?

Yoshi212 Aug 19, 2018 12:57 am

More likely it's a demand based decision followed by operation in which they can use the aircraft more efficiently for the network going elsewhere. TIJ is in very close proximity to San Diego and doesn't havre the draw that other Mexican cities do.

germ65 Aug 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Was just thinking: How nice it would be to take a flight to TIJ, rent a car there, and drive to the Baja.

If I fly to SAN, I'm guessing I can't rent a car and drive it to Mexico (I suppose I could if I paid exorbitant rates). I would have to land in SAN, get to the border, cross the border, rent a car in MX. Very inconvenient.

I can't believe there's no demand for this.

Eastbay1K Aug 21, 2018 9:01 am

This is just my own personal hot air spewing, and may or may not be worth the bytes you're reading.

TIJ isn't much of a "destination" vacation draw.
TIJ isn't much of a business market.
TIJ isn't much of a family visit market (at least not from air distances).

You'll note that CJS, another huge border city has the same issue.

Also, note that your typical Mexico international airline ticket has over $100 of various taxes and fees. While a SFO/SAN flight might be $175 RT, the same ticket with the airline making the same amount of $ would be about $300 for SFO/TIJ.

JDiver Aug 22, 2018 1:37 am

Another issue is I think a number of xxx-TIJ passengers would want to connect with cheaper or more convenient connections to domestic Mexico or other destinations, which US airlines might perceive as revenue losses.

stvr Sep 8, 2018 5:01 pm

I flew Oakland to Tijuana in 2015.

Fes426 Sep 9, 2018 12:50 pm

Just did this about a month ago and from our experience i'll tell you the best/less hassle free way to do it. Now remember this may vary by time/day you decide to cross the border.

Your best bet is to fly to SAN, uber to the border, cross by foot and rent a car on the opposite side (or uber) This will be the easiest way to do it. Crossing by foot each way does not take long, way way way less than by car. This may sound like a hassle but it is very easy to do because that's what everyone does, so they make it easy for you.

We flew into SAN and rented a car from Hertz but we had to get additional insurance to take the car into Mexico. It was around $38 per day and there may be some restrictions on how far into Mexico you can take it. Baja is pretty large, if you plan on doing Ensenada (this is where we went) or the winery area (Valle de Guadalupe) there you will be fine. If you want to travel to Cabo, thats a 21 hour drive from San Diego so you may to just fly. Getting back into the US is where our troubles started. Driving in Tijuana can be a mess and getting directions from cops is worse, even for me ( a native Spanish speaker). We arrived at Tijuana at 1:30PM and due to different roads being closed, traffic, being mislead, at 4:30PM we had not even found where the line began so we could line up. And you can't cut in, they will pull you out of the line if you do. We decided to head to Tecate which is about 40 minutes away and the crossing still took us ~3 hours of waiting in line. This was on a Sunday afternoon, which is the worst time to cross I hear. We had people cross by foot and it took them about 5 minutes.

tmiw Sep 9, 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 30110274)
TIJ isn't much of a "destination" vacation draw.

Maybe not for the city itself, but what about Ensenada or Valle de Guadalupe? Then again, flying to SAN would probably take care of those visitors too.