Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Mexico DNI fee “exit tax” - entry by air, exit by land...confused

Old Aug 16, 18, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot

I'm off to MEX (from SVO via HAV) for the first time in December but plan on flying to Chetumal to then take a bus into Belize. From what I understand, there is an exit tax that should be paid at land border crossings if it isn't already included in the flight price. Admittedly, we'll be in Mexican territory for no more than 4 days tops, whether that makes a difference I don't know. I checked my booking for a breakdown of fees paid for the flight booking (SVO-HAV-MEX + HAV-SVO via Aeroflot site and of course, with Aeroflot and Aeromexico) I can't seem to find this breakdown at all and still baffled about whether it should be paid or not (although I understand land border guards don't really care if you have or not or if exempt from it etc!)

Any thoughts, anyone?
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Mexican websites are abysmally uninformative and opaque. But there is in fact a Derecho de No-Inmigrante / DNI fee associated with the FMM - not actually a departure fee. But departing Mexico to Belize, if you don’t have some proof that you or your airline have paid the DNI, the Mexican agents will expect you to pay them (as well as to turn in your half of the FMM you were issued on arrival in Mexico.

Arriving by air, that’s usually paid by your airline. Arriving by land, the fee for the FMM must be paid somewhere - often, it’s paid prior to departure at the airport.

The best information I’ve been able to find is this article.

FMM:
Old Aug 16, 18, 7:24 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

NOTE: It seems Belize has some departure fees.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 17, 18, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Useful information, thanks very much! Thankfully, I'm flying out of Belize! Although I haven't booked the flight to GUA yet.

Now I just need to navigate the fee breakdown somewhere on my Aeroflot/Aeromexico ticket!
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
Useful information, thanks very much! Thankfully, I'm flying out of Belize! Although I haven't booked the flight to GUA yet.

Now I just need to navigate the fee breakdown somewhere on my Aeroflot/Aeromexico ticket!
Safe journey!

And if you get the chance, please let us know how it went. It has been some time since I did this (to visit Tikal, so the Belize and Guatemala Land borders.
Old Aug 18, 18, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Safe journey!

And if you get the chance, please let us know how it went. It has been some time since I did this (to visit Tikal, so the Belize and Guatemala Land borders.
Sure, will do, although chances are I'll be flying directly from BZE to GUA! Subject to confirmation
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread