Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Zihuatanejo/ Ixtapa- Worth the visit & where to stay?

Old Aug 4, 18, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

We are thinking about visiting in November. Do you prefer Zihuatenajo or Ixtapa for a 5 day to one week stay? Which hotel? We prefer cat. 4 or 5 hotels. Are there any beaches with calm water? Are there safety concerns re: staying here.? I heard that the State Dept raised this location to a 4.
Old Aug 4, 18, 9:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by konaflyer View Post
We are thinking about visiting in November. Do you prefer Zihuatenajo or Ixtapa for a 5 day to one week stay? Which hotel? We prefer cat. 4 or 5 hotels. Are there any beaches with calm water? Are there safety concerns re: staying here.? I heard that the State Dept raised this location to a 4.
IMO, Ixtapa has gone downhill a lot. My family has had a condo there for thirty years, and they tell me it’s much more crowded, the beaches have deteriorated and are crowded and filthy - and perhaps less safe.

OTOH, Zihuatanejo seems to have held onto some of its exclusivity and intimacy in spots. For years, the romantic place to stay is La Casa Que Canta. I’ve had friends who stayed and really love it. Another I’ve heard good things about is Tentaciones Hotel.

November is generally shoulder season (except for Thanksgiving), and typically the annual price increases occur ~15 December. November should have really good weather.
Old Aug 5, 18, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Thanks for the info. I will check on the two hotels. I have heard about La Casa Que Canta ,but I thought it was located closer to Puerta Vallarte.
Old Aug 5, 18, 8:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Originally Posted by konaflyer View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check on the two hotels. I have heard about La Casa Que Canta ,but I thought it was located closer to Puerta Vallarte.
La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo has been there practically forever, above La Ropa beach. IMO, their website is poorly designed, but the property, restaurant, setting, etc. are stunning.

For a better than theirs website, see https://www.slh.com/hotels/la-casa-que-canta-hotel/.
Attached Images  
Old Aug 5, 18, 3:43 pm

I prefer Zihuatanejo. Do not miss Playa Las Gatas; it is the most popular beach in the area and you can practice different aquatic sports. You can also visit Varadero and Coral beaches, and practice kayak in Playa Quieta.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vfland63 View Post
I prefer Zihuatanejo. Do not miss Playa Las Gatas; it is the most popular beach in the area and you can practice different aquatic sports. You can also visit Varadero and Coral beaches, and practice kayak in Playa Quieta.
I will definitely check those out. Because of everyone's encouragement, I booked my flights for a week n ZIH!
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 7, 18, 7:29 am

My family is partial to Las Brisas (which at one point was the Westin and before?after? a Camino Real). The building was designed by Legorreta in his typical style, which I've always liked - it's interesting in that it's multi-level, but sort of laid on the hill. It's in Ixtapa, but on a separate little stretch of beach, so the beach itself feels more private and is usually less crowded than the main Ixtapa drag.

Heads-up that the open Pacific Ocean, anywhere in southern Mexico, is NOT calm water.
Old Aug 7, 18, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen View Post
My family is partial to Las Brisas (which at one point was the Westin and before?after? a Camino Real). The building was designed by Legorreta in his typical style, which I've always liked - it's interesting in that it's multi-level, but sort of laid on the hill. It's in Ixtapa, but on a separate little stretch of beach, so the beach itself feels more private and is usually less crowded than the main Ixtapa drag.

Heads-up that the open Pacific Ocean, anywhere in southern Mexico, is NOT calm water.
That’s another reason I prefer Zihuatanejo - all of its bay and more protected beaches.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread