Reload this Page >

Acapulco vs Cabo vs Puerto Vallarta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acapulco vs Cabo vs Puerto Vallarta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:40 am

In my opinion, i think Cabo its better but for not to much from the others two places.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The entire Acapulco police force has been suspended and is under investigation for links to and infiltration by criminal groups.

Marines surrounded the police headquarters and disarmed 700 officers.
Federal police and the military will now patrol the city instead.

Acapulco became famous as a destination for the rich and famous in the 1950s and 1960s but has since become a hotspot for drug trafficking and has a high murder rate.
Link to today’s BBC story.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Some context - this is not the first time the Municipal Police have been sacked/suspended en masse in Acapulco. Last time they were out for a year, and crime went down. The military and federal police were already largely responsible for security in the tourist area and have been for more than 5 years. Removing the municipal police has a greater affect on the non-tourist parts of the city. This action, despite its publicity, will have little or no bearing on a tourist's vacation.

That being said, I will reiterate if your interest is in finding the objectively safest beach destination in Mexico, that is Puerto Vallarta.
JDiver and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I love Puerto Vallarta. The ocean water is a little murky, but the resorts and people are SO FRIENDLY. Stick to the main areas and the resort, and you won't have any problem whatsoever. I am typing this from the PVR airport VIP lounge, BTW.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
I love Puerto Vallarta. The ocean water is a little murky, but the resorts and people are SO FRIENDLY. Stick to the main areas and the resort, and you won't have any problem whatsoever. I am typing this from the PVR airport VIP lounge, BTW.
I'm not staying at a resort- I tend to think the all-inclusives are rather confining. I'll be in a cheap and cheerful old-school inn in the Zona Romantica and will putter around town the days I am there before heading to Mexico City.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by RFNJ
I don't know why you are all running down Acapulco. I have been there a bunch of time, most recently for a month in July, with no issues whatsoever. The reality is that with the exception of Puerto Vallarta, no place is really insulated from the issues. As for saying even the Mexicans aren't going down there, that's a crock. I am over by Caleta & Caletilla and the beaches were packed 2-3 umbrellas deep every day, with buses from Mexico City hogging all the parking.
All three places have their charm, and all three are worth visiting, all are different experiences. If security is going to be your overarching concern, go to Puerto Vallarta.
I hardly said “Mexicans aren’t going down there”, if you care to reread. I actually said my family won’t go there (though they’re Mexicans, all Mexicans aren’t my family). Many Mexicans are unaware of or ignore the security and health issues in and around Acapulco, and find it an easy to get to and economical destination (especially compared to Cancún and the Riviera Maya). My context is having been born in Mexico in the early 1940s, living there for years and maintaining very close connections with my Mexican family and longtime friends.

Anyone traveling will hopefully do a bit of digging to be sure their planned destinations meet their goals and needs, as well as meet their budget and acceptable risk profile.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
I hardly said “Mexicans aren’t going down there”, if you care to reread. I actually said my family won’t go there (though they’re Mexicans, all Mexicans aren’t my family). Many Mexicans are unaware of or ignore the security and health issues in and around Acapulco, and find it an easy to get to and economical destination (especially compared to Cancún and the Riviera Maya). My context is having been born in Mexico in the early 1940s, living there for years and maintaining very close connections with my Mexican family and longtime friends.
That was my context for concern- I'm not an all-inclusive guy, I like to explore a place, do the "temporary local" thing Rick Steves talks about. But if the locals are raising eyebrows and changing their behavior, it's probably not a good idea for someone who only knows un poquito of Spanish and decidedly is NOT an experienced traveler in the region (some time in the Riviera Maya and Cabo, but not a ton) to blithely go places without some eye for risk, which is why I changed plans from Zihuatanejo to PV. I'll see how I like Puerto Vallarta and Mexico City- I rather liked Costa Rica earlier this year.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That was my context for concern- I'm not an all-inclusive guy, I like to explore a place, do the "temporary local" thing Rick Steves talks about. But if the locals are raising eyebrows and changing their behavior, it's probably not a good idea for someone who only knows un poquito of Spanish and decidedly is NOT an experienced traveler in the region (some time in the Riviera Maya and Cabo, but not a ton) to blithely go places without some eye for risk, which is why I changed plans from Zihuatanejo to PV. I'll see how I like Puerto Vallarta and Mexico City- I rather liked Costa Rica earlier this year.
I hear you.

We used to go to the area just north of PVR - no resorts, so camping on the beach or at La Peñita campground and trailer park (even free-dived from the peninsula there and got some small pearls from oysters I dived for). Visits to Chacala (once a small port used in the Manila galleon trade, with goods being transhipped by land to Veracruz), diving at Rincón de Guayabitos, hanging out at Sayulita, Cruz de Guanacaxtle, Punta de Mita, San Francisco, Lo De Marcos, Higuera Blanca, Litubú Beach, day trip to San Blás (assuming the road from Santa Cruz was halfway decent), etc. Mostly dirt roads in those days, tending to becoming impassable in strong rains.

The last time we flew over the area I saw so much development I could hardly recognize it. And Google Earth shows amazing changes.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 13, 2018 at 9:20 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'll see how I like Puerto Vallarta and Mexico City- I rather liked Costa Rica earlier this year.
I've been going to Mexico City on and off for about 25 years, with more "on" again in the past few years. I've always liked it, but it has never been as good as it is now. Just remember that it is a big city experience, unlike the rest of the discussion. That said, I've never felt like I'm in the middle of one of the world's largest cities ... until I am sitting in a car, not moving.
eponymous_coward and TWA884 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Originally Posted by JDiver
I hardly said “Mexicans aren’t going down there”, if you care to reread. I actually said my family won’t go there (though they’re Mexicans, all Mexicans aren’t my family). .
I think we got some wires crossed, my friend. I was referring to EastBay1Ks direct quote "Many Mexican nationals are avoiding vacation visits." I have no basis to comment on the fact your family does no longer goes.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by RFNJ
I think we got some wires crossed, my friend. I was referring to EastBay1Ks direct quote "Many Mexican nationals are avoiding vacation visits." I have no basis to comment on the fact your family does no longer goes.
I was with some extended family in Xochimilco yesterday (lifelong residents of Mexico) and the topic came up of someone we know visiting her family in Acapulco (a USA resident) and the theme was pretty much "why would anyone go there now, too dangerous." And this is from people who are perfectly content living in Mexico and had their longtime house burgled within the past few years.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Is possible to pick one?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it was quite possible; I only had a little over a week and the plane tickets were into PVR and out of MEX, so those cities HAD to be on the list. I rather liked PV, but I liked CDMX too.

All told if Zihua and Acapulco aren't terribly safe I'm not inclined to stray much- though I really liked Mexico overall. All told PV and the area near Tulum/Akumal were a tie in "I'd go back here" (though I haven't made it back), with Cabo down the list (it seemed more touristed out/less what I wanted, though not bad). Mexico City definitely gets another visit too.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:58 pm
Suspended

It's really sad to know that the best option to visit is Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco has lately been caught up in a big crime wave. So I recommend you to visit Puerto Vallarta, although you should always be on the lookout for anything.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by brandodelacruz0987
It's really sad to know that the best option to visit is Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco has lately been caught up in a big crime wave. So I recommend you to visit Puerto Vallarta, although you should always be on the lookout for anything.
I’d probably still be comfortable visiting Zihuatanejo - much less bustling and much cozier than nearby newer über-developed Ixtapa. But it’s sad what has been happening in the state of Guerrero, and extended into Michoacán, one of my favorite places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.