Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Cancun airport ground transport disruptions 30 May 2018 on

Cancun airport ground transport disruptions 30 May 2018 on

Old May 30, 18, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Cancun airport ground transport disruptions 30 May 2018 on

If you are traveling to/from Cancun (CUN), be advised that the taxi union in staging blockade protests of not only the airport, but the one major roadway serving the Mayan Riviera (Mex-307), including the airport area, Playa del Carmen, and all the way to Tulum. They are protesting a vote by the state (Quintana Roo) congress on Monday that opens the door to Uber and other similar electronic ride share companies. You may want to follow local news and allow extra time if traveling in the area. One news article is https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/un...ncun/2018.html.
Old Jun 1, 18, 9:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec
Any word if Cozumel is impacted as well?
Old Jun 1, 18, 7:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
Any word if Cozumel is impacted as well?
Good question. The Cozumel “taxi mafia” is separate from the Cancún area taxi mafia, so I’m guessing they’re not involved. Plus Coz is more controlled due to the smaller size of the island.
Old Jun 20, 18, 11:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec
I can confirm there were no issues in Cozumel last week.
Old Jun 29, 18, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Any updates on the situation? Is Uber operating again?

Considering renting a car for 1 day to avoid the airport transfer scam (staying nearby at the Westin).
Old Jul 2, 18, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
Considering renting a car for 1 day to avoid the airport transfer scam (staying nearby at the Westin).

Be really, REALLY careful renting and driving a vehicle in Mexico. Driving in Mexico requires a level of situational awareness and defensive driving that would you never need in the USA. (And never drive at night!)

Also, your US-based insurance will NOT work in Mexico, and you will be required to purchase separate Mexican insurance, which might be more than the cost of the rental itself. (Last few times I've rented vehicles in Latin America, the insurance doubled the overall cost of the rental.)

I highly recommend using USA Transfers or a similar company, and skip all the headaches and stress associated with renting and driving in Mexico.
Old Jul 3, 18, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
Be really, REALLY careful renting and driving a vehicle in Mexico. Driving in Mexico requires a level of situational awareness and defensive driving that would you never need in the USA. (And never drive at night!)
Perhaps this could be right for a renter from rural Ohio. I have driven all over Latin America, Africa, and I live in a place where driving is so dangerous it makes Yucatan driving seem like a cruise to me (I've rented in Cancun/Yucatan 3-4 in the past). Also, I speak fluent spanish.

Also, your US-based insurance will NOT work in Mexico, and you will be required to purchase separate Mexican insurance, which might be more than the cost of the rental itself. (Last few times I've rented vehicles in Latin America, the insurance doubled the overall cost of the rental.)
Also, I don't know the details on US insurance, by my credit card insurance makes it ABUNDANTLY clear that I would be covered in any event for a car rental in Mexico.

I highly recommend using USA Transfers or a similar company, and skip all the headaches and stress associated with renting and driving in Mexico.
I checked their prices, and at U$55 one way for a 7-mile ride, I find this to be nothing short of highway robbery. In fact, mile per mile, it's more expensive than a London black cab, especially considering this is Mexico, and not London. Maybe it's worth it for a family of 8... Even if I buy all the insurance add-ons rip-offs from Hertz & Co, it'd still be cheaper to rent for 24h and have a car available for an outing, etc.

Uber in Cancun can't come quickly enough...

(update) I have just booked with "Globo Go" for a more reasonable $25 (MXN 525) and will report in the appropriate forum upon my return.

Last edited by RafKa; Jul 3, 18 at 9:21 am

Search this Thread